NBA Thread

^^ Vic is absolutely an all star (reserve) this year, and last I checked was third in voting among East Conf guards. I think it's always been agreed he'd have a legit shot at the allstar game with the Pacers. The question about him, in joining the P's, was more about whether he could raise his game to become one of the elite (top 25 or better) players in the League. He was nowhere near that discussion last year, but as of right now, he looks to be doing just that, which, particularly considering his play with the Thunder last season, is outstanding. 

See my post above about how well both are doing . Vic is killing it with the P's -- and that really reflects how much better he is as the lead, on-the-ball guard, as opposed to trying to play off ball next to a superstar. He was not good next to Westbrook, that was largely a failure of an experiment (and in my view also reflects poorly on Westbrook and his crazy useage percentages). But now he's playing brilliant ball as the lead guy. Another relevant point here -- Teague is gone. The Teague experiment with the P's also was a failure, his ball dominant play did not help the P's, or PG (and they had chemistry issues). This isn't the team PG played with, and it's much better suited to Vic's game.

Meanwhile PG is playing great ball with the Thunder, and is complimenting Westbrook, allowing for a big three game, again emphasizing his defensive game, and  in the discussion as one of the best two-way players in the League, again. Some irony in that could cost him an all star spot in the West (though as of now he appears to be in, particularly considering he's leading the League in steals, 3rd in defensive win shares and is in the running for defensive MVP, while in the top 5 in 3-pointers and at 43%).  Win win all around, at this point.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Couple of us tried to say how good of a trade that was for Pacers when they made trade for PG. Would love to find that thread. Anyway...Crean embracing Vic. Makes me wish things could have worked out for him. Truly a good guy. Wearing the IU colors as well. 

I know I was early on the bandwagon for that trade. I thought Vic was better than he got credit for but more than that, I knew he would be great for team chemistry and if anything, he's exceeded expectations there as well.

Basketball Reference has a cool feature where they list cumulative career stats for each draft class.  I was just looking at it to see how OG compared to everyone in the 2017 class, and as expected, he rates in the top 15 in almost every meaningful category (Top 10 in most), an indication that he was likely drafted too low.  

That led me to think, well what about Yogi.  Unfortunately, Yogi was not drafted in 2016, so there's no easy list and sort option to see how where he stands.  that said, he does have his personal page on the site, and by comparing his personal stats against those that were drafted, I thought these were particularly interesting.

• He would rank 5th in career win shares at 3.8.
  • He would be 7th in career ppg at 10.1
  • He would be 5th in Value over Replacement at .9
  • If you throw out a couple of guys that have played less than 15 games, he would rank 4th in Box Plus/Minus at -.5
  • 9th in minutes played with 2457 (which makes his top 5 in win shares even more impressive)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2016.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/ferreyo01.html

The young man has done himself proud.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Basketball Reference has a cool feature where they list cumulative career stats for each draft class.  I was just looking at it to see how OG compared to everyone in the 2017 class, and as expected, he rates in the top 15 in almost every meaningful category (Top 10 in most), an indication that he was likely drafted too low.  

That led me to think, well what about Yogi.  Unfortunately, Yogi was not drafted in 2016, so there's no easy list and sort option to see how where he stands.  that said, he does have his personal page on the site, and by comparing his personal stats against those that were drafted, I thought these were particularly interesting.

• He would rank 5th in career win shares at 3.8.
  • He would be 7th in career ppg at 10.1
  • He would be 5th in Value over Replacement at .9
  • If you throw out a couple of guys that have played less than 15 games, he would rank 4th in Box Plus/Minus at -.5
  • 9th in minutes played with 2457 (which makes his top 5 in win shares even more impressive)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2016.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/ferreyo01.html

The young man has done himself proud.

You know what I love seeing the most?  Yogi WAAAAAY ahead of Tyler Ulis.  I got so sick of hearing how much better Ulis was than Yogi when they were in college.  All I saw out of Ulis was speed.

It's also good to see A.J. Hammons and Caleb Swanigan tearing it up in the NBA. :coffee:

Edited by FKIM01
Added Swanigan...LOL...
  • Like 1

Hammons I was never sold on. I started a thread on another site discussing only Hammons or Painter could keep him around for 4 years...i.e. lack of development,etc... Many of the fans up north took offense. As of this email I'll stand by what I said. Painter doesn't develop bigs. 

Swanigan is a different story. Not sure why he's on extended trip to G league. Especially as a first rounder. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hammons I was never sold on. I started a thread on another site discussing only Hammons or Painter could keep him around for 4 years...i.e. lack of development,etc... Many of the fans up north took offense. As of this email I'll stand by what I said. Painter doesn't develop bigs. 

Swanigan is a different story. Not sure why he's on extended trip to G league. Especially as a first rounder. 

Hammons always struck me as lazy and disinterested. Such a waste of size and physical ability. 

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

No all star start for Vic. Reserves will be announced in a few days. 

Saw a chart where he was 4th in the Fan voting for Eastern Conference backcourt player, but was 3rd in voting by the players and the media for Eastern backcourt.

Edited by 5fouls

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just can't believe that San Antonio is still winning with that lineup.  They were 19-2 at home and had won 14 straight at home.

Yeah Pop is the best, this game did involve a lineup switch up though, Parker off the bench. Spurs' starting group of Gasol, Aldridge, Anderson, Murray, Green is not exactly the Spurs best. Again though anytime you win in San Antonio is still good.

33 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah Pop is the best, this game did involve a lineup switch up though, Parker off the bench. Spurs' starting group of Gasol, Aldridge, Anderson, Murray, Green is not exactly the Spurs best. Again though anytime you win in San Antonio is still good.

That's not the Spurs best lineup for sure, but that's not exactly a bad lineup either. 

I'll preface this with saying I LOVE Myles Turner; I think the Pacers are better without him. Sabonis fits better with Vic and Al Jefferson is great in the second unit. He is still a great low post scorer. 

Perhaps the Pacers should bring Turner off the bench when he gets healthy. He could be the alpha dog if the second unit and they could play through him like they do Al.