Colson Montgomery

HoosierKix

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I thought with baseball if the player chose to go to school they had to be there for 3 years before entering the draft. Is that no longer the case?

Pretty sure that’s still the case.  If you play D1 baseball, you can’t get drafted until after junior year.  

I believe you can get drafted though after two years at a JUCO. Not sure about D2, D3, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Yes, I understand that. You said he would go pro after his freshman year if he didn't go out of HS. Hence  the question about 3 years if he chooses to go to school. Re-read my question.

That is correct. Sophomores can go into the draft however if they turn 21 within 45 days of the final day of the draft. Otherwise you have to be a junior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

He’s definitely going to MLB, either this year or after his freshman year. From what I have heard down here, he will be drafted this summer, but let’s see what he decides 

Well he can't after his freshman year.  If you go to college you have to stay 3 years in college

18 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Nope. My confused look was about your comment of not wanting him play, but not agreeing that he wouldn’t help. 

I dont think it's possible to make it work. I want him on our baseball team.. we are going to be elite with him hitting on all cylinders. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, Bustout said:

Pretty sure that’s still the case.  If you play D1 baseball, you can’t get drafted until after junior year.  

I believe you can get drafted though after two years at a JUCO. Not sure about D2, D3, etc. 

All NCAA baseball levels require you to be at least a junior for draft eligibility (although I'm not sure on the comment about being 21 or something close to the draft)

As for JUCO, you can get drafted after your freshman year.

Edited by T-Free20

4 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

All NCAA baseball levels require you to be at least a junior for draft eligibility (although I'm not sure on the comment about being 21 or something close to the draft)

As for JUCO, you can get drafted after your freshman year.

D1 - can’t get drafted until your junior year unless you turn 21 prior.

JUCO - can get drafted after any year. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:01 PM, 5fouls said:

Looks like he's a year older than most high school kids that would be entering the draft.  If he goes to IU. that makes him older when he is college draft eligible as well.  I think that works against him ever playing for IU.  

On 1/24/2021 at 5:12 PM, IU Scott said:

Well he can't after his freshman year.  If you go to college you have to stay 3 years in college

Technically not entirely true. Colson will be draft eligible after his SO year because of how old he is now. He turned 19 in March. So, he could sort of get the best of both worlds.. 2 years at IU, then pro.

You just have to be 21 within in 45 days of the draft. (Elijah Dunham and Cole Barr were both drafted after their SO years)

Plus there is this ^ . I've heard from a source or two he is leaning towards going to college, I don't think anyone knows 100% outside of his family. We will also have to see how the draft goes.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Technically not entirely true. Colson will be draft eligible after his SO year because of how old he is now. He turned 19 in March. So, he could sort of get the best of both worlds.. 2 years at IU, then pro.

You just have to be 21 within in 45 days of the draft. (Elijah Dunham and Cole Barr were both drafted after their SO years)

Plus there is this ^ . I've heard from a source or two he is leaning towards going to college, I don't think anyone knows 100% outside of his family. We will also have to see how the draft goes.

As much as I would love to see him at IU, I'm rooting for him to make the Big Leagues.  So, if he determines his best chance at that is to go now, I don't blame him one bit.

I saw him play in the state championship game his freshman year.  Southridge played Boone Grove in the 2A Championship game before Silver Creek played in the 3A championship against Andrean.

There was some talent on the field that day.  Montgomery, of course.  Ty Bothwell, from Boone Grove, who now pitches for IU, was on the mound.  He didn't get Montgomery out.  Colson went 2-2 with 2 walks.  in the 3A game, Silver Creek had to face Andrean's Michael Doolin, who is at Vanderbilt.   

Edited by 5fouls

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

As much as I would love to see him at IU, I'm rooting for him to make the Big Leagues.  So, if he determines his best chance at that is to go now, I don't blame him one bit.

I saw him play in the state championship game his freshman year.  Southridge played Boone Grove in the 2A Championship game before Silver Creek played in the 3A championship against Andrean.

There was some talent on the field that day.  Montgomery, of course.  Ty Bothwell, from Boone Grove, who now pitches for IU, was on the mound.  He didn't get Montgomery out.  Colson went 2-2 with 2 walks.  in the 3A game, Silver Creek had to face Andrean's Michael Doolin, who is at Vanderbilt.   

I watched both games. I couldn't have gone and been on my own at 19 years old with all that money, regardless... so school would have been the best choice for me. I have no idea what the best choice for him is... I'm just relaying information. 2 years he is draft eligible and he is leaning towards going to school. Andrean had Tyler Nelson (current IU player, as well). Edgewood should have beaten Andrean the next year and SR gave away their game, as well.... and Col East gave their game away. It was sickening watching three teams from the south BLOW games.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I watched both games. I couldn't have gone and been on my own at 19 years old with all that money, regardless... so school would have been the best choice for me. I have no idea what the best choice for him is... I'm just relaying information. 2 years he is draft eligible and he is leaning towards going to school. Andrean had Tyler Nelson (current IU player, as well). Edgewood should have beaten Andrean the next year and SR gave away their game, as well.... and Col East gave their game away. It was sickening watching three teams from the south BLOW games.

Edgewood should not even have been in the final in '19.  Silver Creek gave away the semi-state game.  

46 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have a friend who knows a kid from New Castle Trey Ball who was the 7th pick in the draft a few years ago.  He has never made it past double A and he turned down going to Texas for college.  He got a big signing bonus but I wonder if he regrets not going to college

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I have a friend who knows a kid from New Castle Trey Ball who was the 7th pick in the draft a few years ago.  He has never made it past double A and he turned down going to Texas for college.  He got a big signing bonus but I wonder if he regrets not going to college

$2.75 million signing bonus to play a game he loves. I think he made the right call. He can still go to college now, he's only 26.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cybergates said:

$2.75 million signing bonus to play a game he loves. I think he made the right call. He can still go to college now, he's only 26.

There's nice money and then there is life changing money. Can't blame a kid for cashing in the lottery ticket. Can pay to go back to school. That said there are some that are on that fringe or maybe just aren't ready for the lifestyle and need some maturing. Would love to see Colson at IU but understand either way....it's just a big deal he chose us regardless where he goes because it signals the state of the program.