NBA Thread

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I watch other games besides the Pacers but just don't watch all the game because to me it is unwatchable for me to watch a whole NBA game.  I just don't agree with the rule and to me it is not dirty to get into someone space when shooting.  It might be illegal In the NBA game but there are a lot of rules in the NBA that I don't agree with and is not anywhere near what basketball rules were meant to be.

Its in the rule book because that defensive play has proven to cause injury.   So when Golden state uses it as a defensive tactic, intentions can and have been called into question.  

Personal opinion aside, if something can and has caused enough injury in the sport to the point the NBA has made a rule to prevent further injury from happening, its fair game when someone does it, causes injury, and has a history.  Now when Klay, Draymond, and Steph all did it to Harden in the same game, i think they were being overzealous aggressive defenders.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is an interesting read. The Lakers are a complete mess, as we knew. But Magic as a bully in the organization on top of being a terrible front-office decision-maker, eye opening. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

Maybe everyone should stop calling him 'Magic'.

Question about that name.  Did he bring io college with him, or did he pick it up after getting to MSU.  

43 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is an interesting read. The Lakers are a complete mess, as we knew. But Magic as a bully in the organization on top of being a terrible front-office decision-maker, eye opening. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

The Lakers screwed this entire thing up so badly. They shouldn't of hired Magic under a "show up when you can" agreement in the first place, as this wasn't a part-time job. But, if they were going to do that, then the huge mistake was hiring a GM below him that he didn't know and already have an at least working relationship with. By hiring Pelinka they basically put both of them in a no-win situation. 

The other huge mistake was simply hiring two guys with zero experience running an NBA team. Neither Magic or Pelinka had every worked for a team in that capacity. The entire thing was set-up to be a disaster from the get-go. 

With all that said, since they're the Lakers this could all go away this summer if New Orleans decides to deal with them and/or a couple big-time free agents agree to go there. I don't know why a big-time free agent would want to deal with this mess and have to operate with LeBron's team interfering, but it's still LA and it's still the Lakers You never know?

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Lakers screwed this entire thing up so badly. They shouldn't of hired Magic under a "show up when you can" agreement in the first place, as this wasn't a part-time job. But, if they were going to do that, then the huge mistake was hiring a GM below him that he didn't know and already have an at least working relationship with. By hiring Pelinka they basically put both of them in a no-win situation. 

The other huge mistake was simply hiring two guys with zero experience running an NBA team. Neither Magic or Pelinka had every worked for a team in that capacity. The entire thing was set-up to be a disaster from the get-go. 

With all that said, since they're the Lakers this could all go away this summer if New Orleans decides to deal with them and/or a couple big-time free agents agree to go there. I don't know why a big-time free agent would want to deal with this mess and have to operate with LeBron's team interfering, but it's still LA and it's still the Lakers You never know?

Wholeheartedly agree. Add that Pelinka was what, Kobe's agent? (Working from memory here.) Great GM hire, lol. 

What I didn't see coming was that Magic was not only a terrible front-office guy (not much different than his former nemesis turned friend, Bird, in that regard), but also an all-out bully and threatener around the "office." For all his public comments about Pelinka (likely much deserved), he comes out looking just as bad. 

Magic would've been a good "ambassador" type hire. Let him recruit guys, without the tampering danger. Let him be the showman without the job responsibility, that that job clearly required. Yeah, it was a terrible move from the beginning.

The Lakers are turning into the Knicks, lol. 

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe everyone should stop calling him 'Magic'.

Question about that name.  Did he bring io college with him, or did he pick it up after getting to MSU.  

Brought it with him. He was dubbed "Magic" by a reporter as a high school sophomore after a 36 point, 18 rebound, 16 assist triple double.

I don't get the fascination with Tyronn Lue.  I thought he was lousy with Cleveland and LeBron didn't appear to have any respect for him.  He just struck me as a caretaker coach that was brought in to appease the egos on the team.  Didn't strike me as an effective tactician at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Your definition is different than that of the rule book, every NBA player's definition not on GS, and refs, the coaches, and almost every other fan of the game. This isn't really a matter of opinion, it's a matter of the rules, which are there for this very reason. It's a dangerous play. The only thing that is up for debate is whether it was intentional. Most, including me, saw it as intentional. I was watching the game live. I've also watched Za Za's dirty game for years. I'm sure you haven't, you only follow the Pacers, but you're entitled to your opinion on watching replays. 

To the tune of "Hava Nagila":

Za-Za-Pachula,
Za-Za-Pachula,
Za-Za-Pachula, you dirty schmuck. 

Everyone! Za-Za-Pachula......

• Like 1

Let's see if the Raptors will reign in Drake, the NBA is involved -- again:

The NBA spoke to the Toronto Raptors during the Eastern Conference finals about Drake's activity and presence on the sideline, a league spokesman told ESPN.

Last year, the NBA warned the rapper, who is also a global ambassador for the Raptors, after a confrontation with then-Cavaliers center Kendrick Perkins during a playoff series between Toronto and Cleveland.

Drake drew attention this year for leaving his courtside seat in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals to give Toronto coach Nick Nurse a shoulder massage.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver issued a memo earlier this year reminding the league's franchises to state and enforce their fan conduct policies.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26848881/nba-spoke-raptors-drake-ecf

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The man who thinks he invented gming is pulling the plug on cp3 and his horrible contract.  

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26847098/rockets-making-cp3-others-available

That’s hilarious...nobody is paying a 34-35 year old injury riddled pg the rest of that contract...you would have to pay to get rid of him. Funny the team is open for trades but the only one worth having is Harden and he is the one they likely wouldn’t give up. Over pay Capella and Paul...that was so dumb. Rockets are finished. The window to win in the NBA is so small...you have to go all in when you have a shot...it don’t work...tear it down and start over. Wish the Pacers had figured that out years ago but they would rather milk the fan base then risk it.

Edited by dgambill

So the Finals kick off tonight, and talking heads are already saying this is a wrap for GS if GS wins G1, and GS will win anyway in 5 or 6.

OK, so it could certainly go down that way, but I'm thinking Toronto is getting overlooked, again.

Most (myself included, after originally picking Toronto) picked the Bucks to beat Toronto, at least before G4 (when I switched my pick back lol). Then they rattled of 4 straight including in Milwaukee. No one else did that to the Bucks this year.

Toronto has a group of all-defensive players, not just Kawhi, who is the best in the game. They have home court. They've beaten GS this year. They're experienced, not a bunch of young players. They're led by a former Finals MVP, who GS has not been able to stop. They have outside shooting. They've proven to be resilient, coming back down 2. GS is still missing Durant (who, in this series, would,maybe will, really help).

I wouldn't write off Toronto. GS is coming off winning 5 straight (from memory), Curry is playing out of his mind good, Draymond's been very much back to form (as much as I can't stand him), but ... this could be a very good series, and Toronto could win it.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So the Finals kick off tonight, and talking heads are already saying this is a wrap for GS if GS wins G1, and GS will win anyway in 5 or 6.

OK, so it could certainly go down that way, but I'm thinking Toronto is getting overlooked, again.

Most (myself included) picked the Bucks to beat Toronto, at least before G4 (when I switched my pick lol). Then they rattled of 4 straight including in Milwaukee. No one else did that to the Bucks this year.

Toronto has a group of all-defensive players, not just Kawhi, who is the best in the game. They have home court. They've beaten GS this year. They're experienced, not a bunch of young players. They're led by a former Finals MVP, who GS has not been able to stop. They have outside shooting. They've proven to be resilient, coming back down 2. GS is still missing Durant (who, in this series, would,maybe will, really help).

I wouldn't write off Toronto. GS is coming off winning 5 straight (from memory), Curry is playing out of his mind good, Draymond's been very much back to form (as much as I can't stand him), but ... this could be a very good series, and Toronto could win it.

I agree completely. If I was betting, I'd take GS for sure, but I think it's way closer than the media/pundits are saying. Toronto comes into the Finals as a battle-tested team, and I'd argue that if you were ranking the playoff opponents that each team has faced to get to the Finals that Milwaukee and Philly would #1 and #2. GS hasn't exactly had the toughest road to the Finals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I agree completely. If I was betting, I'd take GS for sure, but I think it's way closer than the media/pundits are saying. Toronto comes into the Finals as a battle-tested team, and I'd argue that if you were ranking the playoff opponents that each team has faced to get to the Finals that Milwaukee and Philly would #1 and #2. GS hasn't exactly had the toughest road to the Finals. 

Yeah, the Blazers were playing well, but the Bucks and Philly were better, imo.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Seems like it was just yesterday that the west was considered far stronger than the east.

Like HH said, the West is much, much deeper, but the top of the East, at least this season, was on par, if not better than the West. 

27 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Well, if they didn't get your attention before, the Raptors have arrived.

So KD.....how's that calf feeling?

Andre reinjured his as well. Dynasties usually fall apart due to injuries....I’m not sure GS is deep enough to over come them all. Clearly Toronto’s role players outplayed GS...Pascal, Green, and Gasol all woke up at the same time. GS can steal one Sunday but they looked out of sync...long lay-off did them no favors considering Durant looks no closer to playing.

Is there anyone on the Rockets that you would make a drastic trade to get to the pacers?

For the record.  Gordon turns 31 this Christmas.   The 3 point shooting % has trickled down over the years as volume has went up.  Right at 36% 2 years in a row now.  

He would be in the final year of his contract at at 14 mil.  

Is Capella a better Turner that doesn't shoot threes?

47 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Is there anyone on the Rockets that you would make a drastic trade to get to the pacers?

For the record.  Gordon turns 31 this Christmas.   The 3 point shooting % has trickled down over the years as volume has went up.  Right at 36% 2 years in a row now.  

He would be in the final year of his contract at at 14 mil.  

Is Capella a better Turner that doesn't shoot threes?

Capella's a very good player, but I don't think he'd be an improvement over Turner. Capella gets most of his offense/points through Harden's dump-offs and dishes, he plays well with Harden. Not sure how well his game would translate to the P's. Good player though.

I wouldn't make any drastic trade for any Rockets player outside Harden (who isn't going anywhere), but I'd take EJ if I could get him at fair value. He's better than anyone on the Pacers outside Vic. He is past 30, his 3-point average is not trending up, but he's a heck of a scorer and all-around player, and he had a really good showing for much of the playoffs. EJ and Vic, besides the fun of seeing 2 IU guys on the floor together, imo would be lethal.

• Like 2