Minnesota Postgame Thread

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

In my opinion, I do not think that Miller knows how to manage the egos of talented players.  I also believe that he treated Romeo different from other players.  Smith and his Dad get quite a bit of (legitimate) criticism, but let's not forget Romeo's videographer buddy complaining that Romeo should have been taking the game winning shot when Phinisee hit his buzzer beater against Butler.

I think he needs to realize that one and done or not, those guys have to be treated EXACTLY like everyone else.  And he started to realize that, except instead of reeling in everyone, he appears to have gone soft on everyone.  So the team still is mad about the lack of fair treatment earlier in the year and now they have lost all respect and fear of the coaching staff.  Romeo laughing at Ostrom and blowing him off on the bench.  Yeah, we rag on Green and Smith but I hope Romeo goes pro after this year too.  I think that he is every bit the sulking cancer as the other guys.  And I believe that is all because Miller is used to coaching 2 and 3 star guys with something to prove as opposed to 5* players who were treated like the best thing since sliced cheese since they were in middle school.

This will not be popular but I think everyone involved would have been better off if Romeo had picked Vandy or Kansas.

You are so, so wrong about Romeo.  If anything, he defers too much.  He often did the same thing in high school.  Dakich was right in the broadcast today when he said IU needs to feature Romeo more.  The best teams feature their best players and have complimentary parts.  

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

That is quite the complex theory. Would love for you to share some concrete reasons to justify what you’re saying. I’ve read so many things from so many people on this site and others who have followed Indiana HS ball for decades saying Romeo is one of the most humble super stars the state has produced in years.

and this notion that some how 5 stars come with this automatic baggage that somehow 3 stars don’t ever have? You realize every single one of these 2,3,4,5 star players were for the most part GODD at their HS. You paint this picture of Archie running around pulling his hair out in complete disarray at the thought of coaching a basketball player that a website puts an extra star next to their name. Sorry if I call this a bit of a reach.

Evidence?  Why did Romeo's Dad say Kentucky got dropped from consideration as a place to land?  What was the rumor from the Kentucky side?  There were 2 outside parties each backing a different player on the team that were complaining about shots.  Both of them occurred around the holidays.  The team fell apart around that time and in both instances the complaints were about how the coaching staff was hindering players because of pushing someone else to the forefront.  The minute Phinisee started to play well and garner attention, you had video guy Freddy complaining.  And after he complained, you had Smith's Dad complaining that everyone was having to sacrifice their game for Romeo and Morgan.

I also believe there is a big difference between the ego that a guy like Armaan Franklin will come in with and one that a 5* player will.  

I do not know anything more than anyone else, but it is clear to me where the inflection point was at in the middle of the year and it revolved around mouthpieces for 2 players complaining about coaching.  Those same two players also seem to be about 50-75% interested at any given time since then.  And nothing ever happens to them for it.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

You are so, so wrong about Romeo.  If anything, he defers too much.  He often did the same thing in high school.  Dakich was right in the broadcast today when he said IU needs to feature Romeo more.  The best teams feature their best players and have complimentary parts.  

Archie deserves some blame for not running the offense through Romeo, but so does Romeo. When the game was close today and he was struggling to get going, there were multiple times where he got the ball on the break and instead of trying to go 1:1 to score he pulled it back. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I've got a "Major Change" suggestion for coach:   DEMAND, don't ask Romeo to become more of a "me too" player, and less of a "team player".

Agree. I can't quite figure out why he simply doesn't take over and drop 35-40 points a game. I get the team aspect, but at some point doesn't Romeo have to look at himself in the mirror and realize he's the best player on the court every night and simply take over? He wants to be a 2-guard in the NBA? Man, if he's not already, why is he not studying every single tape he can get his hands on about how Jordan & Bryant played the game? Romeo has confused me from the very start.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Agree to disagree.

He is the worst supposed one and done I have ever seen come through Indiana (not that we have had many).  If you were an NBA GM whose team was struggling, would you bet your job on making him a lottery pick?  I would not.

I have been hard on Smith and Green but I think Langford and/or his handlers are every bit the problem with the team that Smith's have been.  If we can all speculate about Smith based on his Dad and jogging back and not getting on the floor, then I think the same can be said about the golden boy.  And the fact that Romeo is always deflected away from as being part of the problem has very clearly been a source of contention on the team.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Archie deserves some blame for not running the offense through Romeo, but so does Romeo. When the game was close today and he was struggling to get going, there were multiple times where he got the ball on the break and instead of trying to go 1:1 to score he pulled it back. 

I agree.  I even said he defers too much.  My main point is that he is the farthest thing from an attention-seeking cancer as he can be.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I agree.  I even said he defers too much.  My main point is that he is the farthest thing from an attention-seeking cancer as he can be.  

It is so hard to get on a great kid. However, Romeo has to... need I say must.... take charge from here on out.

At this point what would it hurt to have Romeo initiate the offense and run the point. Have the ball in his hands on each and every play. Not sure what else to do but also move Smith out of the starting lineup for Davis or Forrester and play Juwan at the 4. I can see why Archie is perplexed...there just isn’t any good options when the team is playing this poorly.

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Evidence?  Why did Romeo's Dad say Kentucky got dropped from consideration as a place to land?  What was the rumor from the Kentucky side?  

The honest to goodness truth about Romeo and Kentucky.  A large part of it was an 'expectation' at Kentucky that you be a one and done.  Romeo certainly wants the option to go pro if he feels he was ready, but he also wants the option to stay another year in college.  Cal does not want players that will be drafted in the lottery back for a second year.  He's on record saying that kind of thing in the past.

There is zero comparison to anything that Romeo and his family have done versus what Edward Smith did with that tweet.  

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

At this point what would it hurt to have Romeo initiate the offense and run the point. Have the ball in his hands on each and every play. Not sure what else to do but also move Smith out of the starting lineup for Davis or Forrester and play Juwan at the 4. I can see why Archie is perplexed...there just isn’t any good options when the team is playing this poorly.

That is exactly what I would do.  Have Romeo run the point.  But I would also go big on the front line.

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He has a personal videographer...sometimes the public face is not necessarily what the private one is.

If I was an IU player, that would not bother me in the least as long as the player was still an unselfish teammate.  Is Victor Oladipo a selfish cancer to the Pacers because he does things to promote his name and his game? 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The honest to goodness truth about Romeo and Kentucky.  A large part of it was an 'expectation' at Kentucky that you be a one and done.  Romeo certainly wants the option to go pro if he feels he was ready, but he also wants the option to stay another year in college.  Cal does not want players that will be drafted in the lottery back for a second year.  He's on record saying that kind of thing in the past.

There is zero comparison to anything that Romeo and his family have done versus what Edward Smith did with that tweet.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjtz8jFsMHgAhXKIDQIHVWpAeYQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aseaofblue.com%2Fcollege-basketball-recruiting%2F2018%2F4%2F2%2F17188424%2Fromeo-langford-father-john-calipari&psig=AOvVaw3IeysdReQkIApJDzd5ITOC&ust=1550445185706033

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Romeo isn’t the answer with the ball in his hands all game. We’ve seen him dribble it off his foot too many times for that. But we DO need him much more involved. 

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

You linked me an article from 'A Sea of Blue'.  Any consideration that what was said there might have a UK slant?

Just because certain players, or a player's parent, can't accept the fact that one of his teammates is going to get more attention than him, does not make the player getting the attention the bad guy.  

I'm perplexed by the apparent fecklessness that CAM has demonstrated thru this debacle since Jan.  Perhaps he's still learning as a young coach.  I still want him to succeed.  I guess since I grew up with CBK,  I can't help but wonder why he feels compelled to keep playing players that don't meet his expectations.  Simply not play those that show no IQ and no passion for the game.  It's the appearance that NO ONE including the coaching staff cares that is driving me crazy.  We all remember how much support CTC's teams received even though they were losing because they at least played with grit and tenacity.  CBK never had a problem sitting ANY player not meeting his expectations regardless who they were.  If anything, he was even harder on his best players. So if there is a cancer or two in the current group why are they playing and why aren't they gone yesterday?   Why must we wait until the end of the season to clean house?  I would appreciate the removal now.  It would show me that change is occurring and that there is a vision for the program going forward.  I will gladly support the remaining players regardless of W's and L's so long as they show some heart and that they care.  I will be gravely disappointed in CAM as a coach  if the same players and plays remain in place Tue.  

12 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Romeo isn’t the answer with the ball in his hands all game. We’ve seen him dribble it off his foot too many times for that. But we DO need him much more involved. 

Not sure about bringing it up but I want him with the ball initiating the offense at the top of the key....whether it’s a four low or more pick n roll or clear out I just hate the weave and I hate more the fact we have no understanding of spacing.

Archived