NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's why I'm curious if the draft is as weak as people say it is...could the Pacers actually trade up from current spot without having to give as much?

I don’t see any difference makers outside the top three... Hell, Garland is being projected at 4.  Of course there are always guys that work hard to improve and can surprise people, but that’s the way it looks right now.  My Bulls fan friends are suicidal right now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Nope.  After the first three, the rest are not gauranteed starter material.  More likely to trade down than up.  

I really never follow the draft. Are there any foreign players that might slip in top 3. I think that if JA Morant is at 4 I would make a move.  Myles would help Lakers more than Morant would 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I really never follow the draft. Are there any foreign players that might slip in top 3. I think that if JA Morant is at 4 I would make a move.  Myles would help Lakers more than Morant would 

Morant is going to go #2 to Memphis. No way the Lakers would trade #4 for Turner. While you might not ultimately get a player better than Turner, draft picks hold a lot of value before the draft. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Romeo will not slip that far. Would anyone welcome Myles Turner to Lakers for 4th pick 

I wouldn't mind trading him but really there is not great layers after the first couple of players in this draft.  Put Ingram and the 4th pick then I would lsiten

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't mind trading him but really there is not great layers after the first couple of players in this draft.  Put Ingram and the 4th pick then I would lsiten

I would expect Pacers to move back not up but if for some crazy reason Morant is there I would try to make a move. 

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I would expect Pacers to move back not up but if for some crazy reason Morant is there I would try to make a move. 

He won't be there. Memphis will take him #2, unless RJ Barrett somehow blows them away in a workout. If that happens, then the Knicks take him #3. This is a 3-player draft at the top. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The Lakers would hang up the phone in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Would they if the P's offered future draft picks?

I think to start the conversation the Pacers would have to include future picks and agree to take back a bad contract from the Lakers (though not sure they actually have one). The numbers would have to work to roughly match Turner's contract.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Probably would but the 4th pick is not enough plus what Turner makes it would be hard to match salaries when making a trade. 

The Lakers don't have many big salaries, so matching would be almost impossible. 

I don't think the Lakers are trading #4 unless it's in a package for an immediate star (Anthony Davis or someone like that), but if the Pacers wanted to try for it I think they'd have to start with Sabonis. But realistically, I don't think there would be a match between the Pacers and Lakers on this one. 

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I could not watch the Pacers if they had Ingram. I just waiting for 1 of those tooth pick legs to just snap.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On the way to work I was listening to 1070am and they were talking about one mock draft and they had the Pacers drafting Romeo at 18.  In this mock they had San Antonio at 19 picking Carsen Edwards.

Those are some uninformed people. Edwards won't go 19 and Romeo falling to 18, possible, but unlikely.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Oh heck yeah.  I laid 8n bed last night thinking about how could the pacers get into top 3.  I got nothing.  

Like I have said.  Six.  6 expiring contracts and they did Jack diddly squat.   Even if you are bringing Thad, Bojan, and a Collison on the cheap back, there was zero chance of getting to the conference finals with that roster.   It's business and they didn't play.  

On foreign guys, no clue but someone always pops up.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

Pacers made a major mistake not trading some of those expiring contracts for some picks or something.  I'll probably be talking about this for years.  What a waste, especially and specifically when Vic went down.  

Thad, Bojan, Collison,  tyreke Evans,  Kyle OQuinn,  Cory Joseph.  

You mean to tell me that a team looking to be a major player in free agency wouldn't have a taken a few of those cats?  Not one of them was going to lead to the conference to finals.  And if you do plan to bring a few back, you tell them how much you love them on the way out and that you will be calling their agent in the spri.g about bringing them back but at the moment this is about improving for the future because this season is over.  

Sigh, rant over.

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pacers made a major mistake not trading some of those expiring contracts for some picks or something.  I'll probably be talking about this for years.  What a waste, especially and specifically when Vic went down.  

Thad, Bojan, Collison,  tyreke Evans,  Kyle OQuinn,  Cory Joseph.  

You mean to tell me that a team looking to be a major player in free agency wouldn't have a taken a few of those cats?  Not one of them was going to lead to the conference to finals.  And if you do plan to bring a few back, you tell them how much you love them on the way out and that you will be calling their agent in the spri.g about bringing them back but at the moment this is about improving for the future because this season is over.  

Sigh, rant over.

Actually I wouldn't trade players for draft picks unless if it is a top 5 pick.  It seems like in the NBA draft once you get out of the top 10 there is not that many difference makers so I would trade draft picks for proven commodities  Also Bojan and Thad is the only one I would bring back and Bojan is probably going to get a big payday so it will be hard to bring him back..

Edited by IU Scott

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually I wouldn't trade players for draft picks unless if it is a top 5 pick.  It seems like in the NBA draft once you get out of the top 10 there is not that many difference makers so I would trade draft picks for proven commodities  Also Bojan and Thad is the only one I would bring back and Bojan is probably going to get a big payday so it will be hard to bring him back..

I believe you bring back Bojan at almost any cost 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That's fine, picks or something.  A package, anything.  Instead those 6 equal nothing and rumors saying a few teams are going to target Bojan with big money.   At least picks are cheap and offer you a chance.  Instead there is a high probability 4-5 of those guys returned zip, zero zilch besides an uninspired first round exit. 

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

That's fine, picks or something.  A package, anything.  Instead those 6 equal nothing and rumors saying a few teams are going to target Bojan with big money.   At least picks are cheap and offer you a chance.  Instead there is a high probability 4-5 of those guys returned zip, zero zilch besides an uninspired first round exit. 

The other teams are not stupid or at least most aren't so what would you think you could have gotten  Collision, Joseph, O'Quinn or Evans.

Just now, IU Scott said:

The other teams are not stupid or at least most aren't so what would you think you could have gotten  Collision, Joseph, O'Quinn or Evans.

A few 2nd rounds picks or a package of Thad and one or 2 of them for a mid to late first rounder.  Talks of pacers tradimg back because after the top 3 there is t a big difference in the rest of the 1st round so you get more swings at finding your Donovan Mitchell or OG.  Say you have your own and Phillies 24 because they sure could have used the depth of Thad and and a Collison or Joseph.  18 and 24 have packageable value too.  Instead we have nothing.   Something > nothing

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

A few 2nd rounds picks or a package of Thad and one or 2 of them for a mid to late first rounder.  Talks of pacers tradimg back because after the top 3 there is t a big difference in the rest of the 1st round so you get more swings at finding your Donovan Mitchell or OG.  Say you have your own and Phillies 24 because they sure could have used the depth of Thad and and a Collison or Joseph.  18 and 24 have packageable value too.  Instead we have nothing.   Something > nothing

Rather kept them and made the run this year because having multiple second round picks doe snot help out at all.  Like I said after the top 5 or 10 picks it is a crap shoot in the NBA draft.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Rather kept them and made the run this year because having multiple second round picks doe snot help out at all.  Like I said after the top 5 or 10 picks it is a crap shoot in the NBA draft.

What run?  What happened was totally predictable.  You ignore the trade of Thad and another for a mid 1st rounder.  That has value and Thad could still be resigned in the summer and let him retire here.  

We have already had this discussion.   You complain about small market teams not having a chance.  Drafting 18 gives you about a 5% chance of striking gold.  Why not up your chances to 10%.

Agree to disagree.  Point is pacers got nothing but a first round bounce  that everyone knew was coming.   What would have been even worse would have been hanging onto the 3 and getting beat by the nets.  

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What run?  What happened was totally predictable.  You ignore the trade of Thad and another for a mid 1st rounder.  That has value and Thad could still be resigned in the summer and let him retire here.  

We have already had this discussion.   You complain about small market teams not having a chance.  Drafting 18 gives you about a 5% chance of striking gold.  Why not up your chances to 10%.

Agree to disagree.  Point is pacers got nothing but a first round bounce  that everyone knew was coming.   What would have been even worse would have been hanging onto the 3 and getting beat by the nets.  

Where we disagree is that I don't think a trade even with Thad in it would produce much of anything.  I rather make trades like the one where we got Thad and that was to give up #20 in the draft to get him..  For teams like the Pacers to every be a contender they have be able to get a top 3 pick by sucking for a few years like Philly did. Trading the players you mentioned would never get you a top 3 pick so all you are doing is trading a descent player for another one but younger.