NBA Thread

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

This is why if you want to be an elite franchise like Lakers and Celtics you can’t be sentimental….GS should be looking to move off Klay/Draymond/Wiggins instead of the young guys. The championship against Celtics was the last hurrah and you could see it on the court. Old in NBA doesn’t usually equate to winning much and it happens faster than most other sports. 

Id keep Curry because he can still heavily influence winning still but the rest of that team needs broken up in a major way…definitely not re-signing them to lifetime type contracts. You paid them for their service already. You can honor them with statues etc but no reason to continue to tie down the team with paying them to be old and bad.

Completely agree. Danny Ainge almost always moved guys year or twp early, before they aged out of their value. 

It's not always the popular thing, but it's usually the smart move. 

Ainge got that mentality from Red Auerbach. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Danny Ainge almost always moved guys year or twp early, before they aged out of their value. 

It's not always the popular thing, but it's usually the smart move. 

Ainge got that mentality from Red Auerbach. 

I had to look it up.  The Celtics traded Danny when he was 29.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Siakam to the 'Cars! I personally think this could be a really good fit - want to see the protections on the picks but he's going to have a ton of space to operate and has the best point guard he's ever played with.

Defensively he is going to really elevate this team with his length, IQ, and switch ability on the perimeter.

And we've got a guy you can throw the ball to that can go get a bucket.

I don't think this elevates us to the level of Bos/Mil/Phi - but I'd put us as a clear four after them. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

And the more I think about it, while I do think those three teams I mentioned are the class of the East, I think this closes the gap enough that it is conceivable we could beat them in a playoff series. 

Remember, the Pacers have "owned" the Bucks lately without Pascal.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yup and we have held our own with Boston. Sixers would be tougher for us because we don’t have an answer for Embiid. 

I watched the Embid/Jokic battle.  Geez, how do you stop either one?  But yeah, Philly would create a problem.

• Like 1

By itself I don’t think this would catapult us to the top of the East but I’m happy we grew some balls and made a move for an upgrade to pair with Hali. I think or hope we have another move to make…at least this leads to us doing so now or at the end of the season. I was hoping for someone more closer to Haliburton, Mathurin, and Walkers time line but don’t hate we brought in a veteran captain to help mentor this young team. 

We certainly matchup even better with the Bucks now…don’t think we can beat Boston with no defense come playoffs and we would get exposed by Embiid…but who knows…weird things can happen and if we get the right draw who knows. Would just love to add a 2 that can shoot the 3 and play some D until Mathurin makes that leap.

• Like 1

I expect the Pacers to possibly make a couple more moves. I could still see a Buddy trade since he’s on an expiring deal. I could see some roster consolidation happening as well. I could also see the Pacers picking up a vet wing in the buyout market depending on the trade returns. 

51 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I expect the Pacers to possibly make a couple more moves. I could still see a Buddy trade since he’s on an expiring deal. I could see some roster consolidation happening as well. I could also see the Pacers picking up a vet wing in the buyout market depending on the trade returns. 

Maybe move Buddy, but I don’t see a ton of consolidation. The Pacers play extremely fast and the deep roster helps with that.

Consolidating too much will impact who they are and how they  attack. I know things slow down in the playoffs, but if the Pacers don’t try to force things to be fast they’re not beating the top of the East. Their best bet is dictating tempo and beating those teams in a track meet, which Siakim really helps them do. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Maybe move Buddy, but I don’t see a ton of consolidation. The Pacers play extremely fast and the deep roster helps with that.

Consolidating too much will impact who they are and how they  attack. I know things slow down in the playoffs, but if the Pacers don’t try to force things to be fast they’re not beating the top of the East. Their best bet is dictating tempo and beating those teams in a track meet, which Siakim really helps them do. 

I don’t think there will be a lot of consolidation but I could see one of Smith, Jackson, or Toppin moved with Buddy. Then I could see them adding a buyout vet for a playoff push. The top buyout candidate to me is Hayward if he gets bought out. 

Edited by DC2345

25 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t think there will be a lot of consolidation but I could see one of Smith, Jackson, or Toppin moved with Buddy. Then I could see them adding a buyout vet for a playoff push. The top buyout candidate to me is Hayward if he gets bought out. 

That all seems reasonable. I think Smith would be most likely to be dealt of those three. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That all seems reasonable. I think Smith would be most likely to be dealt of those three. 

Maybe. Although I really like how he’s playing and think he’s a really good insurance policy for Myles. I personally think Jackson could be the odd man out. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This would be bad for JHS in my opinion. The Lakers situation isn't ideal, but I wouldn't want to be on a bad team with Trae Young and Russell. 

Only upside is if ATL blows it up and moves both this summer. 

Would not surprise me.  I don't think Laker Nation is very happy with what they are getting from JHS.  Does this trade assume Trae Young gets moved somewhere as well?  

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Would not surprise me.  I don't think Laker Nation is very happy with what they are getting from JHS.  Does this trade assume Trae Young gets moved somewhere as well?  

Young and Johnson I think are the untouchables in Atl.  I can’t imagine any guard looks good playing next to Trae.

13 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Agree…the issue is the Pacers have to know they can’t bring all them back…so while I think Smith should stay to help back up Turner he also has a player option that he most likely will utilize making him a free agent…so yeah who knows where conversations are in who we can keep and build around. Toppin may be redundant but he is also one of the few guys with size, athleticism, length that can matchup with guys like Giannis or perhaps Jalen Brown or Durant types. He isn’t great defender but if we can get him to improve just a bit that would be helpful off the bench. I think Jackson would be the odd man out…but also the least likely to bring much back in return.

• Like 1