Everything NIT

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Skipping a meaningless tournament to focus on preparing for something that actually matters.  Fact of the matter is these kids are too good for the NIT.  I have a lot of respect for Romeo’s decision to keep playing, but I wouldn’t have blamed him at all if he had decided to sit. 

So as professionals, it'd be ok for them just to pack it in 3/4s of the way through a losing season? They're not going to win a championship, so may as well prepare for something that "actually matters". 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Skipping a meaningless tournament to focus on preparing for something that actually matters.  Fact of the matter is these kids are too good for the NIT.  I have a lot of respect for Romeo’s decision to keep playing, but I wouldn’t have blamed him at all if he had decided to sit.

To me you are on scholarship to play every game and the NIT is part of that.  He is quitting on his team and no way I would draft a guy like that.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

So as professionals, it'd be ok for them just to pack it in 3/4s of the way through a losing season? They're not going to win a championship, so may as well prepare for something that "actually matters". 

Apples to oranges.  There is no consolation bracket in the NBA, you either make the playoffs or you don’t.  IU was 3/4ths of the way through a losing season, Romeo and the rest of the team tried to get it together, and they missed the playoffs.  The season’s over, so yeah, I don’t see anything wrong with packing it in at this point.

And even assuming your analogy is correct, every NBA team actually does pack it in 3/4ths of the way through a losing season, so that shouldn’t be much of an issue for them, lol

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Apples to oranges.  There is no consolation bracket in the NBA, you either make the playoffs or you don’t.  IU was 3/4ths of the way through a losing season, Romeo and the rest of the team tried to get it together, and they missed the playoffs.  The season’s over, so yeah, I don’t see anything wrong with packing it in at this point.

And even assuming your analogy is correct, every NBA team actually does pack it in 3/4ths of the way through a losing season, so that shouldn’t be much of an issue for them, lol

Agree to disagree, I guess.  Not playing in a game to prepare for the draft isn't a move I'd suggest. 

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I take big issues when teams sit players just to rest them.  If they are injured fine but if you are healthy then you should be obligated to play in the game.  To me I would make him pay back this semester tuition since he did not finish his season.  I guess I just don't understand todays athletes and their thinking or motivation because no way in the world would you have seen this 20 years ago.

16 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No bleeping way I would draft that kid if I am a GM.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me you are on scholarship to play every game and the NIT is part of that.  He is quitting on his team and no way I would draft a guy like that.

Yeah, judging by all the comments I’ve seen about the NBA draft process on the various IU boards over the years, the vast majority of Hoosier fans would make for absolutely terrible NBA GMs.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, judging by all the comments I’ve seen about the NBA draft process on the various IU boards over the years, the vast majority of Hoosier fans would make for absolutely terrible NBA GMs.

Just look at Leonard Fournette and I said the same thing when he skipped his bowl game.  So far in his career I would have been right not to draft that guy.  He has missed a lot of games where people have questioned if he was actually injured.  He has showed a lot of immaturity where he has not been a good teammate and had the fight that got him suspended.  Give me a guy who goes out and plays and that cares about his teammates and just doesn't play for himself.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I knew that drafting Michael Olowakandi 1st overall was a terrible idea.  Does that at least get me into the top 50%?

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just look at Leonard Fournette and I said the same thing when he skipped his bowl game.  So far in his career I would have been right not to draft that guy.  He has missed a lot of games where people have questioned if he was actually injured.  He has showed a lot of immaturity where he has not been a good teammate and had the fight that got him suspended.  Give me a guy who goes out and plays and that cares about his teammates and just doesn't play for himself.

You know what Scott, when you’re right, you’re right.  Picking Leonard Fournette in the NBA draft would’ve been a terrible idea.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agreed, particularly looking at the quotes you shared and some of the other comments. The idea that a lottery draft pick would be helped by another year in college is flawed in a number of ways. Additionally, if you're sitting on a million dollar lottery ticket that could set your family up for life, skipping an NIT tournament game isn't some sort of insult to the school or the fans, it's a smart move, particularly if you come from a family struggling to make ends meet. 

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I knew that drafting Michael Olowakandi 1st overall was a terrible idea.  Does that at least get me into the top 50%?

You can vault into the top 1% if you know the right answer to this question: Who was a better draft pick, Dennis Rodman or Damon Bailey?

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Agreed, particularly looking at the quotes you shared and some of the other comments. The idea that a lottery draft pick would be helped by another year in college is flawed in a number of ways. Additionally, if you're sitting on a million dollar lottery ticket that could set your family up for life, skipping an NIT tournament game isn't some sort of insult to the school or the fans, it's a smart move, particularly if you come from a family struggling to make ends meet. 

To me people have flawed thinking when you make all of your major decisions on money because most of the time it won't end well.  You should make your decision on whether it will make you happy and content and most of the time if you think money will give you that then you will be disappointed.  When making major decisions you should pray and think what will make you the happiest and not the richest.  Just like if you are making $45,000 a year and someone offers you $60,000 and a promotions.  If all you think about is the raise and just go ahead and take it a lot of times it will come back to haunt you.  The first thing you need to look at is whether this job will make you happy and content and will you like who you are working for.  Will you like who are  working with and whether you get along with co workers.  You should look at if you have to move your family and that you will like to work in the City you are moving to.

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Or, you could drop out of school altogether.  True, he was injured and not going to play again.  So it's sort of different.  But still. 

From way back in January:

"Vanderbilt’s Darius Garland withdraws from school to focus on NBA draft"

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me people have flawed thinking when you make all of your major decisions on money because most of the time it won't end well.  You should make your decision on whether it will make you happy and content and most of the time if you think money will give you that then you will be disappointed.  When making major decisions you should pray and think what will make you the happiest and not the richest.  Just like if you are making $45,000 a year and someone offers you $60,000 and a promotions.  If all you think about is the raise and just go ahead and take it a lot of times it will come back to haunt you.  The first thing you need to look at is whether this job will make you happy and content and will you like who you are working for.  Will you like who are  working with and whether you get along with co workers.  You should look at if you have to move your family and that you will like to work in the City you are moving to.

No one said anything about making all decisions based on money. This is one decision, a life changing one that could set not just the player, but his entire family up for life. We're not talking about $15k, we're talking about millions of dollars, enough that you'd never have to work again in your life.

The NIT is a meaningless tournament. Other than a bit of extra income for the school, it means absolutely nothing. A lottery pick player's stock isn't going to change based on how they play in the NIT, but it certainly will if they get injured. The risk/reward just isn't there in this instance. 

11 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

No one said anything about making all decisions based on money. This is one decision, a life changing one that could set not just the player, but his entire family up for life. We're not talking about $15k, we're talking about millions of dollars, enough that you'd never have to work again in your life.

The NIT is a meaningless tournament. Other than a bit of extra income for the school, it means absolutely nothing. A lottery pick player's stock isn't going to change based on how they play in the NIT, but it certainly will if they get injured. The risk/reward just isn't there in this instance. 

I don't care how much money you are making you still should not make that decision just because of money.  You should make it if you  like playing college basketball and you are happy in college.  You should make that decision on whether you think you are mature enough to handle the NBA lifestyle.  The NBA money is not going anywhere so if you are happy playing college basketball and enjoy being around your teammates then stay until you think you are actually ready to play in the NBA.

24 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Or, you could drop out of school altogether.  True, he was injured and not going to play again.  So it's sort of different.  But still. 

From way back in January:

"Vanderbilt’s Darius Garland withdraws from school to focus on NBA draft"

Well, he always has that Vandy education to fall back on

Archived