NBA Thread

@BGleas what is going on with Boston? Is it as simple as they can’t get that consistent 3rd scorer with Kemba up and down health wise? Do they like him that much? Gotta think they don’t want to waste another year...can they package him and/or the trade exception along with some young talent or picks to get a legit healthy third scorer? 

Just now, dgambill said:

@BGleas what is going on with Boston? Is it as simple as they can’t get that consistent 3rd scorer with Kemba up and down health wise? Do they like him that much? Gotta think they don’t want to waste another year...can they package him and/or the trade exception along with some young talent or picks to get a legit healthy third scorer? 

Celtics fans are pretty happy, to be honest. The team is playing really well, Tatum and Brown are both legit stars at this point. 

The problem has simply been continuity. They were first in the East then the team got hit with Covid. 

Right as Kemba was coming back Tatum got Covid, and all the bigs on the team had to quarantine because of contact tracing. 

Once all of those guys came back, then Marcus Smart went down. 

When everyone was healthy, Boston has the best record in the East. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I haven’t watched a ton of nba this year...but I couldn’t find a college game to watch and what I saw was pathetic. I’d be embarrassed to get paid to play with that little emotion and effort. Should give their game pay back.

The OSU and Iowa game was very good.  I saw that Dallas lost 147-116.  Can't imagine scoring 116 points and lose by 31

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Celtics fans are pretty happy, to be honest. The team is playing really well, Tatum and Brown are both legit stars at this point. 

The problem has simply been continuity. They were first in the East then the team got hit with Covid. 

Right as Kemba was coming back Tatum got Covid, and all the bigs on the team had to quarantine because of contact tracing. 

Once all of those guys came back, then Marcus Smart went down. 

When everyone was healthy, Boston has the best record in the East. 

Just saw they were 11-9 and lost 6 of last 10....yeah continuity has hurt several teams early on it seems. Guess I just never been a big Kemba fan in the nba. Early on the leading scorer on a bad team and then later his defense and size issues along with injuries. Just think it’s hard to count on him. Think you guys are an really good point guard away from the finals.

Maybe another 3pt shooter..but that should be easy to find at the trade deadline when everyone is giving away veteran shooters for second rd picks.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Man the Pacers are looking horrible tonight at home against the Pelicans.  Down 53-46 with 4 to go in the half.  They are 4-6 in the last 10 and already lost 5 home games

That will happen when your most explosive offensive player is out because of injury and you just traded your all star and the guy in return is on the IR too. They will be lucky to go 500 until they get those guys back...if they even do return this year.

• Like 1

Pacers lose 114-113 after trailing by as much as 18 points at 81-63.  The bench players played the last 15 minutes if the game except when Giga fouled out.  The bench played so we'll and they actually took a leaf late in the 4th quarter.  Pacers hit 10 3's in the 4th quarter and 20 for the game.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, IU Scott said:

The OSU and Iowa game was very good.  I saw that Dallas lost 147-116.  Can't imagine scoring 116 points and lose by 31

COVID is real pain.  NBA is getting their TV money so that seems all that matters with the aggressive 72 game schedule.    I'm sure the Mavs aren't only team with COVID issues but they have been really slammed hard.   Mavs had 5 main rotations (DFS, Richardson, Brunson, Powell, Kleber) playersout for 2-3 weeks and lost 6 in a row while playing a difficult stretch mostly while traveling on the road.  That GS game was 3rd in 4 nights coming off that stretch of games. They were clearly gassed..  Players are back but seem in preseason form while playing some that are in full strength though GS did not have Wiseman or Looney.  They got the W vs GS in the 2nd game and now have won 3 of 4 so they are getting there.  KP seems to need 10 games to get going and is now looking like KP from the bubble.  They have a nice stretch at home so hopefully get back on track. I'm optimistic but who knows. Their solid but not really a title type of team.  The bar to get to a 4/5 seed is not that far away at the moment. The key is to get a top 6 seed and avoid play in games. Hopefully, Luka gets a manufactured injury the last game before the All star break that needs a week to recover from.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:20 PM, dgambill said:

Is Dallas the worst defensive team in the NBA?? I hope so because what I just watched was pathetic. Can’t believe a Rick Carlisle team would play with that little energy.

They have bigger things to focus on

https://nypost.com/2021/02/09/mark-cubans-mavericks-wont-play-national-anthem-anymore/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Without you know who in the White House this will go unnoticed. He gave the nba/nfl viability on these issues to the masses. Most people don’t follow the nba.

It's a practice that will start spreading.  Would not be surprised to start hearing of some high school doing it within a week.  It will become a story beyond the Mavericks.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's a practice that will start spreading.  Would not be surprised to start hearing of some high school doing it within a week.  It will become a story beyond the Mavericks.  

Again without a polarizing figure tweeting about it...this White House won’t say a word...and a majority of media won’t care so this will certainly get traction and spread but the this won’t get covered imo. Wasn’t long ago nfl didn’t even play the national anthem...not sure about nba but I don’t think this will get nearly the coverage as kneeling got. Honestly I’m surprised this didn’t start sooner. Basically this takes away the controversy of protesting during the anthem...should upset the players as much as anyone since it violates their opportunity at “free speech”. 

Anyways I’m running away from this one...it will get political in here in a second and I don’t want to get kicked from the forum when IU is about to make a tournament run lol! 😝

Edited by dgambill

Actually before COVID the Mavs defense was actually rated in top 10. KP would of only helped  make it better. 

Cuban notified the commish about that anthem decision before practicing it.  Don't really see why the big deal.  Should the Mavs also play the National Anthems for the countries below?  I don't remember when they switched but before cuban they never played the National anthem but played God Bless america before games.

Dončić - Slovenia
Josh Green - Australia
Powell - Canada
Boban - Serbia
KP - Lithuania
Kleber - Germany

22 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Actually before COVID the Mavs defense was actually rated in top 10. KP would of only helped  make it better. 

Cuban notified the commish about that anthem decision before practicing it.  Don't really see why the big deal.  Should the Mavs also play the National Anthems for the countries below?  I don't remember when they switched but before cuban they never played the National anthem but played God Bless america before games.

Dončić - Slovenia
Josh Green - Australia
Powell - Canada
Boban - Serbia
KP - Lithuania
Kleber - Germany

If they did would all those guys kneel during their anthems...after all look at that list...all of those countries have horrible track records of discrimination and harm of minority/ethnic/religious groups. Might have to all wear knee pads because everyone would have knee burns from protesting. Honestly I think you are right...if the anthem is just going to be used as a political protest and to divide people...let’s just play it where it will get the respect it deserves.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Odd that Cuban consulted with Adam Silver before he stopped playing it, and apparently was allowed to do so.  Now, the league implies it is going to enforce it.  

Sounds odd timeline-wise. Yesterday he personally says they've decided to stop playing it after consulting with Silver, but not the Mavericks officially. They haven't played it all year up to this point. Did he consult with Silver before the season, before he made the announcement, or some other time? 

Cuban on Tuesday told ESPN that he had made the decision to stop playing the national anthem before home games after consulting with NBA commissioner Adam Silver. The Mavericks did not announce the change in policy, but the national anthem has not been played before any of their 13 preseason and regular-season games at the American Airlines Center this season.

7 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

Dončić - Slovenia
Josh Green - Australia
Powell - Canada
Boban - Serbia
KP - Lithuania
Kleber - Germany

That's what the Olympics are for....