NBA Thread

30 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Why is that a big factor for you? That line of thinking is a silly macho man egotistical way of thinking that annoys me. He’s a grown man with his own life to lead. He owes nothing to anyone. Why does he have to force himself to be miserable and stick to a losing situation where he doesn’t like his coach or his teammates just to look like a competitor to you? Does anyone look happy with Westbrook? George, kd, melo, Ibaka, harden, oladipo? You wanna love in a city where there’s not much room for financial growth or live in the hotbed of growth that’s Silicon Valley? You wanna play on a team that’s not fun to play with or play with a team that could go down as the best that’s ever been and win 2-7 titles? There’s free agency for a reason. You don’t have to stay in a shitty situation just to look like a tough guy. That’s nonsense. It’s not a chickenshit move it’s logical, legal, and even admirable because he’ll be vilified when he shouldn’t be. Like I said to each there own and if that’s your line of thinking then fine but personally I think it’s extremely archaic. Respectfully disagree here of course.

@Hoosierhoopster

Only replying as you tagged me. I understand where you're coming from, and there's definitely an issue with playing with Westbrook. Harden left and became League MVP. Vic left and became an All Star. Westbrook really is something of an enigma, back to back triple double seasons, assists at a high level, but is nonetheless extremely ball dominant and has missed more shots than anyone, takes more shots I think than anyone, and dominates at the end of games and in key games instead of facilitating.

All that said, the problem with Durant is not that he left, it's that he joined the already ridiculously loaded Warriors because he could not beat them and wanted a ring. Listen to what Lillard said about that, and any number of other players -- but Lillard tends not to hold back. And asked if he would join the Warriors, Lillard: "Hell no." There are guys like Lillard, and then there are guys like Durant. Skill level here is irrelevant, it's the lame join the team that beat you that people, including myself, find disgusting. It's weak. It's also incredibly disrespectful to Oklahoma City, the fanbase, run to the team that just beat you.

Had he come back the next year and fought to beat GS -- you know, with the team that was 1 game away from doing that -- people would view him very differently. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rico said:

Scott, it is all subjective.  Like me, I feel sorry for those Celtics teams of the 80's.  The East was stacked.  The Lakers really didn't have any competition but they screwed up a few times.  The Bulls had no competition in the East save the Pacers.  The West was a shoot out.  

Bulls had the Pacers, Knicks and at one time Charlotte with Johnson and Mourning which had a good team.  After Riley went to the Heat they had a very competitive team as well.

54 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Only replying as you tagged me. I understand where you're coming from, and there's definitely an issue with playing with Westbrook. Harden left and became League MVP. Vic left and became an All Star. Westbrook really is something of an enigma, back to back triple double seasons, assists at a high level, but is nonetheless extremely ball dominant and has missed more shots than anyone, takes more shots I think than anyone, and dominates at the end of games and in key games instead of facilitating.

All that said, the problem with Durant is not that he left, it's that he joined the already ridiculously loaded Warriors because he could not beat them and wanted a ring. Listen to what Lillard said about that, and any number of other players -- but Lillard tends not to hold back. And asked if he would join the Warriors, Lillard: "Hell no." There are guys like Lillard, and then there are guys like Durant. Skill level here is irrelevant, it's the lame join the team that beat you that people, including myself, find disgusting. It's weak. It's also incredibly disrespectful to Oklahoma City, the fanbase, run to the team that just beat you.

Had he come back the next year and fought to beat GS -- you know, with the team that was 1 game away from doing that -- people would view him very differently. 

We’ve both said our pieces and I think we both have valid reasons for how we perceive Durant (obviously I loved the Lebron move to Miami when that happened). To each their own. I’ll say this though I can’t wait to watch Lilliard go absolutely nowhere for the rest of his career. Let’s see how far that ego takes ya pal.

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You have the IQ of a banana. 

Thank you for that fountain of information.  MJ was 6-0 in the finals and won them all handily.  None of them ever went 7 games.  It took 2 epic choke jobs and a Draymond Green suspension for Leb to win 2 of his and he had join to join his superfriends to win them.  The debate isn't even close.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheHerd/status/862404404338544640/video/1

Wanna talk about super friends? Google Michael Jordan record without pippen. (Its 1-9)

the year Jordan missed the bulls still should have won it all. Pippen averaged 22, 9, and 6 with 3 steals. Jordan had a B-B+ version of lebron his entire career..except when he didn’t and couldn’t win a game in the playoffs. But 6-0 right?

@dbmhoosier

Edited by ADegenerate
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Thank you for that fountain of information.  MJ was 6-0 in the finals and won them all handily.  None of them ever went 7 games.  It took 2 epic choke jobs and a Draymond Green suspension for Lebitch to win 2 of his and he had join to join his superfriends to win them.  The debate isn't even close.

By your own banana logic Bill Russell is the GOAT and it isnt even close. Your banana brain must have split because you said it was Jordan by a mile. Your arguments and logic have the consistency of a banana smoothie. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

By your own banana logic Bill Russell is the GOAT and it isnt even close. Your banana brain must have split because you said it was Jordan by a mile. Your arguments and logic have the consistency of a banana smoothie. 

Russel is in the top 10 and he is the best winner in basketball history.  The last time I checked the reason you play is to win so I would take winning as a big part in determining who is the best.  In the NFL Marino is the best pure passer I have every seen but that does not make him the best QB and one of the reasons is that Marino never won the championship.

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Really? Hes going to have three to five championships and probably be top three all time in points. Hard to say that's not top 30. 

It's like wide receivers in the NFL that play today vs 20 years ago. Rules today allow you to get away with so much more. Same goes for NBA. Points in today's game don't mean as much to me. 

4 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Why is that a big factor for you? That line of thinking is a silly macho man egotistical way of thinking that annoys me. He’s a grown man with his own life to lead. He owes nothing to anyone. Why does he have to force himself to be miserable and stick to a losing situation where he doesn’t like his coach or his teammates just to look like a competitor to you? Does anyone look happy with Westbrook? George, kd, melo, Ibaka, harden, oladipo? You wanna love in a city where there’s not much room for financial growth or live in the hotbed of growth that’s Silicon Valley? You wanna play on a team that’s not fun to play with or play with a team that could go down as the best that’s ever been and win 2-7 titles? There’s free agency for a reason. You don’t have to stay in a shitty situation just to look like a tough guy. That’s nonsense. It’s not a chickenshit move it’s logical, legal, and even admirable because he’ll be vilified when he shouldn’t be. Like I said to each there own and if that’s your line of thinking then fine but personally I think it’s extremely archaic. Respectfully disagree here of course.

@Hoosierhoopster

Spaces, paragraphs and whatever my man. I didn't say he was horrible. Ease up on the defensive nature...normal discourse but it seems you've been on attack mode lately. Enjoy the day!

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Russel is in the top 10 and he is the best winner in basketball history.  The last time I checked the reason you play is to win so I would take winning as a big part in determining who is the best.  In the NFL Marino is the best pure passer I have every seen but that does not make him the best QB and one of the reasons is that Marino never won the championship.

What in the world does this tantrum have to do with what I said?

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Spaces, paragraphs and whatever my man. I didn't say he was horrible. Ease up on the defensive nature...normal discourse but it seems you've been on attack mode lately. Enjoy the day!

Definitely wasn’t in attack mode. I just don’t buy into the hating on lebron and Durant. If I came off aggressive it’s because I have strong opinions in it. Anyway, we’re all Hoosiers here and if we disagree that’s great and we can talk about it. 

Im having a good day. I got all the yard work done and now it’s relaxtion mode. Hope you’re having a nice day.

• Like 2

Just now, ADegenerate said:

😛 I just think we’re right and you and 6 are saying I’m aggressive and senisitive because you can’t dispute my arguments.

scotts right though. 1a and 1b is the best way to look at it. 

I bet if you polled most NBA analysts the vast majority would still have MJ as the GOAT.  And I doubt that will change unless Lebron wins a couple more titles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Lebron is hardly one-dimensional like Marino.  Arguing MJ vs LBJ is legit.  Throwing Kobe, Russel, and other players into the argument is letting parsonal bias against LBJ cloud judgment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Definitely wasn’t in attack mode. I just don’t buy into the hating on lebron and Durant. If I came off aggressive it’s because I have strong opinions in it. Anyway, we’re all Hoosiers here and if we disagree that’s great and we can talk about it. 

Im having a good day. I got all the yard work done and now it’s relaxtion mode. Hope you’re having a nice day.

Just kidding on my part. I think Durant is phenomenal player. I just don't think top of all time. That's all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Lebron is hardly one-dimensional like Marino.  Arguing MJ vs LBJ is legit.  Throwing Kobe, Russel, and other players into the argument is letting parsonal bias against LBJ cloud judgment.

Was the spelling error on purpose? If it was it is one of the funniest things you've said. 

2 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I guess today's players just have a different mentality than they did back in the day.  Today it is more about playing with your friends and being buddies with everyone.  You would have never seen Magic and Isiah getting together and saying why don't we go to Boston and team up with Bird even though they were best friends.  With these guys playing summer ball together they become friends at an early age and you just don't have that hatred for your opponent.  Even though before the game Magic and Isiah gave each other hugs and kisses, once the game started they wanted to tear each others head off.

Edited by IU Scott