Trivia

rico

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Yes sir.....

A this talk about strikeouts in a game reminded me...

In 1962 a nondescript pitcher named Tom Cheney of the "new" Washington Senators struckout 21 Detroit Tigers in a 16 inning game...

My father in laws 1st cousin, Bud Zipfel, hit a homer in the top of the 16th to win the game for Cheney and the Senators. 

Sidenote: Cheney struck out the last batter of the game for #21. His name? Dick Williams. Yep, THAT Dick Williams...

• Like 2

Okay, if anyone could ever come up with the answer to this one, I would be forever thankful! Believe me I have searched and not come close to an answer. My best friend in Russia has a last name of Anokhina, supposedly her father was a champion discus thrower. (probably in the 80's) Anybody willing to help me out and give me his name?

Side note apparently marital bliss was not evident in her family and she doesn't even know if he's alive. 

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Okay, if anyone could ever come up with the answer to this one, I would be forever thankful! Believe me I have searched and not come close to an answer. My best friend in Russia has a last name of Anokhina, supposedly her father was a champion discus thrower. (probably in the 80's) Anybody willing to help me out and give me his name?

Side note apparently marital bliss was not evident in her family and she doesn't even know if he's alive. 

Not my forte.  I know 2 discus guys...Al Oerter and Warsaw's own, Randy Heisler.

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Sorry. There's a reason I never could read all of War and Peace. Russians and names make my brain a little confused.

1 hour ago, rico said:

What former college football QB went on to become an owner of a minor league baseball team as well as a TV star.  He also had a brother-in-law that went to a "Garden Party?"

I think I know this one...is his father a Heisman Trophy winner?

If you watched a certain show, you'll know these, but I thought they were good ones...

Who is the only kicker (and that was his ONLY position) in NFL history to win the league MVP award?

And...

Who was the last kicker to score a point with the "straight on" kicking style (not drop kick) in the NFL?

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Are you counting a punter as a kicker? 

If so, I believe Ray Guy is the answer to the first question..

Well, I hadn't meant to, but being as only one player whose sole job was to kick the football has won it, I will...

But Ray Guy is not the answer...

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If you watched a certain show, you'll know these, but I thought they were good ones...

Who is the only kicker (and that was his ONLY position) in NFL history to win the league MVP award?

And...

Who was the last kicker to score a point with the "straight on" kicking style (not drop kick) in the NFL?

Boy....plenty of great kickers to choose from but no clue where to even start. Don't remember one ever winning MVP either.