NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe I am now but in the past I loved the NBA.  I remember the great game the Celtics and Hawks played where Bird and Wilkens went head to head in the 4th quarter of game 7.  Remember Jordan scoring 63 against the Celtics but still lost the game and the series.  Back then besides the Pavers I was a huge Lakers fan because of Magic and I stayed up and watched all of their playoff games.

To me with all sports one thing I find is that for me there might be to much on TV and it makes it feel less special.  When I was growing up and you only had 4 channels there were not that much sports on during the week.  It made those Sunday afternoon NBA games on CBS feel like they were special and it was a treat to get to watch them.  Back then you only got to watch the local teams most of the time and got very little national games especially during the regular season.

Believe me, I get it. I grew up on 80's NBA basketball. Only thing I'll say in response though, is what's the difference between Bird vs. "Nique in a 7-game series in the 80's and Curry vs. Durant in a 7-game WCF two years ago? In both cases you have HOF headliners and HOF supporting casts, and it was a fantastic series. I get not liking that Durant eventually went to G.S (I hated that too), but the basketball itself was fantastic.

The Celtics vs. LeBron (both Cle and Mia) were fantastic series' over the last 10 years. The Celtics won in 7 in '08, the Heat won in 7 in 2012 (I think),and they've faced off a couple other times. The Spurs-Heat Finals a couple years ago where Miami look finished with 30-seconds left in Game 6 and then remarkably came back to win in OT and then won Game 7. Then the following year the Spurs put an absolute basketball clinic on the Heat. 

This year has been a little lest dramatic outside of the Celtics-Bucks and Cavs-Pacers in the first round, but I'm telling you the playoffs have been fantastic the last 10 years or so. Since 2010 I think we've had 3 Finals go 7 games (off the top of my head: 2010 Celtics-Lakers, Spurs-Heat 2013 and Cavs-Warriors 2016).  

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I like watching the Pacers but I have probably not watched over a quarter of any game since the Pacers were eliminated.  I watched the last 5 minutes of the Celtics game last night.  I don't know what it is but for some reason I just don't enjoy watching the NBA like I use to and really don't know the reason why.  Maybe being a longtime Pacer fan and seeing how we have been screwed by the NBA for years.  I alo don't like how the players are pretty much getting together and deciding where they will play and making super teams.  It started with the kids going straight to the NBA and diluting the product as well as to many expansions that further diluted the product.

Those last 5 minutes were outstanding. Philly played great ball down the stretch to take the lead and Boston made unbelievable plays at the end to pull out the W with everything on the line! The defense and then Rozier's strip of "The Process" was fantastic, as were multiple plays over those 5 minutes. 

Like I said, I hear you on things to complain about in the NBA, and I have my own, and it's all about what any of us prefer, personally, but you agree that there are plenty of things in the college game -- UNC's dirty program and the NCAA's ineptitude, Coach Cal and his two vacated FF's running UK and building an NBA pipeline there (and of course UK is the most disciplined college program of all time), Louisville and Slick Rik, another winning program while using prostitutes etc. etc. etc. -- to be bothered with as well, right? I still enjoy college ball, along with the NBA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Those last 5 minutes were outstanding. Philly played great ball down the stretch to take the lead and Boston made unbelievable plays at the end to pull out the W with everything on the line! The defense and then Rozier's strip of "The Process" was fantastic, as were multiple plays over those 5 minutes. 

Like I said, I hear you on things to complain about in the NBA, and I have my own, and it's all about what any of us prefer, personally, but you agree that there are plenty of things in the college game -- UNC's dirty program and the NCAA's ineptitude, Coach Cal and his two vacated FF's running UK and building an NBA pipeline there (and of course UK is the most disciplined college program of all time), Louisville and Slick Rik, another winning program while using prostitutes etc. etc. etc. -- to be bothered with as well, right? I still enjoy college ball, along with the NBA.

How about Embid getting fouled at least once on one of those shots in the last 5 seconds.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe I am now but in the past I loved the NBA.  I remember the great game the Celtics and Hawks played where Bird and Wilkens went head to head in the 4th quarter of game 7.  Remember Jordan scoring 63 against the Celtics but still lost the game and the series.  Back then besides the Pavers I was a huge Lakers fan because of Magic and I stayed up and watched all of their playoff games.

To me with all sports one thing I find is that for me there might be to much on TV and it makes it feel less special.  When I was growing up and you only had 4 channels there were not that much sports on during the week.  It made those Sunday afternoon NBA games on CBS feel like they were special and it was a treat to get to watch them.  Back then you only got to watch the local teams most of the time and got very little national games especially during the regular season.

It also seemed more special because you were a child. We all romanticize our adolescent days; it's very normal. 

Everything you are saying is about your feelings and emotions; that's all fair but it does nothing to show the NBA is worse today. You certainly are entitled to feel how you want it's just not the basis for an argument. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Didn’t think so either, and he got flustered and was too tentative going up, then Rozier made a great strip play. R is turning into a heck of s player 

He’s really good. He would be a great fit alongside Oladipo in Indy. Will be interesting to see how the C’s handle Rozier and Smart, probably won’t be able to pay both. 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah I tend to think they'll lose one, that's a tough one. Smart does all those little things.

Smart’s a FA this offseason. One of those deals of who can you get at the most affordable rate and that they’ll happy behind Irving. I tend to think Rozier will want a shot to start at some point. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Smart’s a FA this offseason. One of those deals of who can you get at the most affordable rate and that they’ll happy behind Irving. I tend to think Rozier will want a shot to start at some point. 

You're probably right, and you certainly know your C's better than I do. I'm obviously not a C's fan, but I love how well they're playing as a group right now, that 4th quarter last night was outstanding, and they just don't quit. Both Rozier and Smart had great plays, whoever gets either gets minimally a really solid player. If the P's were to get Rozier, that would be a strong move. As good as the P's played this year (with Vic in), that group is missing a couple of pieces. Rozier, that would be interesting. 

Btw, just went back and checked, didn't realize Smart led the +/- at +10. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...on the surface, that looks like a strange decision.  I get the disappointment of getting swept by Cleveland, but wow...

Yeah, and more than on  the surface.

He improved their record in 6 if the past 7 years,  took them to the number 1 seed in the East and won more games this season, I believe, than Toronto had ever won. 

And he just won COY. 

Then they fire him. 

Might’ve in part been due to benching DeRozan, but probably more just because they got embarrassed, again, by LeBron. 

Msybe the plan is like what GS did when they fired Mark J, who built that team into which Kerr just stepped, and then got all the glory. Still seems stupid to me, but time will tell 

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Just saw that Toronto let Casey go! Wow, how is this going to impact OG? Maybe the stars are aligning and OG will land in Indy like we all hope!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/raptors-masai-ujiri-on-firing-dwane-casey-hardest-thing-ive-done-in-my-life-i-think-it-was-time/

The Pacers aren't going to get OG. The asking price for him would be ridiculously high and any pieces we have that would entice Toronto we aren't going to move. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The Pacers aren't going to get OG. The asking price for him would be ridiculously high and any pieces we have that would entice Toronto we aren't going to move. 

Which begs the question.......what does Toronto think his value his?

1 hour ago, rico said:

Which begs the question.......what does Toronto think his value his?

If you’re talking a trade for OG, you’re probably in the Sabonis and Turner for OG and a first round pick area. There would need to be filler for contracts to make the salaries match, etc so Toronto would probably have to throw in another player. Not sure which side says no, probably both. Indy would be giving up two rotation guys for one, while Toronto would be giving up a guy that is potentially a future great, and currently really good 3 and D guy. 

But again, as KoB said, the Pacers are not getting OG. If they did, it would be like 6-7 years from now after his second contract.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If you’re talking a trade for OG, you’re probably in the Sabonis and Turner for OG and a first round pick area. There would need to be filler for contracts to make the salaries match, etc so Toronto would probably have to throw in another player. Not sure which side says no, probably both. Indy would be giving up two rotation guys for one, while Toronto would be giving up a guy that is potentially a future great, and currently really good 3 and D guy. 

But again, as KoB said, the Pacers are not getting OG. If they did, it would be like 6-7 years from now after his second contract.  

Not at all talking a trade to the Pacers.  Just curious as to what the Raptors think his worth is.  Somehow I feel that those guys aren't happy about their coach getting fired.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This. Chalk that one up to experience and lost opportunity. OG would have to really drop performance-wise for a sustained period or have a serious injury to become affordable.  At that point, do the Pacers really want to take a chance?

We just need to acknowledge the missed opportunity and move on...ain't happening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rico said:

Not at all talking a trade to the Pacers.  Just curious as to what the Raptors think his worth is.  Somehow I feel that those guys aren't happy about their coach getting fired.

Even if that's true, they have control of OG for a very long time. He is probably the least likely person on their team to have a new home next season.

• Like 1

The only way OG would ever be moved this summer would be if Toronto packaged him with DeRozen in a deal for another super star. Not saying this would ever happen, but something like DeRozen, OG and picks for Kawai Leonard. Sometching like that. 

Hes on a rookie contract which is super team-friendly given his performance.