Kanaan Carlyle Commits to INDIANA!

Looks like we have 7 guys that could be considered starters.

Galloway

Rice

Carlyle

Reneau

MM

Bello

Tucker

We will see if tucker is that good or not.  

Cupps Newton and Leal are very interesting.  All are very capable of cracking the rotation and playing very meaningful minutes.  We need at least one more big for the rotation.  MM can easily play some 4 and gives this team a lot of flexibility.  We have had flexibility in the roster the last few years.  We finally look like we have quality guard depth.  A big with 3pt range would be nice

20 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Now our starting unit is in intact I think we finish up with a backup 4 and 5. I know people will say we still need shooters but I think guys like Rice and Carlyle will take a step up next year. Hopefully Galloway can get back to where he was his junior year. I think he was asked to do touch last year and it caused his shooting percentage to go down. Also MM is a very good shooter who will only get better.

PG- Rice/Galloway/Cupps

2G- Carlyle/Newton

SF- MM/Tucker/Leal

PF- Reneau/?

C- Ballo/?

Ware?

3 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

Looks like we have 7 guys that could be considered starters.

Galloway

Rice

Carlyle

Reneau

MM

Bello

Tucker

We will see if tucker is that good or not.  

Cupps Newton and Leal are very interesting.  All are very capable of cracking the rotation and playing very meaningful minutes.  We need at least one more big for the rotation.  MM can easily play some 4 and gives this team a lot of flexibility.  We have had flexibility in the roster the last few years.  We finally look like we have quality guard depth.  A big with 3pt range would be nice

With all the talent we’re accumulating, I hope we can finally rebound and defend the 3pt line. How many times over the past couple of years have we been killed by offensive rebounds, and torched from deep by the opposing team? And of course, we need to hit some 3s ourselves on a higher volume of shots.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1

I would like to see how all these new players play as team first before we start clamoring for deep tournament runs.  This is only one part of the puzzle.  Next is building a culture and getting the team to buyin.  As we have seen from Kentucky recruiting doesn’t dictate success, the coaches job is not over by any means and my confidence is probably less than 50/50 until I see otherwise.  As I always say, first 5-10 games are where we will really see what potential there is.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Portal highlight video

sorry…don’t know how to embed…but for those interested…

Really like these videos. Shows the good and bad. Seems like Carlyle’s strengths were catch and shoot, spot up, and dribble handoffs. Off the dribble and ball screens weren’t great. Seems to indicate he’ll be better as an off ball guard, which works well with rice.

One thing that was pretty shocking was his transition numbers were 0.48 point per possession. That’s crazy low, and I’m assuming comes from trying to force stuff that wasn’t there. If that’s right, that sort of thing should get better with experience.

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

With all the talent we’re accumulating, I hope we can finally rebound and defend the 3pt line. How many times over the past couple of years have we been killed by offensive rebounds, and torched from deep by the opposing team? And of course, we need to hit some 3s ourselves on a higher volume of shots.

That is what is nice about having 7 guys that can start. If someone is off you can go to the bench and still get the same level of play. Cupps Leal and maybe even Newton are very serviceable bench players. Cupps just might develop into an 8th type of starter. He will need to improve his strength and shooting as well as his defensive but he seems capable as the year goes on 

4 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I would like to see how all these new players play as team first before we start clamoring for deep tournament runs.  This is only one part of the puzzle.  Next is building a culture and getting the team to buyin.  As we have seen from Kentucky recruiting doesn’t dictate success, the coaches job is not over by any means and my confidence is probably less than 50/50 until I see otherwise.  As I always say, first 5-10 games are where we will really see what potential there is.

It has to be asked…who is the leader? Galloway might not be starting and Reneau doesn’t seem to have the temperament. We saw it a lot this year with X out. When Trayce and Race left….we lost a ton of leadership.

Thats a big part of how teams come together. A lot of new players.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

It has to be asked…who is the leader? Galloway might not be starting and Reneau doesn’t seem to have the temperament. We saw it a lot this year with X out. When Trayce and Race left….we lost a ton of leadership.

Ballo is a 5th year senior, and when a dude like that talks, people tend to listen. Not sure of his mindset or personality, but he’s a possibility. 

• Like 3

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Ballo is a 5th year senior, and when a dude like that talks, people tend to listen. Not sure of his mindset or personality, but he’s a possibility. 

I hope they all talk…it was a reason our defense was so atrocious last year. No one calling out screens, helping each other out with where they need to be.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thats a big part of how teams come together. A lot of new players.

Rice and Galloway 

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Rice and Galloway 

Galloway was a senior last year and still didn’t show me any leadership. Not sure if that will be the case this year. He could though….especially if he sacrifices and is willing to take on a stopper role and a spark plug guy off the bench. 

Its hard to be a leader when you are the new guy but yes…hopefully someone emerges.

Edited by dgambill

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Galloway was a senior last year and still didn’t show me any leadership. Not sure if that will be the case this year. He could though….especially if he sacrifices and is willing to take on a stopper role and a spark plug guy off the bench. 

Its hard to be a leader when you are the new guy but yes…hopefully someone emerges.

I thought Trey got better with his leadership as the year wore on...The Ohio State game in Columbus and the 5 game streak at the end, I thought he led very well...

You'd think being a coach's kid it'd be a natural fit, but it just doesn't suit some players...

• Like 5

If Rice or Carlyle have the ability to create their own shots, it's a step in the right direction. IU has missed that as an option. Trey was the closest thing they had with his drive and floater. Then consider if Rice or Carlyle can also create open shots for others, it's even better.

The bonus is allowing Trey to move to his more natural position could  pay big dividends. When JHS  was the primary ball handler it allowed Trey to spot up for open looks. He had his best season offensively. It also allows him to get back to being disruptive on D. I believe he expended a lot of energy trying to be a point guard, which he is not.

Today they are much closer. Still need a shooter. Still need one more legit big. Must have insurance options who can step in for injuries.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

If Rice or Carlyle have the ability to create their own shots, it's a step in the right direction. IU has missed that as an option. Trey was the closest thing they had with his drive and floater. Then consider if Rice or Carlyle can also create open shots for others, it's even better.

The bonus is allowing Trey to move to his more natural position could  pay big dividends. When JHS  was the primary ball handler it allowed Trey to spot up for open looks. He had his best season offensively. It also allows him to get back to being disruptive on D. I believe he expended a lot of energy trying to be a point guard, which he is not.

Today they are much closer. Still need a shooter. Still need one more legit big. Must have insurance options who can step in for injuries.

I think we have enough guards if Newton is healthy. I think a stretch 4 that can shoot and play 10-12 mins would be the goal….shooting doesn’t have to be in the shape of a guard when there is so little minutes there.  A true back up 5 that can give you energy off the bench would be the other.  Not sure there are guard minutes there unless Newton redshirts again. Maybe there is a grad transfer with Indiana ties that would like to round out the team.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think we have enough guards if Newton is healthy. I think a stretch 4 that can shoot and play 10-12 mins would be the goal….shooting doesn’t have to be in the shape of a guard when there is so little minutes there.  A true back up 5 that can give you energy off the bench would be the other.  Not sure there are guard minutes there unless Newton redshirts again. Maybe there is a grad transfer with Indiana ties that would like to round out the team.

Find your Lance Jones….a kid who dreams of playing in the NCAA at a big time school 

Or heaven forbid a graduate who wants to go to grad school at a world class university 

CMW and his minions must have connections to other coaches to find these players 

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Surprised (pleasantly) to see KC already projected as a mid 1st rounder in the 2025 draft…well ahead of highly coveted guys like Storr, K Knox, Bradshaw, etc  

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2025

I also see #2 & #3.  Hope that experiment crashes and burns and Nutgers sucks for the next hundred years.  That's how little I think of the douchebag Harper family.

• Like 1