NBA Thread

Wasn't sure what was more confusing. The 7 or the 39 for a Stevens team. 7-39 from 3? Great win by Lebron and Cavs. Not sure what happens in Finals. 8 straight Finals is very impressive. Very similar to 4 straight Super Bowls for Bills.

PS....each year is a different animal but hats off to Stevens with this crew. Down Kyrie and Hayward and he had his team in the Finals if they make a few shots. I'll continue to pick Lebron (like this year) in the East as long as he plays but seems Celtics, Pacers are closing the gap.

What Stevens did this year reminds me of what Joe Maddon used to do with Rays considering talent discrepancy and payrol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Tatum is gonna be a special player.

"Tatum finished with 351 total points in 19 playoff appearances. That's the second-highest total in league history, falling just one point shy of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 352 points in 1970 (though then-Lew Alcindor did it in just 10 games). Tatum became the first rookie since Abdul-Jabbar to register 10 games of 20-plus points in a single postseason." http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23628250/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-respect-jayson-tatum-boston-celtics

Yep.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Just saying teams need more balance and if you can score at all 3 levels you will be harder to guard.

Yes of course. Teams in the 80s couldn't score at all three levels though and teams today can.

One bad game doesn't prove anything, it's much too small of a sample size. 

1.  I usually agree with you, my friend but I really, really like Lebron.  His competitiveness, smarts, leadership, etc. really win me over.  I like what he says publicly and I like the grace in which he wins.  I think he’s just a great person, at least his public persona which is all we can know.

2.  I liked that Celtics team and obviously love Stevens as a coach and Hoosier.  They were fun to watch.   Tatum is a phenom.  I like Brown a lot too.  Rozier was up and down but he was a revelation and I like the kid.  You like having him as a hedge when Kyrie is a 60 games a year player with his continual injury woes.   How the pieces fit together going forward will be interesting.  I have been in the camp that you don’t necessarily throw five guys out there who want their shots.   Smart is a good example with how many hustle plays he makes and his physical defense.  He will tip the ball to a teammate, keep a possession alive, and get you an extra shot.  In close, contested games, those extra hustle plays can make the difference between winning and losing.  I’m confident that Brad and Ainge will figure things out going forward.  

• Like 2

https://www.besttickets.com/blog/nba-shooting/

This is a good site to show how basketball stats has changed since 1980.  The number of 3 point shots has went drastically up as well as the percentages.  It also shows how the number of 2 point shots has went down as well as the number of free throw attempts.  What is funny though is the  number of points scored per game has went down about 10 points a game per team.  I know my definition of efficiency is different than todays new metrics but to me scoring is the most important thing when looking at offensive  output.  All I hear is how inefficient taking two point shots are but when teams shot more two point shots they still scored more points per game.  To me when you are hitting the 3's it makes your offense look good but like last night when you miss it looks terrible.  If teams rely on just shooting 3's it will come back to bite you.  

Yes teams shot less 3's in the 80's but that did not mean they could not hit them when they shot them. What teams back then could do is have a back up plan if they were not falling.  Some of the very best shooters came from the 80s when you look at total shooting percentage and not just base it on 3 point shooting.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

1.  I usually agree with you, my friend but I really, really like Lebron.  His competitiveness, smarts, leadership, etc. really win me over.  I like what he says publicly and I like the grace in which he wins.  I think he’s just a great person, at least his public persona which is all we can know.

2.  I liked that Celtics team and obviously love Stevens as a coach and Hoosier.  They were fun to watch.   Tatum is a phenom.  I like Brown a lot too.  Rozier was up and down but he was a revelation and I like the kid.  You like having him as a hedge when Kyrie is a 60 games a year player with his continual injury woes.   How the pieces fit together going forward will be interesting.  I have been in the camp that you don’t necessarily throw five guys out there who want their shots.   Smart is a good example with how many hustle plays he makes and his physical defense.  He will tip the ball to a teammate, keep a possession alive, and get you an extra shot.  In close, contested games, those extra hustle plays can make the difference between winning and losing.  I’m confident that Brad and Ainge will figure things out going forward.  

He is often classy and supportive of other players particularly the rising ones --

James sought out Tatum on the floor at TD Garden after the Cleveland Cavaliers' 87-79 Game 7 triumph on Sunday. Then James showered Boston's 20-year-old forward with praise at his postgame news conference.

"I just love everything about the kid, the way he plays the game, his demeanor, where he comes from," James said. "I just know he's built for stardom. He's built for success. And that's both on and off the floor." http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23628250/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-respect-jayson-tatum-boston-celtics

He said similar things about PG after their early playoff meeting with the P's. It's weird to think of him as one of the statesmen of the game, but he really is now.

His 'taking my talents to South Beach" comment and the perception that he whines to the refs (in fairness he gets fouled all the time, but he's so strong the refs often let it go, like with Shaq) and the way he formed that Heat team rub many the wrong way. He's annoyed me at times, but all in all he's one of the best of all time, if not the GOAT, and he doesn't have those off court issues (think MJ, pre-social media and Internet everywhere lucky for him), and he's a really strong voice for the League.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.besttickets.com/blog/nba-shooting/

This is a good site to show how basketball stats has changed since 1980.  The number of 3 point shots has went drastically up as well as the percentages.  It also shows how the number of 2 point shots has went down as well as the number of free throw attempts.  What is funny though is the  number of points scored per game has went down about 10 points a game per team.  I know my definition of efficiency is different than todays new metrics but to me scoring is the most important thing when looking at offensive  output.  All I hear is how inefficient taking two point shots are but when teams shot more two point shots they still scored more points per game.  To me when you are hitting the 3's it makes your offense look good but like last night when you miss it looks terrible.  If teams rely on just shooting 3's it will come back to bite you.  

Yes teams shot less 3's in the 80's but that did not mean they could not hit them when they shot them. What teams back then could do is have a back up plan if they were not falling.  Some of the very best shooters came from the 80s when you look at total shooting percentage and not just base it on 3 point shooting.

Interesting stats, but points per game is a terrible way to determine who had the best offense. Points per possession would be much more useful; this season was the second highest ever FYI. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting stats, but points per game is a terrible way to determine who had the best offense. Points per possession would be much more useful; this season was the second highest ever FYI. 

I couldn't care less about any of those stats.  All I care about is win/loss percentage, TO differential, Shooting percentages, defensive shooting percentages  Usually if you score more points than you score you will win the game and I don't need all of these new metrics to tell me why you won.  To me if you take good open looks I don't care if it is a layup, a 10 foot shot, a 15 foot shot or a 3. If you run your offense to get open looks you should hit a great percentage if you are a professional player.  I just see to many teams trying to shoot only 3's or layups and taking bad and contested shots causing your percentage to go down

• Like 1