Romeo Langford

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This. If IU/Archie has exhausted all other options and we still have one left...sure. But that wasn't the agreement. 

Archie is quoted in saying he doesn't necessarily like to fill all 13 scholarships because it leads to kids not getting the playing time they expect so I'm expecting McBob to be awarded the scholly regardless. If we get Romeo I'd be surprised if he attempted to fill that 13th scholarship in the first place. That being said, I'd be shocked if McRoberts cared about saving the 15k it will cost for his last year of school. That family isn't hurting for money. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This. If IU/Archie has exhausted all other options and we still have one left...sure. But that wasn't the agreement. 

He should get one regardless. He can most likely grad transfer, it would be incredibly stupid to not give him one when he has earned it just because that wasn't the original deal with Crean. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Well he's a walkon.  If we can fill it with someone else that can help us and McRoberts would stay.. then use it on someone else. 

How do we know he would stay? What message does it send to the whole program if he isn't rewarded for what he has accomplished? 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How do we know he would stay? What message does it send to the whole program if he isn't rewarded for what he has accomplished? 

UL did it with Kuric. He was a starter. I don't really care either way.. obviously Archie isn't going to mishandle it, so I'm not at all worried. 

McRoberts strikes me as the kind of kid that would turn down a scholly for the sake of making the team and program better.  Sure he deserves it but I don't think he needs it to be happy.  He's living out a dream already.  Plus he already gave up a scholarship to play ball.  As far as we know maybe Archie already offered him and he turned it down.  At any rate if we have an open spot and no prospects then I don't think anyone would object to him being given the scholly.

Go Hoosiers!!!

39 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well he's a walkon.  If we can fill it with someone else that can help us and McRoberts would stay.. then use it on someone else. 

I get your point but we can't know that he wasn't told he could earn a scholarship. That being said I could see him not caring and telling Archie to get another piece to the puzzle if that option presented itself. From what I understand his parents are pretty well to do and his brother is a multimillionaire,  it's not my place to speculate but something tells me he isn't "in need" of the scholarship but that doesn't mean he doesn't want it. As for him staying or not, I have no reason to believe he would leave if he didn't get it...no one knows his current academic standing and how many credits he was able to transfer after coming here I won't assume he's a grad transfer candidate until I hear otherwise. I'm basing my guess that Archie won't fill both spots on his comments surrounding having 13 scholarship players on a roster and thus McBob will be awarded a scholly. We also don't know know if we'll lose any guys to transfer anyway so the point may be moot to begin with.

1 hour ago, Indy1987 said:

McRoberts strikes me as the kind of kid that would turn down a scholly for the sake of making the team and program better.  Sure he deserves it but I don't think he needs it to be happy.  He's living out a dream already.  Plus he already gave up a scholarship to play ball.  As far as we know maybe Archie already offered him and he turned it down.  At any rate if we have an open spot and no prospects then I don't think anyone would object to him being given the scholly.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Sure, we don't know what happens behind the scenes but the first available scholarship would be after this season. Maybe that talk has happened, but the point being made is that Zach has earned first right of refusal on one of the two open scholarships. 

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, we don't know what happens behind the scenes but the first available scholarship would be after this season. Maybe that talk has happened, but the point being made is that Zach has earned first right of refusal on one of the two open scholarships. 

There's a rumor that we might be taking that kid from Toledo as a grad transfer.  If so, I don't see Mcroberts getting a scholarship. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

There's a rumor that we might be taking that kid from Toledo as a grad transfer.  If so, I don't see Mcroberts getting a scholarship. 

I can't fathom that rumor being accurate. That would be a major NCAA violation if we are talking to a kid on scholarship elsewhere about playing here, right? 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can't fathom that rumor being accurate. That would be a major NCAA violation if we are talking to a kid on scholarship elsewhere about playing here, right? 

Hold on... He didn't state everything clearly. The rumor was that the kid was going to go to IU after he graduated his JR year. They never said anything about IU having talked to this kid at all, which I'm sure we haven't. Also.. the guy who stated it said he lived in Eville where the Sanford kid was from. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hold on... He didn't state everything clearly. The rumor was that the kid was going to go to IU after he graduated his JR year. They never said anything about IU having talked to this kid at all, which I'm sure we haven't. Also.. the guy who stated it said he lived in Eville where the Sanford kid was from. 

I looked at Toledo's roster and they have two guys that average around 18pts a game. One is a junior from Evansville wo is a 6'3 guard but it does not appear he has redshirted so he would have to be able to graduate in 3 years.  The other one is a 6'7 guard/sf type who has transferred from Colorado but this appears to be his 4th year playing so I don't think he would be the one.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I looked at Toledo's roster and they have two guys that average around 18pts a game. One is a junior from Evansville wo is a 6'3 guard but it does not appear he has redshirted so he would have to be able to graduate in 3 years.  The other one is a 6'7 guard/sf type who has transferred from Colorado but this appears to be his 4th year playing so I don't think he would be the one.

I told you who it was? Jaelen Sanford

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Isn't there an open scholly this semester(with CuJo transfer)?  Is there something holding Archie back from offering it now?  Why would he wait?

Go Hoosiers!!!

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

How in the world could he be going to IU on scholarship without talking to a coach? If that is already decided then we have committed a major no no. 

This sounds a lot more like fans trying to put the pieces together than something actually in the works. If it is in the works then we should run away. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Can he play defense? His offensive numbers are pretty impressive. Although I can't imagine he'd want to transfer here if we land Romeo. 

This is all just opinion based.. but Stuhoo did find a video that said Jaelen usually guarded the other teams best player. Also.. we still have mins for him regardless of Romeo and there's a solid chance he grew up an IU fan, so it might be a dream just to wear the candy stripes, playing time wouldn't matter nearly as much then. 

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

University recently announced that McBob is graduating after this year and coming back for his last year of eligibility.  So it seems like his future has already been discussed/decided, but who knows if he’s going to get a scholarship or not.

Oh really? Where was that said?

Archived