NBA Thread

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hmm, two guys headlining the C's run to the Finals and then one just goes to the bench. This is a Stevens' team and doubt he'd have trouble making it work, he has all the (well earned) respect of his team, but your thinking is a bit set in stone here, imo. These guys are flat out studs at this point, they are absolutely headliners, moving one to the bench can make that team really, really deep (e.g., Pop's use of Ginobli), but this was not contemplated, no way, not this soon, and doubt you'd find any Celtic front office guy who says it was.

1) Is my thinking more set in stone than yours?

2) You think that the Celtics thought they had all three of these guys locked up long term, and they wouldn't have an issue where they all three were high-level starters at some point? i agree it happened faster than expected, but this was absolutely the plan. 

Haha, HH, you're actually pretty accurate, I have been nursing a hangover all morning :).

On the Celtics roster situation one thing people quite often forget is that their starting lineup on opening night was Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford. So while nobody knew Tatum would be THIS good so soon, the plan has definitely been to play all three wings together. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Can't say this enough.  Love seeing all of the national "experts" (and frankly, quite a few knowledgeable posters in this forum) have a lot of egg on their face for calling this a great trade for OKC.  I can't think of a more lopsided trade from last season, frankly.  If you all have one, I'd love to hear what it was.

I definitely have egg on my face. I didn't expect Vic to be this good, and though Indy could have done better. I was wrong. 

On the best trade of the summer, I would throw in Ainge's trading the #1 pick for #3 (Tatum) and a future lottery pick into the running. Ainge absolutely fleeced Philly. 

Not saying it w as s necessarily better, but it's a worthy discussion. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Haha, HH, you're actually pretty accurate, I have been nursing a hangover all morning :).

On the Celtics roster situation one thing people quite often forget is that their starting lineup on opening night was Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford. So while nobody knew Tatum would be THIS good so soon, the plan has definitely been to play all three wings together. 

Ha! I knew it!

And you're right, I didn't remember that, that's pretty encouraging for your team. Amazing that they've developed this quickly to this level.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Ha! I knew it!

And you're right, I didn't remember that, that's pretty encouraging for your team. Amazing that they've developed this quickly to this level.

Definitely exciting times to be a C's fan! On Tatum, I think he'd be great NBA player no matter where he went, but do agree that being in such a stable org with such a great coach and some vets around him has definitely helped his growth and probably raises his ceiling. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Kinda funny seeing Vic on the 3rd team with PG.

Kind of cuts against the cutdowns of PG, lol.

Kidding aside, those defensive team picks were a joke. Even Gobert -- clearly one of the best defenders in the League, but he played only 50-some games. You should not get an award when you're not on the floor for a big part of the season, just silly. Same clearly goes for Butler (59 games). PG played/started in 79 this season.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Definitely exciting times to be a C's fan! On Tatum, I think he'd be great NBA player no matter where he went, but do agree that being in such a stable org with such a great coach and some vets around him has definitely helped his growth and probably raises his ceiling. 

Yes I don't mean to say I don't think he'd be really good, or maybe great, wherever, kid has some crazy skills, but if you put him in Atlanta, or on the Knicks (God forbid), I doubt he'd be anywhere near where he is now. Right environment, system, coach makes a big difference.

And yeah, must be nice to be a C's fan, lol. Btw, I went to the game against Chicago towards the end of the season, as I was in Boston and my high schooler really wanted to see a game. What a crowd. Playing against the lowly Bulls in a meaningless game, the arena was close to full and loud and supportive the full game. 

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes I don't mean to say I don't think he'd be really good, or maybe great, wherever, kid has some crazy skills, but if you put him in Atlanta, or on the Knicks (God forbid), I doubt he'd be anywhere near where he is now. Right environment, system, coach makes a big difference.

And yeah, must be nice to be a C's fan, lol. Btw, I went to the game against Chicago towards the end of the season, as I was in Boston and my high schooler really wanted to see a game. What a crowd. Playing against the lowly Bulls in a meaningless game, the arena was close to full and loud and supportive the full game. 

Absolutely, the situation you get drafted into plays a huge part in a players development. 

There's nothing like the TD Garden in the NBA. Actually a lot of similarities between IU fans and Celtics fans in terms of knowledge, support, etc. JJ Redick recently said Game 5 in Boston is the loudest arena he's ever played in, and this is a guy that played in 8 Duke-UNC games. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, the situation you get drafted into plays a huge part in a players development. 

There's nothing like the TD Garden in the NBA. Actually a lot of similarities between IU fans and Celtics fans in terms of knowledge, support, etc. JJ Redick recently said Game 5 in Boston is the loudest arena he's ever played in, and this is a guy that played in 8 Duke-UNC games. 

Wait, they play basketball in Boston?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah funny you say that, after years of Rockets games I had forgotten what real basketball fans sound like - refreshing 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think it's hard at all to imagine the Celts running out this lineup to close games next year;

Kyrie

Brown

Hayward

Tatum

Horford

Pacers need to hit a home run late in the draft.  Tj leafs anywhere in the first round and I might have to go back to being a Tim Duncan, Dirk nowitzki only fan again post the malice.