NBA Thread

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Vic was not the one that threw the ball away, it was Bodnovich(sp)?

I didnt mean to suggest Vic threw it away, more that its extra disappointing he would have such a good game and Bogdanovic would throw it all away for us. If Pacers could close that one we'd have a collection of signature wins on the season.

7 games with either team seems very ambitious, but I bet we would make it a challenging series. I think Cleveland is the better matchup for the Pacers in all honestly, and usually the #1 rule for them is to avoid lebron at all costs.

I think this will be an interesting trade deadline as well, I'm sure the Pacers did not expect to be where they are in the season right now.

14 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

I didnt mean to suggest Vic threw it away, more that its extra disappointing he would have such a good game and Bogdanovic would throw it all away for us. If Pacers could close that one we'd have a collection of signature wins on the season.

My 4th grade team knows better than to throw that pass up 1 under 10 seconds.  Get fouled hit 2 free throws and get a stop.  

Worse case scenario throw the ball toward your own basket.  BTW which had 2 pacers wide open

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1

Just wanted to chime in and say I enjoyed that final sequence last night :D.

For real though, I'm still pretty stunned at how VO is playing. He's at an elite level right now. I always thought he could be good, but never thought this good. The Pacers are tough, I'd suspect as a young, untested team though they'd probably win 2 in a 7-game playoff series with Boston or Cleveland. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just wanted to chime in and say I enjoyed that final sequence last night :D.

For real though, I'm still pretty stunned at how VO is playing. He's at an elite level right now. I always thought he could be good, but never thought this good. The Pacers are tough, I'd suspect as a young, untested team though they'd probably win 2 in a 7-game playoff series with Boston or Cleveland. 

Winning 2 against either of those teams is a solid building block for such a young team.

As for Vic? What' not to love about that guy!?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Winning 2 against either of those teams is a solid building block for such a young team.

As for Vic? What' not to love about that guy!?

Absolutely! I would deem it a huge success for a young Pacers squad to win two games in the playoffs against either of those teams, especially if it was in the 2nd round, meaning they won a series first. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! I would deem it a huge success for a young Pacers squad to win two games in the playoffs against either of those teams, especially if it was in the 2nd round, meaning they won a series first. 

Totally agree. The question is could they win a first round series against a Milwaukee, Toronto or Washington? I'm not sure at this point. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Totally agree. The question is could they win a first round series against a Milwaukee, Toronto or Washington? I'm not sure at this point. 

They could, but I certainly wouldn't favor them against any of those teams. I could see them losing in 6 or 7 though, which I also think for a young team is a success. 

• Like 1

Vic is averaging 29.7 over his last 9 games. Hard to fathom the quantum leap he took this year after being in Westbrook's shadow last year.

On a side note, I find it interesting every time I watch him play is that he often doesn't look like fully engaged at points (I'm talking his body language and remaining in an athletic stance), but then he's able to be in the right spot at the right time on both ends because he so quick and explosive. Not sure I've seen a player do this quite like him and get away with it. Anybody else notice this?

Just now, JerseyHoosier said:

Vic is averaging 29.7 over his last 9 games. Hard to fathom the quantum leap he took this year after being in Westbrook's shadow last year.

On a side note, I find it interesting every time I watch him play is that he often doesn't look like fully engaged at points (I'm talking his body language and remaining in an athletic stance), but then he's able to be in the right spot at the right time on both ends because he so quick and explosive. Not sure I've seen a player do this quite like him and get away with it. Anybody else notice this?

I think he goes out of his way to defer to his teammates at times on the offensive end.  Important approach for team success.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think he goes out of his way to defer to his teammates at times on the offensive end.  Important approach for team success.

What I'm talking about isn't the body language of deference. If you didn't know better, you'd think he was disengaged or being lackadaisical, but that's obviously not the case being he always ends up where he's supposed to be. It's almost like he can react so quickly, he doesn't bother to even look ready to react until he does. I'm not sure this makes any sense! Ha.

I can't argue with the results of his approach, but I wouldn't use footage of him to show a young player how to play on the weak side on either end of the court. Not many players can pull off going from standing straight up looking disengaged to bolting like an antelope like he can! 

10 hours ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Many years ago IU had a player whose body language was not necessarily poor but was always out of pisition on defense. If i am correct he is one of the all times steals leader. His name Luke Recker.

I was watching defensive tape with Coach Norm Ellenberger and he would turn his back push stop and say Recker will be out of position. Every single time he was right.  His athletic ability and knack for the ball made up for it.  Luke and Knight went at it over his positioning. Luke would tell knight that if I were in the position you wanted me to be I would not have gotten the steal and Knight would fire back with several expletives and say and they would not have scored in the previous 4 possessions if you were in the right position.

Know it's not what you were saying but reminded me of a great story and Coach Ellenberger. 

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great story, Billingsley.  Were you a manager?

No I wanted to be but where Coach Ellenberger became close I was a soph and u had to be a freshman.   I was in Ellenberger basketball playing class and he likes how I played and he talked me into coaching as a career. For 3 years I went to practice most days and Coach would let me watch tape with him. People can say what they want about knight but his attention to detail was second to none he demanded perfection

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

No I wanted to be but where Coach Ellenberger became close I was a soph and u had to be a freshman.   I was in Ellenberger basketball playing class and he likes how I played and he talked me into coaching as a career. For 3 years I went to practice most days and Coach would let me watch tape with him. People can say what they want about knight but his attention to detail was second to none he demanded perfection

The only player on the present IU team that really understands positioning and shows it in games is McRoberts.

I was in elementary school when Coach Ellenberger was the high school coach at New Haven.  He was in charge of the Saturday morning basketball program for elementary school kids.  I remember that he never permitted pressing the other team.   I think he did that so we would learn the fundamentals in a half court game.   The press would favor more athletic kids, but no one would really learn the fundamentals.

36 minutes ago, slojoe said:

The only player on the present IU team that really understands positioning and shows it in games is McRoberts.

I was in elementary school when Coach Ellenberger was the high school coach at New Haven.  He was in charge of the Saturday morning basketball program for elementary school kids.  I remember that he never permitted pressing the other team.   I think he did that so we would learn the fundamentals in a half court game.   The press would favor more athletic kids, but no one would really learn the fundamentals.

Good point. We play in a 4th grade league that you can only press last min of game.   I hate pressing at this age for sure.  Not much positive for either team in my opinion

49 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good point. We play in a 4th grade league that you can only press last min of game.   I hate pressing at this age for sure.  Not much positive for either team in my opinion

Two things I hate most in youth basketball are when you're allowed to press and when you're allowed to play zone. Neither teach kids how to actually play basketball.