Purdue Pregame Thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No clue. Depends how desperate they are and how much they can truly afford. I feel like financially Purdue is in a better spot than UL right now. 

According to what I read on another board, Brohm is making more(now) than what Petrino is(was).

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No clue. Depends how desperate they are and how much they can truly afford. I feel like financially Purdue is in a better spot than UL right now. 

Louisville has been one of the most profitable athletic departments for years. Not saying Purdue doesn't have resources (we know they do) but Louisville has more and has showing they will spend.....where until recently Purdue likes to count their pennies.

I'll say this only for the benefit of IU. If Purdue ponies up.....I can't imagine Fred and his ego will sit there idle with the checkbook. Could actually force IU's hand to spend more on staff. This whole situation screams win/win for IU.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Louisville has been one of the most profitable athletic departments for years. Not saying Purdue doesn't have resources (we know they do) but Louisville has more and has showing they will spend.....where until recently Purdue likes to count their pennies.

I'll say this only for the benefit of IU. If Purdue ponies up.....I can't imagine Fred and his ego will sit there idle with the checkbook. Could actually force IU's hand to spend more on staff. This whole situation screams win/win for IU.

I agree with this view I've read on Purdue with Brohm although I'm not certain exactly where it originated, nor whom specifically to credit.:

They have the lightning in the bottle.THAT can be the trickiest part for an A.D. 

From here: Pay up or shut up about rectifying past mistakes in hiring. In the end put it all out there and let the chips fall where they may.

That said, you've convinced me to look at this a different way in human terms with the potential effect it could have in swaying decisions at IU. That is valid to believe with Glass and the body of evidence is overwhelming save for ponying up for the staff.  I usually don't give much thought to something that seems obvious when it comes to Purdue doing all within reason of resources to secure Brohm, but I've been reading in a lot in various places.

My concern with Glass is his ego convincing him there is still a way to get a top staff wothout paying top dollar.I do agree something will have to give at some point if this staff doesn't ultimately get it done with program goals. Other have saod the same before, and I can relate to that concern.

Somewhere in there Allen's loyalties and influence on staff weigh in heavy. Fortunately his philosophy is easy to embrace.OC is the apparent starting point unless it becomes clear the top needs changed too. Some already feels this way although I disgaree unless Allen doesn't prove to be willing to adapt. Any OC hire's own influence also plays a part.The better the OC the less work Indiana has to go out and do filling in a staff. Finding a good mesh without unsettling key current ataff complicates it to some degree.When a program is at the tipping point to being more competitive collateral damage is always a risk making changes.I'm glad I'm not ttasked with it personally.lol At the current period of relative equilibrium between Indiana ajd Purdue overall with the balance falling to the Boilermakers side, hands could very well be forced.Comes down to egos and fortitude, or lack thereof.

This thread has become a real solid read regardless. Some insightful posta here.HSN 3.0 for you! 

All of this depending on whethsr or not anyone at IU aperceives the Offense as the most glaring issue at the moment.I feel that and ST mistakes have been the most obvious problems that Allen has yet to prove he can patch.  It goes down a different track.In that same train of thought they sure found Wilson a respectable DC. It's too bad Wilson created his own undoing while simultaneously undoing his biggest perceived question mark. This moment has more urgency if IU is to have any edge at all should Brohm remain moving forward.

That is in the here and now since nothing has been confirmed or anounced. Lousiville could just do us all a favor and rename the city in advance to get him there. :D That I could get behind.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

This a dated article.....

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2017/10/05/university-louisville-sports-wins-costs-coach-salaries-subsidies/727139001/

8 minutes ago, rico said:

If the donors paid for strippers....Just saying .Lol  Also just joking .Sort of.

I'm simply implying they just need to find(and pay for) the right stripper for Brohm.How hard can it be . ;)

I though t someone touched on this already.

3 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

If the donors paid for strippers....Just saying .Lol  Also just joking .Sort of.

I'm simply implying they just need to find(and pay for) the right stripper for Brohm.How hard can it be . ;)

LOL, the thing of it these schools generate a lot of revenue.  But they spend it just as fast.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL, the thing of it these schools generate a lot of revenue.  But they spend it just as fast.  

Too bad they misused all of that overhead while they were still good. Just assuming they pumped too much of it into Jackson's Heisman campaign and strippers at this point.Lol 

My question is how did they become that good, and not come out of it in a better position.

Wow last year.

3 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Too bad they misused all of that overhead while they were still good. Just assuming they pumped too much of it into Jackson's Heisman campaign and strippers at this point.Lol 

My question is how did they become that good, and not come out of it in a better position.

That is from 2015 ?

I think it was 2017?  But here is another one.....

https://deadspin.com/tom-jurich-gets-7-2-million-lifetime-tickets-in-louis-1826149330

32 minutes ago, rico said:

No sorry .I caught that and it was my error.And Thank you! 

I guess where I'm coming from is in their big poo sandwich with the NCAA how much of anything cam be truly accurate.Maybe I'm thinking tooc big picture and it isn't as deep.I can concede that.

I could be vastly overestimating the U of L money pipeline .I should probably find public athletic spending records and have a study,  or sonething along the lines.

I try to do that and look for discrepancies.It's a lot to track down and proceas for someone who barely has time for my team so I porbably won't follow through simply due to being too emotionalmy invested into IU teams and specific news. I'm definitely interested. The more clarity that emerges with Brohm's choice and potential ensuing oucomes, the more front and center I could see this particular topic getting in line with IU related news. I look at it as Indiana has things it can address or fail to address that strengthen or weaken it's own hand regardless of where Brohm ends up. I saw a largely rebuilt Indiana defense minus some key stars take a respectable step forward.

The offense jeeds to start doing Indiana better Justice with keeping pace. There is a lot to like right now. Don't get me wrong.IU has a 1,000 yard Freshman back who was not projected tp be the starter day 1.Ellison was that guy. That among promising WRs that need to be utilized better. A true potential answer at QB .A line that isn't quitting and actually impressed me.- hebce some second though ts on calling for Hiller to go. Maybe this appears to go off topic on the surface, but it doesn't really. It is a general idea of Brohms choice having implications on IU's future that makes ot relevant to Indiana Football, but there are a multude of ways to view it all.Depends on the lens .

15 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

No sorry .I caught that and it was my error.And Thank you! 

I guess where I'm coming from is in their big poo sandwich with the NCAA how much of anything cam be truly accurate.Maybe I'm thinking tooc big picture and it isn't as deep.I can concede that.

I could be vastly overestimating the U of L money pipeline .I should probably find public athletic spending records and have a study,  or sonething along the lines.

One thing that I found interesting in one of those articles was talking about subsidies.  But regardless, U of L generates money.  But what they are doing with it is the question.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

One thing that I found interesting in one of those articles was talking about subsidies.  But regardless, U of L generates money.  But what they are doing with it is the question.

Yes. I guess I wanted to be clear I understood that was largely at the heart of the matter, if there are financial resource issues that contradict the logic.

I noticed that about subsidies.It didn't do anything to discourage my apprehension or clarify anything that doesn't add up all the way. The saga continues and appears to be a lot left to unfold from where I'm sitting and what I've managed to take in thus far.

I'm going to have another read when things quiet down.Links are a nightmare on my phone and kids rule the PC.Good grades and pronises made Lol .

18 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think that’s true. I think they were roughly even or maybe Petrino made slightly more ($3.8 million for Brohm and I think Petrino was closer to $4 million). 

Could be.  Just going by what people on another board said.

I wouldn't offer $6 million if I'm Purdue.  The results have been good, but it has been a lot of hype that has really pushed this along.

Also, even if Brohm stays this year, I see it going 1 of 2 ways.  Either he doesn't live up to the lofty expectations and stays a few more years and the $6 mil was too much, or he does well for another year or two and bolts for a big time program or for the NFL.  Once Brohm leaves, they aren't going to have much negotiating power.  Especially if they go for an up and coming guy, the new coach will have a lot of leverage for a big pay day.  Why would they accept $3-4 mil if the last guy was making $6?

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I wouldn't offer $6 million if I'm Purdue.  The results have been good, but it has been a lot of hype that has really pushed this along.

Also, even if Brohm stays this year, I see it going 1 of 2 ways.  Either he doesn't live up to the lofty expectations and stays a few more years and the $6 mil was too much, or he does well for another year or two and bolts for a big time program or for the NFL.  Once Brohm leaves, they aren't going to have much negotiating power.  Especially if they go for an up and coming guy, the new coach will have a lot of leverage for a big pay day.  Why would they accept $3-4 mil if the last guy was making $6?

I truly believe Brohm is destined for a "blue blood" or a NFL job.  Which one is more likely, that is up in the air.  Now he could take the Fitzgerald approach and just go home.  Who knows.  

Archived