Minnesota Postgame Thread

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Trust me, it's not reality.  If you had witnessed the way Romeo interacted with the kids down here in Southern Indiana while he was in high school, you would realize what kind of BS people are throwing when they imply that.  

Name me another player that would stay and sign autographs for an hour and a half after LOSING a game.

I'm sure Romeo is a great kid and seems to be a pretty good basketball player.  He may be a great pro and I'm sure hoping he is.  Again no one is saying he's the problem but he certainly doesn't have that killer instinct that guys like Tom Coverdale had.  Our team really needs that.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Trust me, it's not reality.  If you had witnessed the way Romeo interacted with the kids down here in Southern Indiana while he was in high school, you would realize what kind of BS people are throwing when they imply that.  

Name me another player that would stay and sign autographs for an hour and a half after LOSING a game.

Damon Bailey 

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

I'm sure Romeo is a great kid and seems to be a pretty good basketball player.  He may be a great pro and I'm sure hoping he is.  Again no one is saying he's the problem but he certainly doesn't have that killer instinct that guys like Tom Coverdale had.  Our team really needs that.

I will agree with you that Romeo does not visibly show the passion on the floor that many IU greats of the past showed when they were on the court.  I wish he did.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We have a strand within this thread that keeps missing each other’s heads. No one is even talking about his basketball talents. Some have brought up that he’s a part of the teams character and cheneaitry issues. Others have said “no way he’s a class kid.” Not talking talent, or anything directly basketball related with these comments.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Damon Bailey 

Damon handled the fame very well, and was a great ambassador for what Indiana basketball is about.  But my comment was more in relation to the notion that Romeo was somehow just as much of a 'cancer' than other players on the team, for no other reason than he gets more attention.  That is a BS position. 

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think the issue here is that just because Romeo is a humble kid and was one of the greatest high school basketball players in state history doesn't mean he and some of the people surrounding him (i.e. said videographer) are not contributing factors to the issues this team is/was having, regardless of what type of people they are.

There was a good stretch in January where Romeo was doing exactly what everyone here seems to be begging him to do.  Take every shot he can.  And it didn't work - he routinely got stopped or stuffed in the lane.  It's also, in my opinion, one of the reasons, justified or not, that there are others on the team whose jealousy started rearing its ugly head at the same time (not condoning this behavior, just stating when/why we started seeing chemistry issues).

I think the level of competition in the Big Ten has, probably for the first time in his life, caused Romeo to have to change the way he plays, and his improving outside shot and the fact that he is more judicious with his drives and shots are evidence that he's currently figuring out how to adjust.  He's still a freshman after all, and one without shooters to spread the floor or any real inside size or presence, which has been brutally exposed any time we've played a team with skilled/veteran big men.

I think the only way we salvage this season is if we can kick off the players causing the locker room issues, but I seriously doubt that happens.  For one, I don't think Fred Glass would allow it, and I do have my suspicions that Archie's hands have probably been tied somewhat as far as roster management is concerned. 

I used to coach middle school track and high school cross country.  I once had a runner skip our conference championship meet to participate in some random 5k.  I told the runner that it was his/her decision to make, but there wasn't a spot on the team if the conference meet was skipped.  The next day the athletic director called me down to his office and told me I couldn't kick the runner off the team.  So, given the history of Knight and the more recent history of Wilson, I'm nearly POSITIVE there have been decisions by Archie that have been overridden.  The Green tweet and rumors of transfer followed by him rejoining the team 2 games later reeks of athletic department intervention.  I want to make it clear I have no basis for that speculation, just my own experience - I could be totally wrong; it's just a gut feeling.

For me, at least, I'm deferring my criticism of Archie to the postseason and next season.  I really believe if we see a few transfers, we will be a much more solid and cohesive team next year.  I think there is too much bad blood on the current roster for any coach to have success with.

You would have to be an absolute idiot to think Cody's situation compares to Romeo's.  Cody came to a team that had Jordy, Verdell, CWat, VO, and Will.  Not to mention the other role players.  Cody's situation was just like Damon's to a degree.  Cody was the missing piece to the puzzle.  Damon came in and added to a good nucleus.  Romeo comes in, and he has Juwan Morgan?  

How could an 18 year old kid, who people were BEGGING to go to IU, 3rd highest scoring freshman in the storied IU history take the “blame” for this losing streak? We have a team captain who doesn’t do as much as he could to lead these kids on the floor. We have at least two players who want to play the style of  the coach who recruited them, one who has been suspended, and one who’s father let the cat out of the bag on Twitter. And ultimately, we have a coach, who may in fact be in over his head. Maybe he has never experienced the kind of disharmony, disunity, and obvious discord that this team is exhibiting before. Maybe the roster issues were too much combined with the injuries. But maybe we have to be content with what we have for this year, and be willing to go ahead and write it off. Archie may have to learn a little bit about coaching in the big time... I’m not sure. ( no one would want to coach at this place if we run Archie off THIS soon- next year, maybe a different story) But I am sure that just because Romeo has a videographer, where there were many volunteers to do such a job, to document his rise from poverty to eventual NBA Star, and carry with him the hopes and dreams of a basketball-crazed hometown, state being secondary here, are in NO WAY indicative that he is anything but a team player. I am exasperated as much as the next guy, but unless we want to see Keion in Blue, we should put the blame where it rests, on the adults in the situation, and give them a little ( maybe less than we need to) time to try to sort it out...

2 minutes ago, rico said:

You would have to be an absolute idiot to think Cody's situation compares to Romeo's.  Cody came to a team that had Jordy, Verdell, CWat, VO, and Will.  Not to mention the other role players.  Cody's situation was just like Damon's to a degree.  Cody was the missing piece to the puzzle.  Damon came in and added to a good nucleus.  Romeo comes in, and he has Juwan Morgan?  

God, I hate when I agree with you.  :)

2 minutes ago, rico said:

No way those two teams were even close. That team Cody joined had a CRAP LOAD of experience some of which they had to go through hell together for. That was a very uniquely experienced team. Apples and Oranges

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

No way those two teams were even close. That team Cody joined had a CRAP LOAD of experience some of which they had to go through hell together for. That was a very uniquely experienced team. Apples and Oranges

Damon did as well.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

No one eats IU players like their own. Are you kidding me with this drivel?

Hey, we have all been comfortable throwing Smith and his Dad under the bus but I linked an article where Romeo's Dad was saying Romeo thought Calipari was not a very effective coach (after he did not get many minutes...) and Romeo's Dad being upset with Calipari as well.  We also had Romeo's videographer complaining that Romeo was not the guy to get the ball after Phinisee hit the game winner against Butler.

If we are comfortable ragging on Smith, why are we not equally comfortable with criticizing Langford?  Because he is a better player?  He scores more?  He was the chosen one coming into the year and the only people who could be at fault are his teammates?

You all cannot see that there is at least the possibility that Langford and his click might not just be a problem here?  If he thought Calipari did not know what he is doing, what do you think he is saying behind the scenes to teammates, Dad, etc. about our current coaching staff that has not even been to a Final Four, let alone won a National Championship, as this season has swirled down the drain.  You all are not even willing to entertain the possibility which I believe is also happening around the program.  And some of the players have reacted to that.  I think they should have soldiered on but I can see how special treatment might get old, particularly for a guy that everyone knows is only committed for a year.

25 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Hey, we have all been comfortable throwing Smith and his Dad under the bus but I linked an article where Romeo's Dad was saying Romeo thought Calipari was not a very effective coach (after he did not get many minutes...) and Romeo's Dad being upset with Calipari as well.  We also had Romeo's videographer complaining that Romeo was not the guy to get the ball after Phinisee hit the game winner against Butler.

If we are comfortable ragging on Smith, why are we not equally comfortable with criticizing Langford?  Because he is a better player?  He scores more?  He was the chosen one coming into the year and the only people who could be at fault are his teammates?

You all cannot see that there is at least the possibility that Langford and his click might not just be a problem here?  If he thought Calipari did not know what he is doing, what do you think he is saying behind the scenes to teammates, Dad, etc. about our current coaching staff that has not even been to a Final Four, let alone won a National Championship, as this season has swirled down the drain.  You all are not even willing to entertain the possibility which I believe is also happening around the program.  And some of the players have reacted to that.  I think they should have soldiered on but I can see how special treatment might get old, particularly for a guy that everyone knows is only committed for a year.

Brevity might be your friend. Romeo isn't the problem right now.

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Justin is from Illinois. We didn’t really know that much about him. Romeo, however, is from Indiana, where not just myself, but other posters on here have spent 4 + years following him. You may not have any idea how much scrutiny that kid has been under, while Justin spent a lot of time in relative anonymity, Romeo has not been able to go anywhere outside of the spotlight. There are NO accounts of him having any attitudes, he has spent hours signing autographs, even after a bitter loss to Warren Central that NA should have won, and Warren Central “fans” practically assaulted Romeo at the end of the game. Kid is nothing but a class act, and if he does have a little ego behind closed doors, so what? Romeo has disappeared at times, taken some ill-advised shots, and is NOT above reproach. But we see Smith pout, not share the ball, take insanely bad shots, and try to do too much on a routine basis and see the comments from his dad. The evidence is not there to say Romeo is the problem...

Archived