NBA Thread

On 1/2/2024 at 4:07 PM, IU Scott said:

They sure are, it is so deep that the 8th pick of the draft can't get into the lineup

Or he could be another Pacer bust. Obviously too early to tell but the fact he was selected because he fit a glaring hole in our lineup and still barely sees the floor isn’t encouraging.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Or he could be another Pacer bust. Obviously too early to tell but the fact he was selected because he fit a glaring hole in our lineup and still barely sees the floor isn’t encouraging.

Who do you think he should be getting minutes over?

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He puts up huge numbers when he goes to the G league. Are you going to put him ahead of Smith, Jackson or Topping, no way

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Who do you think he should be getting minutes over?

No one…that was my point…he coming into the season he played our biggest position of need and he can’t beat out anybody.  If he doesn’t play he isn’t going to get better…and we are trying to win games so he is likely to languish on the bench as we try to secure a playoff seed with journeymen level guys. So far there are several guys I’d take ahead of him in that draft…including the one we traded to move back a spot…heck we also could have had TJD as well….i think we do well enough in our trades and free agency with us being a small market team but we absolutely need to do a better job drafting when we are in the lottery…we have a ton of youth and guys we will never be able to afford to keep them all….wish we use some player capital to move up and land a stud or roll the dice on a trade for another all star….what’s the point of having 12 guys that can all play when come playoff time you have a 8-9 man rotation tops.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No one…that was my point…he coming into the season he played our biggest position of need and he can’t beat out anybody.  If he doesn’t play he isn’t going to get better…and we are trying to win games so he is likely to languish on the bench as we try to secure a playoff seed with journeymen level guys. So far there are several guys I’d take ahead of him in that draft…including the one we traded to move back a spot…heck we also could have had TJD as well….i think we do well enough in our trades and free agency with us being a small market team but we absolutely need to do a better job drafting when we are in the lottery…we have a ton of youth and guys we will never be able to afford to keep them all….wish we use some player capital to move up and land a stud or roll the dice on a trade for another all star….what’s the point of having 12 guys that can all play when come playoff time you have a 8-9 man rotation tops.

Well the draft was before free agency and trades, yeah? Pacers did a pretty good job at bringing in quality vets at the 3 and 4. And Carlisle historically doesn’t play rookies much, doesn’t mean they never develop under him  

I get that you wanted to tank but I think at this juncture in the season the Pacers probably deserve a little benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well the draft was before free agency and trades, yeah? Pacers did a pretty good job at bringing in quality vets at the 3 and 4. And Carlisle historically doesn’t play rookies much, doesn’t mean they never develop under him  

I get that you wanted to tank but I think at this juncture in the season the Pacers probably deserve a little benefit of the doubt. 

Tank…use draft capital to pair up all star with Hali…either is fine. Load up on guys that bury your young talent on the bench so you can be a 7-8 seed I don’t quite get. Also not sure if Carlisle is the right man to develop young players since he doesn’t like to play them. We are better than we were last year…no doubt…but acquiring talent without a clear plan on how we need to build a roster long term is what I’m questioning. You took a top 10 pick…then bury him with your offseason acquisitions…how does that make sense? These kids are young…they need playing time…we have a lot of guys and I’m not sure what direction we are trying to move in…and who we consider as our core future.

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Tank…use draft capital to pair up all star with Hali…either is fine. Load up on guys that bury your young talent on the bench so you can be a 7-8 seed I don’t quite get. Also not sure if Carlisle is the right man to develop young players since he doesn’t like to play them. We are better than we were last year…no doubt…but acquiring talent without a clear plan on how we need to build a roster long term is what I’m questioning. You took a top 10 pick…then bury him with your offseason acquisitions…how does that make sense? These kids are young…they need playing time…we have a lot of guys and I’m not sure what direction we are trying to move in…and who we consider as our core future.

We are the third youngest team in the league and are the 5 seed. We have a great roster, lots of flexibility, and a legit superstar 23 year old point guard that wants to be here.

The Pacers are in the best spot they’ve been in for at least the past decade. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We are the third youngest team in the league and are the 5 seed. We have a great roster, lots of flexibility, and a legit superstar 23 year old point guard that wants to be here.

The Pacers are in the best spot they’ve been in for at least the past decade. 

Not according to dgambill...

• Haha 1

Pacers got the offense going tonight they are up 100-67 with 6 minutes to go in third quarter. They are 41-58 from the field. Atlanta has looked like they had desire to play tonight. In the first half the Pacers had 3 layup dunks off of made Atlanta shots

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers beat the Hawks 150-116

Pacers FG 60/94 3's 19-39

In two games this year the Pacers has scored 157 and 150 vs the Hawks.

"You can't stop the Pacers.  You can only hope to contain them."

image.thumb.png.8738e0b466326a9bf24cfab4af1305b9.png

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

True… they are a game back of 4th but also .5 game from being in 8th… we will see if they have to play in the play in games or not. Lot more season to play.

Plenty of season left to tank is what you are getting at.  lol

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So Pacers host Celtics tonight.  Pacers on a 6 game win streak.  Would you predict 7 point at home dogs without insider knowledge?  @BGleas. You have any insight?

This will be a fun and interesting two game set. As far as tonight, I'm not sure. Both teams on the 2nd night of a back-to-back which is always weird. 

The Celtics have struggled with Haliburton and the Pacers are playing so well. 

The Celtics are clearly the best team in the league so far, and have been extremely impressive when the top 6 all play. 

Porzingas has been a massive pickup. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rico said:

Plenty of season left to tank is what you are getting at.  lol

No…I’d prefer they trade some assets…target guys with high upside like Kuminga. I’d much rather see them target someone like him that would fit perfectly with Hali for many years and could actually take Chris Paul in a trade and we move a combo of guys including Brown and maybe Turner who would fit Warriors timeline. Heck any combination of win now guys they may want. Kuminga with the freedom and playing time I think can be an all star player next to Haliburton. I’m not enamored with the Siakim talk. Much older and wants to be a free agent after the season.

Paul is an expiring deal which would open up tons of space for Pacers to be aggressive this offseason with max space available to add another guy next to Kuminga and Haliburton and combine that with our depth I think makes us much more dangerous. I feel like since we didn’t tank….we better be bold in the trade market because that’s the only way we can jump up to compete in the playoffs with Celtics, Sixers, and Bucks. If we mess around teams like Orlando will certainly pass us by.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

No…I’d prefer they trade some assets…target guys with high upside like Kuminga. I’d much rather see them target someone like him that would fit perfectly with Hali for many years and could actually take Chris Paul in a trade and we move a combo of guys including Brown and maybe Turner who would fit Warriors timeline. Heck any combination of win now guys they may want. Kuminga with the freedom and playing time I think can be an all star player next to Haliburton. I’m not enamored with the Siakim talk. Much older and wants to be a free agent after the season.

Paul is an expiring deal which would open up tons of space for Pacers to be aggressive this offseason with max space available to add another guy next to Kuminga and Haliburton and combine that with our depth I think makes us much more dangerous. I feel like since we didn’t tank….we better be bold in the trade market because that’s the only way we can jump up to compete in the playoffs with Celtics, Sixers, and Bucks. If we mess around teams like Orlando will certainly pass us by.

You would trade a 27 year old NBA champion and a 27 year old Pacer lifer, on an extremely team friendly deal that is playing the best of his career as he enters his prime… for an unproven third year player and old beat up Chris Paul? What else are the Warriors giving us?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You would trade a 27 year old NBA champion and a 27 year old Pacer lifer, on an extremely team friendly deal that is playing the best of his career as he enters his prime… for an unproven third year player and old beat up Chris Paul? What else are the Warriors giving us?

You bet. Myles Turner has had little to no trade value for years…he may finally net something. Brown is on a friendly deal because we probably won’t pick up his option next year…he should be a trade chip as well. Kuminga should be starting for the Warriors but Kerr is favoring his vets but the guy has been avg 14.5 5 and 2.5 in 27 mins last 10 games with Green out. He’s a stud in the making if he could get consistent playing time. Personally I don’t care what combo we offer…Heild is gone after the season he doesn’t want to re-sign but you need to be aggressive in pairing young talent with Hali and our drafting hasn’t exactly been good in doing that so trade for it. I don’t get the love for Turner…he disappears against elite centers and is hugely inconsistent…replacement centers aren’t hard to find that are athletic, can rim run, and block shots.

Also Paul’s 30 million comes off the books and would allow us to have max room this offseason. Great room for trade or free agent.

Edited by dgambill