NBA Thread

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We all know it won't happen because they won't want to give up the money.  If they shorten the season you know they will increase the cost of tickets so they can make up the money they will lose by shortening the season.

Yeah 50 and even 60 game sounds like a dream I could see them going about 75.

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Silver looking into shortening the length of the season to me is relevant to this conversation you guys are having mostly from a continual effort standpoint that teams will be putting into each game making each game more valuable.

http://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/13/adam-silver-2019-board-governors-meeting

I have zero sympathy for guys making 30 million a year having to play 82 games. If a player played all 48 minutes for 82 games that is around 65 hours of work for 30 million. Pretty over worked for playing a GAME that you love. Many of us work more hours in 1 week than the actual game time they play in a season. I dont want to hear the workouts and travel blah blah blah. It must suck to stay at the Conrad fly private jets etc get to a city and play a game. The NBA season is around 174 days long so using the 30 million dollar amount that is 82,000 a day. Suck it up and play as many as the fans are willing to pay for and your best should be expected. I get tiered of announcers saying he plays so hard. For what he is making would you expect any less. The rest of us if we don't work hard we have to look for a new job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have zero sympathy for guys making 30 million a year having to play 82 games. If a player played all 48 minutes for 82 games that is around 65 hours of work for 30 million. Pretty over worked for playing a GAME that you love. Many of us work more hours in 1 week than the actual game time they play in a season. I dont want to hear the workouts and travel blah blah blah. It must suck to stay at the Conrad fly private jets etc get to a city and play a game. The NBA season is around 174 days long so using the 30 million dollar amount that is 82,000 a day. Suck it up and play as many as the fans are willing to pay for and your best should be expected. I get tiered of announcers saying he plays so hard. For what he is making would you expect any less. The rest of us if we don't work hard we have to look for a new job.

I don't disagree I just want a better product I don't care how we get there

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't disagree I just want a better product I don't care how we get there

I believe the collective bargaining and players association have some type of wordage that will prevent the shortening of the season. Owners say in order to pay that high salary they need that many games. Neither side wants to give up revenue so ultimately the money will come from the fans. I don't disagree with what you are saying but if these NHL guys can go 82 no reason to think NBA players can, and at a high level. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think the perfect number is around 50-60 games.  The one year after a strike the season was 50 games long at to me that was about the right amount of games.  I also think they need to shorten the layoffs as well because I don't think it should take 2.5 months to play the playoffs  If I was in charge of the NBA I would contract 6 teams because I think the rosters right now is watered down with talent.  We have to many teams where you are lucky to have a couple of really good players and the talent is to dispersed unless you are a team that can get multiple superstars to come to your team. 

I look at a team like the Pacers who right now are stuck in the middle where they are to good to get high draft picks but not good enough to compete for a championship.

I think a realistic possibility is going back to the best of 5 opening round.  It's not very often that 1st round series go the full 7 (this year, one went 6 and one went 7).  In terms of revenue, there's only 3 total games that could have aired on TV.  Cuts down on travel, cuts down on the cushion needed when scheduling the 2nd round, and allows the 2nd round to start that much earlier. 

Edit: And by "realistic", I mean worth discussing, not that anyone is actively talking about it.

Edited by Zlinedavid
  • Like 1

Alright time to go out in a limb.

i think the Raptors advance out of the East,  and going way out on a limb, Rockets get past GS and move on.

The Raps, I think, are the deepest team in the East with Kawhi playing at an all time great level. They are also the most tested. Philly is no slouch. Meanwhile Greek Freak is amazing and the role players for the Bucks are solid, but their first round was a joke, and Boston, due to Irving, is playing bad ball. 

GS looks vulnerable and the Rockets are playing better ball with bangers, tough D to go with the scoring, and guys like EJ have really stepped up around Harden. The dynamic looks off for the Warriors. They could still win on shooting alone, but they just look off to me and unless Boogie comes back and healthy, they look weak. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think a realistic possibility is going back to the best of 5 opening round.  It's not very often that 1st round series go the full 7 (this year, one went 6 and one went 7).  In terms of revenue, there's only 3 total games that could have aired on TV.  Cuts down on travel, cuts down on the cushion needed when scheduling the 2nd round, and allows the 2nd round to start that much earlier. 

Edit: And by "realistic", I mean worth discussing, not that anyone is actively talking about it.

I heard that discussion yesterday and the owners will not back down on best of 7. Playoff money from TV revenue is way to high and each game beyond 4 in the series the profit is off the charts.   Not very well worded sorry

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Alright time to go out in a limb.

i think the Raptors advance out of the East,  and going way out on a limb, Rockets get past GS and move on.

The Raps, I think, are the deepest team in the East with Kawhi playing at an all time great level. They are also the most tested. Philly is no slouch. Meanwhile Greek Freak is amazing and the role players for the Bucks are solid, but their first round was a joke, and Boston, due to Irving, is playing bad ball. 

GS looks vulnerable and the Rockets are playing better ball with bangers, tough D to go with the scoring, and guys like EJ have really stepped up around Harden. The dynamic looks off for the Warriors. They could still win on shooting alone, but they just look off to me and unless Boogie comes back and healthy, they look weak. 

I like the Bucks out of the East.  Too much bench depth IMO. GS looks fatigued to me.  I did not mind the Celtics winning this series I really like BS, but after Game 1 hearing Paul Pierce say the series was over and Bucks would win 1 maybe I cant help but pull for the Bucks.  I hope the Rockets bounce the warriors, they have become so unlikable getting close to Patriots level for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think the perfect number is around 50-60 games.  The one year after a strike the season was 50 games long at to me that was about the right amount of games.  I also think they need to shorten the layoffs as well because I don't think it should take 2.5 months to play the playoffs  If I was in charge of the NBA I would contract 6 teams because I think the rosters right now is watered down with talent.  We have to many teams where you are lucky to have a couple of really good players and the talent is to dispersed unless you are a team that can get multiple superstars to come to your team.

I look at a team like the Pacers who right now are stuck in the middle where they are to good to get high draft picks but not good enough to compete for a championship.

82 games is long but nothing to baseball. I think most players also would agree with a shorter regular season, but money talks, not happening anyway. 

6 teams? Ok, so just looking at the playoff teams in the West alone, all of whom very much deserved to be there and have plenty of talent to go with good coaching, GS, Denver, Rockets, Blazers, Spurs, Thunder, wait, that’s already 6, lol. Clippers played great basketball, btw. 

If you’re watching the NBA this year you’re seeing multiple — multiple— very good teams playing great team basketball with multiple elite players. And you have the growth of small to mid market teams like the Bucks making real runs, with great team ball surrounding a star or stars. Hell, the Bucks, best record in the League, are capable of winning it all. 

The Pacers are not necessarily stuck in the middle. They were a 3 seed with a legit shot of coming out of the East with Vic healthy. They need to add at least one star level player to pair with Vic - I think a point guard - but just as they took the Lakers to 6 with Reggie, and were an absolute championship contender the year of Artest’s stupid brawl in the Palace, they can get back there, they’re not trapped by the League. It’s easier for the big market teams for sure, but then look at the Knicks. Would you rather have had the past 25 years of the Pacers, or Knicks? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I like the Bucks out of the East.  Too much bench depth IMO. GS looks fatigued to me.  I did not mind the Celtics winning this series I really like BS, but after Game 1 hearing Paul Pierce say the series was over and Bucks would win 1 maybe I cant help but pull for the Bucks.  I hope the Rockets bounce the warriors, they have become so unlikable getting close to Patriots level for me.

With you on GS. I am GS fatigued, and really it’s Durant that ruined them for me 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

82 games is long but nothing to baseball. I think most players also would agree with a shorter regular season, but money talks, not happening anyway. 

6 teams? Ok, so just looking at the playoff teams in the West alone, all of whom very much deserved to be there and have plenty of talent to go with good coaching, GS, Denver, Rockets, Blazers, Spurs, Thunder, wait, that’s already 6, lol. Clippers played great basketball, btw. 

If you’re watching the NBA this year you’re seeing multiple — multiple— very good teams playing great team basketball with multiple elite players. And you have the growth of small to mid market teams like the Bucks making real runs, with great team ball surrounding a star or stars. Hell, the Bucks, best record in the League, are capable of winning it all. 

The Pacers are not necessarily stuck in the middle. They were a 3 seed with a legit shot of coming out of the East with Vic healthy. They need to add at least one star level player to pair with Vic - I think a point guard - but just as they took the Lakers to 6 with Reggie, and were an absolute championship contender the year of Artest’s stupid brawl in the Palace, they can get back there, they’re not trapped by the League. It’s easier for the big market teams for sure, but then look at the Knicks. Would you rather have had the past 25 years of the Pacers, or Knicks? 

speaking of which 24 years ago Reggie solidified his place in basketball lore forever.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

With you on GS. I am GS fatigued, and really it’s Durant that ruined them for me 

I don't like Durant, really dislike Green but would love him on my team and so many calls go in their favor.  I love their ball movement and screening and their defensive rotations as a coach but as a fan I hope they lose.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I love Brad Stevens and I still think he's one of the top 2-3 coaches in the NBA. What he's done in Boston has been phenomenal. With that said, he did a really bad job this season. I don't know if there is really anything you can do with a personality/figure like Kyrie, but Stevens wasn't able to ever get the team to play properly for any extended stretch. 

I still think Boston is the more talented team top-to-bottom compared to Philly and Milwaukee (not sure about Toronto when they're healthy, they're really good), but for whatever reason (again, probably even out of his control) Stevens was unable to get this team to play together. I've never seen a team take more horrible shots off of zero or just 1 pass super early in the shot-clock (the Celtics did this constantly), and they basically played 'my turn, your turn' on offense most of the season. The dynamics completely ruined Tatum's development this season and really hurt Jaylen Brown for the first half. 

I put most of it at the feet of Kyrie, but Stevens is the coach and he gets a ton of accolades so he has to share some when it goes bad like it did this season. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Durant is a great player playing at a ridiculous level right now, but his style of play is currently ruining what made the Warriors 'The Warriors'. I don't like the heat Steph is getting right now, because this isn't Steph's team anymore. What makes Steph one of the hardest players in the NBA to defend is the ball and people movement the Warriors always had. Steph isn't a spot-up shooter, and Durant playing iso ball is killing everything the Warriors are based upon. 

This isn't me saying Durant isn't the best player, but might be, but his style doesn't necessarily fit Golden State anymore.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Durant is a great player playing at a ridiculous level right now, but his style of play is currently ruining what made the Warriors 'The Warriors'. I don't like the heat Steph is getting right now, because this isn't Steph's team anymore. What makes Steph one of the hardest players in the NBA to defend is the ball and people movement the Warriors always had. Steph isn't a spot-up shooter, and Durant playing iso ball is killing everything the Warriors are based upon. 

This isn't me saying Durant isn't the best player, but might be, but his style doesn't necessarily fit Golden State anymore.

I do not think Steph gets enough heat. anytime he misses a layup or open 3's the injury excuse is made from every talking head out there. 

• Like 1

Just having some fun here, @Hoosierhoopster, obviously the Celtics-Bucks series is more than just this, but with that said it is still a make/miss league a lot of the time. While the Bucks are outplaying the Celtics, no doubt, in some very key spots the Celtics are missing a lot of really open shots as well, whereas the Bucks are making them. That does go back to what type of shots you're taking as well though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Just having some fun here, @Hoosierhoopster, obviously the Celtics-Bucks series is more than just this, but with that said it is still a make/miss league a lot of the time. While the Bucks are outplaying the Celtics, no doubt, in some very key spots the Celtics are missing a lot of really open shots as well, whereas the Bucks are making them. That does go back to what type of shots you're taking as well though. 

Tomek Kordylewski?  And here I thought Boston was an Irish town.

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

And Durant is more about getting his.

someone posted a story earlier in the year about how the Warriors fare when Steph misses games compared to how they fare when Durant does. It wasn’t close, without Durant they generally still won whereas without Curry they lost more. He is their engine and playmaker. Durant is a great player, but I’d take Steph over him every day (and I don’t really care for Steph at this point either). 

I think this season is the end of the Warriors as we’ve known them win or lose — but I hope they lose. 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kawhi is on another level. Just amazing 

It’s funny how we forget, before that injury in the playoffs against the Warriors a couple years ago Kawhi was absolutely the 3rd best player in the NBA, and closer to LeBron and Durant than whoever you’d put at 4th. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

It’s funny how we forget, before that injury in the playoffs against the Warriors a couple years ago Kawhi was absolutely the 3rd best player in the NBA, and closer to LeBron and Durant than whoever you’d put at 4th. 

Yep.

A lot of people soured on Kawhi over his handling of his injury / diagnosis and the Spurs' medical team's differing opinion / diagnosis from Kawhi's doctors' diagnosis/opinion. 

It's also somewhat amazing that that situation unfolded to the point where Kawhi left the Spurs, and that the Spurs allowed one of the best players in the League, and a future HOF'er, to get away like that. 

Not to rehash that whole situation, but it's pretty clear there were legitimate differences of medical opinion, and the Spurs really blew it in the way they handled it. (Yes, Kawhi's team was in the wrong too, imo, in the way they handled it, but the Spurs/Pop shouldn't have publicly questioned him/challenged him, that was seriously stupid.)

• Like 1