NBA Thread

I think the tournament has been great! I don't really get what's not to like?

I would have only watched a luttle bit of a late Nov/early Dec Celtics-Bulls game normally, but I watched more than normal this year to see if the Celtics could win by 23 (the point differential they needed). The Celtics definitely cared about winning that game. 

I would have watched very little of an early Dec Pacers-Celtics game, but I watched this year because of the tournament. 

I would not have seeked out an early December Pacers-Bucks game, but I watched last night.

I'm not normally watching Pelicans-Lakers either, but I watched a lot last night. 

While gaudy, the courts are awesome and let you know it's a tournament game.  

I think the NBA had done a phenomenal job creating interest with the IST. 

• Like 4

Best thing (besides winning) for the Pacers is the exposure this week. 3 nationally televised games....for those that watch they get to see Pacers probably for first time. Hope they finish things off tonight.

In other NBA news. Good to see JHS continue to get minutes coming back from injury. On the flip side. I have no clue why TJD doesn't at least get some run. I mean the Warriors are sub .500 and their bigs aren't necessarily lighting it up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Best thing (besides winning) for the Pacers is the exposure this week. 3 nationally televised games....for those that watch they get to see Pacers probably for first time. Hope they finish things off tonight.

The Pacers seem to be America's team at the moment.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Then you haven't been paying attention to the Pacers press conferences/interviews. They are very excited about it. 

Of course the Pacers are. Herb wants the $$ and publicity….but across the league teams were sitting their guys and in general outside those that advanced not taking serious.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Of course the Pacers are. Herb wants the $$ and publicity….but across the league teams were sitting their guys and in general outside those that advanced not taking serious.

Really? Who is sitting their guys? I haven't heard that at all. So you don't think the players want the extra $500K each?
https://www.si.com/nba/2023/12/06/nbas-in-season-tournament-unmitigated-success#:~:text=Just look at the numbers,play nights increased by 25%.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think you’re a Pacers fan but you’re irrationally negative about them. They are probably the most consistent small market team historically, sans San Antonio.

Past few years have been rough and they didn’t tank like you wanted but you should be able to acknowledge the approach they chose to take may be working. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Really? Who is sitting their guys? I haven't heard that at all. So you don't think the players want the extra $500K each?
https://www.si.com/nba/2023/12/06/nbas-in-season-tournament-unmitigated-success#:~:text=Just look at the numbers,play nights increased by 25%.

Heat sat Butler for one. And several teams treated it like any other game..especially early on. The two teams that played hard made it to the finals. 

I hope we win tonight…clearly Lebron wants to win this and I’d love nothing more than to stick it to him.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I think you’re a Pacers fan but you’re irrationally negative about them. They are probably the most consistent small market team historically, sans San Antonio.

Past few years have been rough and they didn’t tank like you wanted but you should be able to acknowledge the approach they chose to take may be working. 

I think we will hold our own during the season…I won’t hold my breath come July. Landing a top 5 pick this year wouldn’t have been impossible and could have helped us more than who we got.  Heck the guy we traded in the draft would have been better. I love the Pacers but I’ve always thought they should be more agressive when it comes to shaping the team. They did little to help Paul George…hopefully they don’t do the same with Hali.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Just so everyone knows…I applaud them for the Haliburton trade. The twin tower thing shouldn’t have gone on that long but at least they woke up and made a great move. Just wish they would have not stopped there when rebuilding things.

We didn't stop there because we drafted Mathurin 6th and Walker 8th. We made two good signings in Brown and Topping. Also I think eventually that the rookie from Belmont will be a good role player

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think we will hold our own during the season…I won’t hold my breath come July. Landing a top 5 pick this year wouldn’t have been impossible and could have helped us more than who we got.  Heck the guy we traded in the draft would have been better. I love the Pacers but I’ve always thought they should be more agressive when it comes to shaping the team. They did little to help Paul George…hopefully they don’t do the same with Hali.

They put a championship caliber team around Paul George, they just couldn’t get past Lebron.

The Pacers have been as good as any mid-market team since the 90s at building a championship caliber team, it just hasn’t fallen in their favor. The 90s teams couldn’t get past MJ, then Shaq/Kobe, the early/mid 2000s had the Malice at the Palace, the PG teams couldn’t get past Lebron and then the PG injury happened.

Of course we all want a title but the Pacers have had several instances of putting themselves in the right position and it just not working out for one reason or another. It happens, all you can do is keep doing the right stuff. 

• Like 2