Langdon Hatton commits to IU

Langdon Hatton completes the portal haul!

cP5Odgh.png
Indiana Hoosiers Scholarship Grid

2024 - 2025
(-1)
2025 - 2026
(-6)
2026 - 2027
(-7)
2027 - 2028
(-11)
Trey
Galloway
Open Open Open
Anthony
Leal
Open Open Open
Oumar
Ballo
Open Open Open
Luke
Goode
Open Open Open
Langdon
Hatton
Open Open Open
Malik
Reneau
Malik
Reneau
Open Open
Kanaan
Carlyle
Kanaan
Carlyle
Kanaan
Carlyle
Open
Gabe
Cupps
Gabe
Cupps
Gabe
Cupps
Open
Mackenzie
Mgbako
Mackenzie
Mgbako
Mackenzie
Mgbako
Open
Myles
Rice
Myles
Rice
Myles
Rice
Open
Jakai
Newton REdShrit2.png.5927c4614a8a2607527e2bc87ca74ce4.png
Jakai
Jakai
Jakai
Bryson
Tucker
Bryson
Tucker
Bryson
Tucker
Bryson
Tucker
Open Open Open Open

cP5Odgh.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Congrats to Hatton.  Great achievement for any Indiana boy to lock in IU.  He looks like a nice pickup as a backup big.   

We can be very selective with that last spot.  Developmental player, late transfer, decommitment somewhere else, European who falls out of the sky, who knows.  

Lot of learnings from last off season. It sucks that we were subjected to that but at least they had the humility to correct their ways.  

The support and insight that Scott Dolson provides sure seems to be tremendous.  Until proven otherwise, I think he’s a heroic figure in a sea of administrative dysfunction.   This offseason has decidedly demonstrated to any other coach out there the resources that IU has and proven what a first rate job this is.   Dolson figures prominently in all that.  IMO

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Congrats to Hatton.  Great achievement for any Indiana boy to lock in IU.  He looks like a nice pickup as a backup big.   

We can be very selective with that last spot.  Developmental player, late transfer, decommitment somewhere else, European who falls out of the sky, who knows.  

Lot of learnings from last off season. It sucks that we were subjected to that but at least they had the humility to correct their ways.  

The support and insight that Scott Dolson provides sure seems to be tremendous.  Until proven otherwise, I think he’s a heroic figure in a sea of administrative dysfunction.   This offseason has decidedly demonstrated to any other coach out there the resources that IU has and proven what a first rate job this is.   Dolson figures prominently in all that.  IMO

I would bet this is it and won't feel the 13th scholarship 

Happy for Hatton.  Saw him play multiple times in high school, going head to head against TKR.  Saw his dad play in high school as well.  His sister was an Indiana All-Star who did not get to play against Kentucky due to injury.

Playing time might be limited.  Woodson does not like to go more than 9-10 deep, and I expect Reneau to get the bulk of minutes at the 5 when Ballo is out of the game.  But, it doesn't hurt one bit to have a Southern Indiana kid on the roster after seeing TKR and Benter go to the school in West Lafayette.   

Staff hit a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth with 2 outs to walk it off this off-season. I get the NIL is great, but everyone here would have laughed if you told them we’d bring in what may end up the #1 portal class after Liam decommitted. Just a phenomenal job by Woodson and company. Most talent in the Big Ten. Now lets go win some ball games.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, KDB said:

Staff hit a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth with 2 outs to walk it off this off-season. I get the NIL is great, but everyone here would have laughed if you told them we’d bring in what may end up the #1 portal class after Liam decommitted. Just a phenomenal job by Woodson and company. Most talent in the Big Ten. Now lets go win some ball games.

It's interesting that the decommit of a 5-Star prospect may have changed IU's fortunes for the better.  I doubt this level of portal success happens if McNeeley had remained committed.  Not as much urgency would have been on the staff.

That said, the product on the floor has to be significantly better next year.  Anything short of a Round of 32 finish next year will be deemed a failure with this roster.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It's interesting that the decommit of a 5-Star prospect may have changed IU's fortunes for the better.  I doubt this level of portal success happens if McNeeley had remained committed.  Not as much urgency would have been on the staff.

That said, the product on the floor has to be significantly better next year.  Anything short of a Round of 32 finish next year will be deemed a failure with this roster.

Those must have been incredible meetings…..

”Coach…you have no recruits and the ship is….BEEP BEEP BEEP!

There’s a Brinks truck with Simon on it backing up to the loading dock 

Simon says let there be players (especially guards) 

trying to imagine getting a million dollars as a college kid….it would ended in income tax evasion and 🍕 🍺

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KDB said:

Why would it been different? We basically swapped 5* with Tucker…I don’t see anything changing. I just didn’t realize how much those supporting Woodson was willing to pay to see their guy succeed. We have plenty of talent…now it comes down to if Woody can coach it. Not saying he can’t but he has everything a coach could ask for…so it’s put up or shut up….better be no hump he can’t get them over.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Those must have been incredible meetings…..

”Coach…you have no recruits and the ship is….BEEP BEEP BEEP!

There’s a Brinks truck with Simon on it backing up to the loading dock 

Simon says let there be players (especially guards) 

trying to imagine getting a million dollars as a college kid….it would ended in income tax evasion and 🍕 🍺

Imagine Coach Knight dealing with this era of kids…disaster…but then I also imagine a coach like Crean and how he could have put together a roster and filled holes on his misses…he would have had some fun teams.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Imagine Coach Knight dealing with this era of kids…disaster…but then I also imagine a coach like Crean and how he could have put together a roster and filled holes on his misses…he would have had some fun teams.

Crean is an interesting case. On one hand, I could see him thriving in this environment, but his tenure at GA was destroyed by mass transfers out of the program. He had nine players transfer out after year three (his six leading scorers), which led to year four being his last. Would he be able to keep players with NIL or would they still go elsewhere for equal or more cash?

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Crean is an interesting case. On one hand, I could see him thriving in this environment, but his tenure at GA was destroyed by mass transfers out of the program. He had nine players transfer out after year three (his six leading scorers), which led to year four being his last. Would he be able to keep players with NIL or would they still go elsewhere for equal or more cash?

He recently had an interview on Hoosier Hysterics - a lot of that was because GA was not prepared at all for NIL - they had scraps to offer when NIL went into effect the summer of 2021. I think if given the right opportunity he could thrive. He may be like Underwood in the sense that his personality may wear players out over a few years, but because he's a workaholic, I think he'd always get good transfers in to offset the transfers out. Say what you will about the man, but he coached D Wade, Oladipo, OG and Anthony Edwards....that's quite the resume. 

On another note, I could listen to Crean talk basketball for days. If I can catch any interview he does, I always enjoy the listen. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

He recently had an interview on Hoosier Hysterics - a lot of that was because GA was not prepared at all for NIL - they had scraps to offer when NIL went into effect the summer of 2021. I think if given the right opportunity he could thrive. He may be like Underwood in the sense that his personality may wear players out over a few years, but because he's a workaholic, I think he'd always get good transfers in to offset the transfers out. Say what you will about the man, but he coached D Wade, Oladipo, OG and Anthony Edwards....that's quite the resume. 

On another note, I could listen to Crean talk basketball for days. If I can catch any interview he does, I always enjoy the listen. 

I have to raise an eyebrow concerning the bolded. Georgia had a well oiled machine concerning runners and bag men. NIL falls right into their playbook, how else have they so quickly turned the tide on Alabama football?!

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I have to raise an eyebrow concerning the bolded. Georgia had a well oiled machine concerning runners and bag men. NIL falls right into their playbook, how else have they so quickly turned the tide on Alabama football?!

it was a few weeks ago, but if I recall correctly, CTC was talking about how the AD and sports program need to be on the same page. The responsibility of fundraising for collectives needs to be shared: coaches, administrators and donors need to be on the same page. It actually made me thankful for Dolson who grew up fundraising/developing connections in the IU Varsity Club. Reading in between the lines: at the time GA only cared about football and the belief that highly coveted athletes would be able to earn their own outside of a collective, which was true in the case of GA football because their fans are as ravenous as IU Basketball fans. But basketball at GA was an after-thought. 

I think some may take for granted of how on top of the NIL IU was from the very beginning. Rather than bitching about how it's changing the game, the athletic department saw it as an opportunity and began organizing immediately. A lot of schools were left tumbling in the wake, trying to catch up. 

I'm not sure Crean was implying that solely would've saved his job, but I think he thought it was a factor on why his team was decimated that last year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

it was a few weeks ago, but if I recall correctly, CTC was talking about how the AD and sports program need to be on the same page. The responsibility of fundraising for collectives needs to be shared: coaches, administrators and donors need to be on the same page. It actually made me thankful for Dolson who grew up fundraising/developing connections in the IU Varsity Club. Reading in between the lines: at the time GA only cared about football and the belief that highly coveted athletes would be able to earn their own outside of a collective, which was true in the case of GA football because their fans are as ravenous as IU Basketball fans. But basketball at GA was an after-thought. 

I think some may take for granted of how on top of the NIL IU was from the very beginning. Rather than bitching about how it's changing the game, the athletic department saw it as an opportunity and began organizing immediately. A lot of schools were left tumbling in the wake, trying to catch up. 

I'm not sure Crean was implying that solely would've saved his job, but I think he thought it was a factor on why his team was decimated that last year. 

Some of the most enjoyable basketball over the last 20 years were put on the floor by Coach Crean.  I was ready for him to go when it happened, but just like the Episodes 1,2 and 3 of Star wars, it only took a little time to realize how good they were.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

That is for football and not basketball 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

RMK would be Izzo or MP or Wright ✌️ 

IU is still a blue blood but somehow CMW couldn’t recruit or only wanted 5 stars delivered 

He has brought in more talent in one than RMK ever did….most since fab 5?