NBA Thread

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yes those guys mentioned stayed in one place but that will be a very rare site going forward and those players played in a  different era.  Today these guys grew up being friends playing AAU ball and doesn't have that hatred that players back then had for their opponents like they did back when those others played.

Agreed...times have changed...

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well I bet if Kyrie and KD leaves it won't be for Indiana or Utah but will be a major marker like New York.  Those big market teams has all the advantages and if they don't succeed it is their fault because they are just inept.

Same goes for the small market. You have to have a smart, capable front office. There are definitely advantages to being in places like LA, but even LA is struggling to draw top free agents. The Knicks haven’t been able to get free agents for years. Chicago has struggled to get top free agents for years. Gordon Hayward is the first big free agent Boston has signed, maybe ever. 

New Orleans issue isn’t being a small market, it’s horrible management. OKC is an example of a well run small market team. San Antonio has been well run. Indiana has been well run most of the time. Boston went 7 out of 8 seasons missing the playoffs post-Bird because they’re management was terrible. Wyc Grousbeck and Danny Ainge turned that around  

No matter the market, you have to have smart people running the show. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Same goes for the small market. You have to have a smart, capable front office. There are definitely advantages to being in places like LA, but even LA is struggling to draw top free agents. The Knicks haven’t been able to get free agents for years. Chicago has struggled to get top free agents for years. Gordon Hayward is the first big free agent Boston has signed, maybe ever. 

New Orleans issue isn’t being a small market, it’s horrible management. OKC is an example of a well run small market team. San Antonio has been well run. Indiana has been well run most of the time. Boston went 7 out of 8 seasons missing the playoffs post-Bird because they’re management was terrible. Wyc Grousbeck and Danny Ainge turned that around  

No matter the market, you have to have smart people running the show. 

Funny thing I remember on Ainge was when he was a player, he wanted to see the old guys off.  Sometime before their last championship, he wanted some trades.  You know the story better than I. 

I agree though, Ainge always looks like he fleeced whoever he trades with.  Brilliant manager for sure.

9 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Funny thing I remember on Ainge was when he was a player, he wanted to see the old guys off.  Sometime before their last championship, he wanted some trades.  You know the story better than I. 

I agree though, Ainge always looks like he fleeced whoever he trades with.  Brilliant manager for sure.

Yeah, Danny learned directly from Red, and Red’s philosophy was to trade a guy before his value dropped. Trade a guy a year before his skills drop, not a year after. 

Pacers performance in these playoffs has been an embarrassment and it shows that there needs to be some major changes next year.  Even with Victor this teams ceiling is about a 4 seed and maybe winning a series.  McMillian coached well this season but his offense is so stagnant and plays so slow and they have to take a lot of bad shots at the end of the shot clock.  Also he is so stubborn with his substitution patterns and never changes them.  He thinks he has to make certain substitutions a the same time in every game and doesn't keep the hot hand in the game.

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers performance in these playoffs has been an embarrassment and it shows that there needs to be some major changes next year.  Even with Victor this teams ceiling is about a 4 seed and maybe winning a series.  McMillian coached well this season but his offense is so stagnant and plays so slow and they have to take a lot of bad shots at the end of the shot clock.  Also he is so stubborn with his substitution patterns and never changes them.  He thinks he has to make certain substitutions a the same time in every game and doesn't keep the hot hand in the game.

Was really trying to figure out why the hottest hand (Tyreke Evans) played the 2nd fewest minutes in 2nd half. Made zero sense. As a team the Pacers should be proud of regular season and not folding after Victor injury...but the East is open for the taking. Have to find another star in the off season....somehow someway otherwise they are exactly where you suggested. Maybe win a series but nothing else. 

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

For you Pacer Fans...what sort of changes could be made? Realistically. I’m sort of a half Pacers fan mostly Bucks because I follow ZERO teams in Wisconsin besides the Bucks...

I said before the trade deadline to trade to trade some of the expiring contracts for picks or a package.  Instead we got only, opps, Matthews which was fine but again not a needle mover.  

Going forward, they have to be careful about not over paying Bojan.  He's also proving not to be able to move the needle.  Hopefully Vic is able to come back 100%.  I don't doubt him.  

They have a good chunk of money.  I'm guessing they bring Thad back in a 3 year deal.  You just never know though, these guys may want big pay days.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

For you Pacer Fans...what sort of changes could be made? Realistically. I’m sort of a half Pacers fan mostly Bucks because I follow ZERO teams in Wisconsin besides the Bucks...

I would say we need an upgrade at point guard and I would try to sign Kemba Walker.  Also I would package Myles Turner in a trade to get an upgrade because I think Turner is never going to be a great inside player.  He thinks he is a stretch 4 but he is a terrible shooter so he is a liability on offense.

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would say we need an upgrade at point guard and I would try to sign Kemba Walker.  Also I would package Myles Turner in a trade to get an upgrade because I think Turner is never going to be a great inside player.  He thinks he is a stretch 4 but he is a terrible shooter so he is a liability on offense.

Have been saying they need an elite pg, and they have tried (stayed in Memphis), need to keep trying. Can also be by developing the rookie but that’s at best a longer process and unclear. I’m not sure Kemba would play well off Vic, he’s more of a get mine pg, don’t really think that would work. 

Tend to disagree on Turner. Top of the NBA in blocks regularly, minimally a very good player, still young and developing the offensive game. However, to get an elite point someone like a Turner would need to be included 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Have been saying they need an elite pg, and they have tried (stayed in Memphis), need to keep trying. Can also be by developing the rookie but that’s at best a longer process and unclear. I’m not sure Kemba would play well off Vic, he’s more of a get mine pg, don’t really think that would work. 

Tend to disagree on Turner. Top of the NBA in blocks regularly, minimally a very good player, still young and developing the offensive game. However, to get an elite point someone like a Turner would need to be included 

This is my trade idea but probably would not work

New Orleans get

Turner

Holiday

Leaf

Draft picks

Pacers get

Anthony Davis

If we had Walker and Vic maybe Davis would see that he could here and have a big 3 and be life PG and stay in Indy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is my trade idea but probably would not work

New Orleans get

Turner

Holiday

Leaf

Draft picks

Pacers get

Anthony Davis

If we had Walker and Vic maybe Davis would see that he could here and have a big 3 and be life PG and stay in Indy.

Pelicans get no value in this trade lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ChiHoosier said:

15 hours ago, ChiHoosier said:

Well when we made the PG trade everyone couldn't believe we got much back for him.  When you have a player who is a year from free agency and pretty much made it known that he is not coming back you will not get back true value.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Pretty good article on whether the P's can play, and keep, Turner and Sabonis, and how the P's are built:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26567437/the-pacers-big-dilemma-turner-sabonis-coexist

Well in game 3 it showed that defensively Turner and Sabonis can be on the court together especially when the Celtics went small.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well when we made the PG trade everyone couldn't believe we got much back for him.  When you have a player who is a year from free agency and pretty much made it known that he is not coming back you will not get back true value.

Very true...the Pelicans might have to take the best package offered.  

I know a lot of people like the way the NBA play and I agree with some of the teams like GS but watching the pacers Celtics series it is so hard to watch.  I get so tired of just watching the pick and role at the top of the key on every possession and to me that is not how basketball is suppose to be played.

I have to question Nate McMillian and his substitution patterns.  With 5 minutes to go and down 1and he has only two starters in the game.  Boston has all of their top players in the game.  He coached well this year but how he subs totally frustrates me because he goes with a pattern and not who is playing well.  Collison is playing well today but he has had Joseph in there the last 7 minutes and he really has not played well.

Well the Pacers season will be over in a minute down 10.  It would been nice to see McMillian make an adjustment by going small in the 4th quarter since the Celtics did. When they put Morris in as the 4 and the only big is Hortford the Pacers can't have both big's in the game.  To me the main difference in this series is the coaches because Stevens totally out coached McMillian in this series.