NBA Thread

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

He hit Draymond in the face.

My bad I was talking the Thompson on Golden St. because he left the court early or was kicked out.  Actually I think Thompson of Cleveland was kicked out for going out nd using his elbow on the shooter.  The ref singed him out right after that play that caused the fight.

• Like 1

He was kicked out before the Draymond thing.  He allegedly flung an elbow high on Livingston.  On replay, it was very tame, nothing to even notice.  The ref overreacted and then the chaos ensued, all needless. 

As for JR Smith, if you would have told me the scenario and then asked me to guess which player it was, I would have said JR without hesitation.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He was kicked out before the Draymond thing.  He allegedly flung an elbow high on Livingston.  On replay, it was very tame, nothing to even notice.  The ref overreacted and then the chaos ensued, all needless. 

As for JR Smith, if you would have told me the scenario and then asked me to guess which player it was, I would have said JR without hesitation.  

I was taking about Klay Thompson of Golden St.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was taking about Klay Thompson of Golden St.

Ok, sorry, I saw your clarification after I wrote my post.  I didn’t think Klay was kicked out but maybe I was wrong.  

Maybe too much controversy, but it was a riveting game.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

Am I the only one who cannot stand the Warriors? They're a historically great team, but they're like a team that stacks their team playing pick-up then talks s*** to everyone. 

You've got four of the best players in the world, of course you're beating everyone. 

^^ I can't stand the Warriors. I don't include Draymond in the best players in the world discussion (he would not be anywhere near the player he is perceived to be if he were playing for, say, Phoenix, he benefits tremendously from being surrounded by superstars), but adding Durant was such a ridiculously unfair move. And LeBron almost single-handedly beat them anyway -- would have if Smith wasn't such an idiot.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I the only one who cannot stand the Warriors? They're a historically great team, but they're like a team that stacks their team playing pick-up then talks s*** to everyone. 

You've got four of the best players in the world, of course you're beating everyone. 

I can tolerate Curry. The rest? No thanks. Used to like Green but his act is tired. Never was a fan of Durant and he chose the easy way to titles....makes me dislike him more. And after last night I'm cheering against them even more. Unfortunately unless Lebron joins the Celtics (not happening) or someone or 2 join Cleveland we'll be having the same conversation a year from now.

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Why is winning two more titles important to being the greatest player ever? Why is it okay that Jordan has significantly fewer titles than Russell, but not okay that LBJ has fewer than MJ? 

Aside from titles, what do you think gives Jordan the edge as a better player than LeBron? 

It's an endless discussion. That said, I'm now at the point where I am swayed in favor of LeBron. MJ would not -- could not -- have carried this Cavs team (or the early Cavs teams) the way LeBron has. Then there's this, let's say MJ played in the West. Consider the several years when he couldn't get to the East Con Finals, losing to Detroit, etc. Had he been in the West, and makes the Finals, he wouldn't have 6 straight Finals wins, he would've lost, probably more than once. There are just so many variables when you try to compare their records head to head, or their accomplishments. MJ sure as hell never beat a team like that record-winning GS team in the Finals, and from down 1-3. MJ was incredible (couldnt' stand him either, but he was), but at this point considering him better than LeBron, with all the records he is setting, including in this year's playoffs, rings hollow. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I can tolerate Curry. The rest? No thanks. Used to like Green but his act is tired. Never was a fan of Durant and he chose the easy way to titles....makes me dislike him more. And after last night I'm cheering against them even more. Unfortunately unless Lebron joins the Celtics (not happening) or someone or 2 join Cleveland we'll be having the same conversation a year from now.

It's silly on my part, but the stupid mouth guard thing with Curry has me at the point where I can't stand him either. Both the throwing the mouth guard at people (now more than once) and the cocky way he chews on it half out of his mouth -- admittedly silly on my part, but I can't stand it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's silly on my part, but the stupid mouth guard thing with Curry has me at the point where I can't stand him either. Both the throwing the mouth guard at people (now more than once) and the cocky way he chews on it half out of his mouth -- admittedly silly on my part, but I can't stand it!

I've disliked players for worse reasons. Shoot Haarms from Purdue and him running his hands in his hair already have me not liking him and it's the off season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1.  Block or charge, I didn’t like that they changed the call with video.  He wasn’t in the restricted area.  On a judgement call, as opposed to an objective call, it’s not logical to me to change it.  An objective call would be, the ball goes out of bounds and you can see who touched it last.  That’s where you make the change.  But, a subjective block/charge, c’mon man.   

2.  George Hill has to hit that free throw. That’s the dream scenario we all did in our driveway.  Down one in the finals and you gotta drain two free throws.  

3.   Golden State plays beautiful basketball but I could do without all their smirking and chirping.  Lebron owned them. 

4.  Lebron plays with the biggest band of ragamuffins you can find.  That ragtag group wins, what, 15 games without him?  

5.  I’d love to see Lebron find his way onto San Antonio.  I don’t know if SA can make it happen.  But that would be fun.   I’m not high on Houston at all.  Paul and Harden are stats guys.  They have no clue how to win when it matters.  Lebron could bail them out if he went there, I suppose, but I’d rather see him in SA where they play great ball.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

1.  Block or charge, I didn’t like that they changed the call with video.  He wasn’t in the restricted area.  On a judgement call, as opposed to an objective call, it’s not logical to me to change it.  An objective call would be, the ball goes out of bounds and you can see who touched it last.  That’s where you make the change.  But, a subjective block/charge, c’mon man.   

2.  George Hill has to hit that free throw. That’s the dream scenario we all did in our driveway.  Down one in the finals and you gotta drain two free throws.  

3.   Golden State plays beautiful basketball but I could do without all their smirking and chirping.  Lebron owned them. 

4.  Lebron plays with the biggest band of ragamuffins you can find.  That ragtag group wins, what, 15 games without him?  

5.  I’d love to see Lebron find his way onto San Antonio.  I don’t know if SA can make it happen.  But that would be fun.   I’m not high on Houston at all.  Paul and Harden are stats guys.  They have no clue how to win when it matters.  Lebron could bail them out if he went there, I suppose, but I’d rather see him in SA where they play great ball.  

Agree with all of this, except the CP3 thing. Great post. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, KoB2011 said:

Why is winning two more titles important to being the greatest player ever? Why is it okay that Jordan has significantly fewer titles than Russell, but not okay that LBJ has fewer than MJ? 

Aside from titles, what do you think gives Jordan the edge as a better player than LeBron? 

Defense, MJ was a stud defender, LJ is average  at best.

1 hour ago, Sapperin LA said:

Defense, MJ was a stud defender, LJ is average  at best.

That's an incredibly ridiculous take. They are both great defenders. Jordan was probably more consistent there, but he had better guys around him to help. 

Lebron already has more career defensive win shares and his best single season is better. I won't say Lebron is a better defender, though I am not sure how one would score on him if he could hand check like Jordan could, but LBJ is without question the more versatile defender. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 2:23 PM, KoB2011 said:

I am rooting for Cleveland as if I am a Cavs fan.  And, I'm not a Cavs fan.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That's an incredibly ridiculous take. They are both great defenders. Jordan was probably more consistent there, but he had better guys around him to help. 

Lebron already has more career defensive win shares and his best single season is better. I won't say Lebron is a better defender, though I am not sure how one would score on him if he could hand check like Jordan could, but LBJ is without question the more versatile defender. 

Jordan was a good defender, no doubt.  Lebron can cover 1-5.  Lebron also plays the most strategic ball I’ve ever seen, like a chess master.  Lebron’s end game is winning the game.  He gets there in a variety of ways, including the way he considers defense.  

When Jordan had nonsense around him, he scored a lot, but did not win anything of consequence.  Lebron is winning with less than mediocrity around him.  

I have been watching NBA basketball since the mid 70s.  I’d say the 90’s was the weakest level of ball in that span.  Jordan’s Bulls beat literally no other team of consequence.  That Knicks team? Meh.  They were too limited.  Riley did what he could but they were not a dynamic team at all.  Portland?  No one is going to argue for them.  I liked the Phoenix team with Chuck and Majerle and Hornacek but these are not epic teams we are talking about.  The Houston teams that won in that era were good because Hakeem was tremendous and an amazing athlete at his size, but again, they were not historic.  

The other eras had better teams.  The late 70s had a great Portland team that played great team ball.  The 80s were ridiculous.  That showtime Lakers team was crazy.  The Celtics and Sixers were great.  The 2000s, we’ve had Lebron.  The 90s to me were the dark days of pro basketball.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Jordan was a good defender, no doubt.  Lebron can cover 1-5.  Lebron also plays the most strategic ball I’ve ever seen, like a chess master.  Lebron’s end game is winning the game.  He gets there in a variety of ways, including the way he considers defense.  

When Jordan had nonsense around him, he scored a lot, but did not win anything of consequence.  Lebron is winning with less than mediocrity around him.  

I have been watching NBA basketball since the mid 70s.  I’d say the 90’s was the weakest level of ball in that span.  Jordan’s Bulls beat literally no other team of consequence.  That Knicks team? Meh.  They were too limited.  Riley did what he could but they were not a dynamic team at all.  Portland?  No one is going to argue for them.  I liked the Phoenix team with Chuck and Majerle and Hornacek but these are not epic teams we are talking about.  The Houston teams that won in that era were good because Hakeem was tremendous and an amazing athlete at his size, but again, they were not historic.  

The other eras had better teams.  The late 70s had a great Portland team that played great team ball.  The 80s were ridiculous.  That showtime Lakers team was crazy.  The Celtics and Sixers were great.  The 2000s, we’ve had Lebron.  The 90s to me were the dark days of pro basketball.  

To me the only team that Lebron had to face that was better than any team the Jordan had to face is the Warriors.  I would take Portland, Seattle, Utah and Phoenix over any team in this era except for the Warriors.  In the east the Pistons,  Pacers, Knicks and Miami after Riley went there are better than most of the teams in this era.

Edited by IU Scott

I don’t think any of the teams you’re describing are championship caliber teams.  Just as an example, Utah had two great players.  They’d be like OK City when they had Durant and Westbrook or Houston now.   Respected teams that could win, yet teams that aren’t getting championships.  In the 2000s, we have had the Duncan-Pop teams (reminiscent of that 70s Portland team that played great team ball, albeit for a staggeringly long lifespan), and the Lakers squads with Shaq and Kobe.  The Heat.  The Warriors.  It’s more competitive but the level of play is better and more fun.  

There are really good teams, and there are memorable, championship teams.  Jordan’s Bulls teams were great, but the league as a whole didn’t have any Frazier’s to battle Ali.  I like Jordan and put him on a pedestal as a player.  But, let’s not pretend he was ever dealing with the obstacles Lebron has.   

And as a person, you’ve got a gambler and womanizer, at his bestva corporate pitchman...as opposed to a civic leader.  Lebron has earned my respect.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t think any of the teams you’re describing are championship caliber teams.  Just as an example, Utah had two great players.  They’d be like OK City when they had Durant and Westbrook or Houston now.   Respected teams that could win, yet teams that aren’t getting championships.  In the 2000s, we have had the Duncan-Pop teams (reminiscent of that 70s Portland team that played great team ball, albeit for a staggeringly long lifespan), and the Lakers squads with Shaq and Kobe.  The Heat.  The Warriors.  It’s more competitive but the level of play is better and more fun.  

There are really good teams, and there are memorable, championship teams.  Jordan’s Bulls teams were great, but the league as a whole didn’t have any Frazier’s to battle Ali.  I like Jordan and put him on a pedestal as a player.  But, let’s not pretend he was ever dealing with the obstacles Lebron has.   

And as a person, you’ve got a gambler and womanizer, at his bestva corporate pitchman...as opposed to a civic leader.  Lebron has earned my respect.  

I just disagree with you because I think the competition that MJ went through is far better than what Lebron went through.  The Warriors and whatever team Lebron is on are the only two great teams in this era.  Also remember when Jordan frir started he had to deal with the Celtics of the mid 80's which were one of the best teams of all time.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me the only team that Lebron had to face that was better than any team the Jordan had to face is the Warriors.  I would take Portland, Seattle, Utah and Phoenix over any team in this era except for the Warriors.  In the east the Pistons,  Pacers, Knicks and Miami after Riley went there are better than most of the teams in this era.

Those spurs team would beat every team Jordan beat handily IMO. 

• Like 1