NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Interesting. The Nets were a good team this year -- and a heck of a lot better than the Knicks, who are really just a name at this point in search of trades and free agents. 

Some similarity in how the Clips are in the rumor picture for Klay Thompson, and not the Lakers.

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Nets to sign Kyrie... You can’t compete for a championship with Kyrie as your best player.  Bad locker room guy, bad defender, volume shooter.  He needs to be a secondary scorer alongside a truly elite player like he was in Cleveland with LeBron.  The Nets don’t have that type of player, not to mention that there’s no way Kyrie would be able to coexist with D’Angelo Russell.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Nets to sign Kyrie... You can’t compete for a championship with Kyrie as your best player.  Bad locker room guy, bad defender, volume shooter.  He needs to be a secondary scorer alongside a truly elite player like he was in Cleveland with LeBron.  The Nets don’t have that type of player, not to mention that there’s no way Kyrie would be able to coexist with D’Angelo Russell.

If you read my posts above you'll see I agree. Kyrie is a selfish, me-first, stupid player. Loaded with talent, but totally selfish, and not capable of leading a team. He needs a LeBron, but he ran away from him to be the star, and then after shooting horribly in the second game he said he should've shot 30 times. If he were to join LeBron in Laker land, that would make the Lakers better. If he goes anywhere to be The Man, that will make that team worse.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Interesting. The Nets were a good team this year -- and a heck of a lot better than the Knicks, who are really just a name at this point in search of trades and free agents. 

Some similarity in how the Clips are in the rumor picture for Klay Thompson, and not the Lakers.

And now, what's his name, Dakich's basketball buddy just said Mark it down, kyrie to Lakers.  

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I keep seeing something about Klay and Pacers. Where did this come from? Actual news or did someone just float the idea?

Haven't seen that but wouldn't be surprised to see the Pacers try to get involved. Talk behind the scenes though, including from Woj, is that the Clippers are the team to beat if GS doesn't step up with a large contract.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Haven't seen that but wouldn't be surprised to see the Pacers try to get involved. Talk behind the scenes though, including from Woj, is that the Clippers are the team to beat if GS doesn't step up with a large contract.

Thanks. Was just curious. Obviously I would love it for the Pacers....and honestly just to make the offer would be a big step for a franchise that rarely makes a play in free agency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes he did. I grew up a Magic Johnson lakers fan but since Brad took the job I have for most part enjoyed watching them but this year and especially the playoffs have been brutal. 

I think he needed to ride Lebrons coattails a little more. More times than not it's harder to be Batman than it is to be Robin. Ask PG😀

PG was absolutely fine as "Batman" -- the difference was that Bird destroyed the team and left him with bad support, including, largely, Teague. 

The guy was the second leading scorer in the League last year. He had the most steals, the most steals per game, and the most recovered loose balls, in the entire League. He was the 3rd leading 3-point shooter, in shots made, and at 39%, and that's despite the shoulder injuries, a torn tendon in the right shoulder and a lesser tear in the left, which he played through. He was in the top 3 for League MVP and a front runner for Defensive MVP.

That's a "Batman." 

When you destroy a team around a guy, try to force him to play out of position, you can't then say, golly, he's a Robin. The guy is now, clearly, a top 10 player.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks. Was just curious. Obviously I would love it for the Pacers....and honestly just to make the offer would be a big step for a franchise that rarely makes a play in free agency.

P's are just a piece or two away, imo. Getting that other star to run with Vic is no easy task in Pacer land, but it's possible. I don't see any realistic chance Klay would go to Indiana/the Pacers, but yeah, they should definitely try, and they have the record and Vic to hold out there. Unlike Kyrie, most players would like to play with Vic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

PG was absolutely fine as "Batman" -- the difference was that Bird destroyed the team and left him with bad support, including, largely, Teague. 

The guy was the second leading scorer in the League last year. He had the most steals, the most steals per game, and the most recovered loose balls, in the entire League. He was the 3rd leading 3-point shooter, in shots made, and at 39%, and that's despite the shoulder injuries, a torn tendon in the right shoulder and a lesser tear in the left, which he played through. He was in the top 3 for League MVP and a front runner for Defensive MVP.

That's a "Batman." 

When you destroy a team around a guy, try to force him to play out of position, you can't then say, golly, he's a Robin. The guy is now, clearly, a top 10 player.

I love this discussion because I do like PG but I like being a smart ass more. Batman catches at least 1 bad guy in 16 attempts though. 0/16 is very Robinesque 😀

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I love this discussion because I do like PG but I like being a smart ass more. Batman catches at least 1 bad guy in 16 attempts though. 0/16 is very Robinesque 😀

The 0-16 talk failed this year Billingsley. He hit multiple game winners and was a stud all year. Nice try though. :D

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's a "Batman." 

Last year as Robin right

47 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

P's are just a piece or two away, imo. Getting that other star to run with Vic is no easy task in Pacer land, but it's possible. I don't see any realistic chance Klay would go to Indiana/the Pacers, but yeah, they should definitely try, and they have the record and Vic to hold out there. Unlike Kyrie, most players would like to play with Vic.

I would like for the pacers to make a run at Kemba Walker because we need another guy who can score late in games and create his own shot.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would like for the pacers to make a run at Kemba Walker because we need another guy who can score late in games and create his own shot.

Kemba wouldn't work well with Vic. Kemba needs the ball and is ball dominant. P's need an elite point guard or other all-star level scorer who isn't ball dominant.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Robin Robin Robin we all know who Batman is in that relationship 

Yeah I see you're having fun here. Paul G was the man this year for the Thunder, not a Robin at all, and a lot like what Durant was with Westbrook, then Westbrook went back to the me-me game in the playoffs and sunk them. Oh well. Real question, aside from the silly Robin stuff, is whether anyone can be successful next to Westbrook. I'm still in the maybe category there -- Durant and Westbrook should have finished off GS that year, but completely choked. This year PG was the man, but then the torn shoulders screwed him up at the worst possible time, headed into the playoffs, and Westbrook went back to stupid.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah I see you're having fun here. Paul G was the man this year for the Thunder, not a Robin at all, and a lot like what Durant was with Westbrook, then Westbrook went back to the me-me game in the playoffs and sunk them. Oh well. Real question, aside from the silly Robin stuff, is whether anyone can be successful next to Westbrook. I'm still in the maybe category there -- Durant and Westbrook should have finished off GS that year, but completely choked. This year PG was the man, but then the torn shoulders screwed him up at the worst possible time, headed into the playoffs, and Westbrook went back to stupid.

He did have a career year because he did not have to be Batman. He like I have said since the trade would do so well if he was the number 2. Noting against PG but there is no pressure on him and he plays much better that way. If Russ did not screw things up I think they were a real threat in the West

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Stephen A just floated this out there. Nothing off the table for Lakers including possibly trading Lebron since he didn't get the coach he wanted. I'm not a diehard but this is setting up as one of the biggest off seasons in years for NBA. 

Wow, thanks for the heads up.  I had no idea.  Your post prompted me to google it and the Lakers tried to link Lue's deal to Lebron.  Lue was offended.  Hopefully he's not biting his nose to spite his face.  But, in terms of principle, he is correct.  Honestly, its like the Lakers did that to send a message to Lebron.

Either way, the Lakers should not have done that.  If Lebron were gone, then you just fire Lue if that's your wish.  You may have to swallow Lue money, but that's par for the course and every team does that.  In the end, the money is just the cost of doing business.  Nobody would lose sleep over it.  It's like a rounding error for the sums these guys are making.  It was a pretty stupid thing to do, IMO.

The Lakers miss Jerry West.  What a class guy and smart GM he has always been.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

41 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kemba wouldn't work well with Vic. Kemba needs the ball and is ball dominant. P's need an elite point guard or other all-star level scorer who isn't ball dominant.

Not many of those type of point guards left or scorers who play well off the ball.

That is the Pacers problem is that they have to build through the draft but when you are drafting 18-25 every year it is about impossible to be championship team.  They will never be a destination for top free agents and this year with so many free agents it is hard to make many trades.  to me you have to choose between Turner and Sabonis and trade one of them for some quality scorers.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is the Pacers problem is that they have to build through the draft but when you are drafting 18-25 every year it is about impossible to be championship team.  They will never be a destination for top free agents and this year with so many free agents it is hard to make many trades.  to me you have to choose between Turner and Sabonis and trade one of them for some quality scorers.

Or you trade up in the draft?

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not many of those type of point guards left or scorers who play well off the ball.

That's kind of the problem, but there are guys out there, and there's building through the draft, as the P's did with Reggie and later PG (and Granger, his injuries limited him). Of course Vic and Sabonis have turned out great for the P's. They'll have chances to continue to improve the roster.

Also, one thing Bird did handle well was his work to bring in Artest et al. I didn't like how the Reggie/Rose/Davis bros team was broken up after they took the Shaq/Kobe Lakers to 6, but they did end up with a serious contender through trades. Of course that was when they had Reggie and had been the Beast of the East and in the Finals, but point being that team, through trades, was a real threat for the title -- but ruined by Artest's stupidity. 

51 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He did have a career year because he did not have to be Batman. He like I have said since the trade would do so well if he was the number 2. Noting against PG but there is no pressure on him and he plays much better that way. If Russ did not screw things up I think they were a real threat in the West

He had a career year AS BATMAN. if you were actually following the Thunder you would've seen that it was PG, not Westbrook, leading that team. That was why Damian Lillard publicly stated PG "is the MVP", that he was on a different level from everyone -- he was. The Robin thing is just wrong.