March Madness thread

rico

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They "won" because of completely blown or ignored calls. Some people want to keep talking about that, which is understandable.

That's the thing. I cringe when people just say it's part of the game. Two calls in the final 15 seconds....especially calls that are a point of emphasis and reviewable (hook and hold) that were blown is worth of discussion. Add Duke getting the benefit. It will be talked about all day today, tomorrow and probably until tip on Thursday nationally. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. I cringe when people just say it's part of the game. Two calls in the final 15 seconds....especially calls that are a point of emphasis and reviewable (hook and hold) that were blown is worth of discussion. Add Duke getting the benefit. It will be talked about all day today, tomorrow and probably until tip on Thursday nationally. 

Agree. It minimally raises the question of "why?" The blown calls were key and obvious, which at the end of the day is a shame.

It is going to be discussed because it is Duke, and like it or not, Duke moves the needle.

Ironically, the discussion on the end of the Duke game totally overshadows any discussion of the fact that the kid from LSU took a stroll down the lane before making the game winner over Maryland on Saturday. Again, Duke moves the needle and no one outside of Louisiana and Maryland probably cares about the end of that game.

We are on a message board, designed for the purpose of discussing basketball. See nothing wrong in continuing this conversation, as there is a lull now. 

As long as we're mentioning blown calls, Tacko should have fouled out a few plays before any of those bad calls at the end happened. I mean, I hate Duke as much as anyone, but there were missed calls in both directions. It was also pretty dumb for Tacko to commit his fifth foul when you're up by 3 and Zion is driving the lane, and let's not forget the missed alley oop well before that, too. Duke didn't win because of the officials, they won because they played smarter down the stretch.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It is going to be discussed because it is Duke, and like it or not, Duke moves the needle.

Ironically, the discussion on the end of the Duke game totally overshadows any discussion of the fact that the kid from LSU took a stroll down the lane before making the game winner over Maryland on Saturday. Again, Duke moves the needle and no one outside of Louisiana and Maryland probably cares about the end of that game.

We are on a message board, designed for the purpose of discussing basketball. See nothing wrong in continuing this conversation, as there is a lull now. 

Go Liberty!!!

To much chalk and to being blowouts in this tournament for me.  Off the top of my head we have had only 3 games come down to the last possession, Auburn/New MEX. St, Duke/UCF and LSU and Maryland so not really true buzzer beaters.  Also for the sweet 16 we have a 5 and a 12 and the res tis chalk so to me it has not been a really  exciting tournament.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Go Liberty!!!

Yeah, not happy that there is not one Cinderella story left in the tournament. Liberty played decently for awhile, but eventually caved. I thought UC Irvine would have a chance against Oregon, but they couldn't do it either.

Not sure who to root for now. If I am staying allegiant to the B1G, Michigan is the only team I can root for, in good conscience. I would like to see Tony Bennett have his day in the sun.

No one else really matters to me.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To much chalk and to being blowouts in this tournament for me.  Off the top of my head we have had only 3 games come down to the last possession, Auburn/New MEX. St, Duke/UCF and LSU and Maryland so not really true buzzer beaters.  Also for the sweet 16 we have a 5 and a 12 and the res tis chalk so to me it has not been a really  exciting tournament.

Iowa/TN got close there at the end.  But yeah I don't remember the last time the top 12 teams all made the sweet 16.  Feels like it hasn't happened in awhile.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Iowa/TN got close there at the end.  But yeah I don't remember the last time the top 12 teams all made the sweet 16.  Feels like it hasn't happened in awhile.

The Vols have played two inferior opponents.  In both they had very comfortable leads only to squander them away.  I don't know what to make of them.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

The Vols have played two inferior opponents.  In both they had very comfortable leads only to squander them away.  I don't know what to make of them.

Purdue played them beginning of last season and lost by 3 in OT.  Our team obviously is quite different but they have a lot of those same players from that team.  I expect a close game on Thursday and hopefully Purdue will prevail.

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Purdue played them beginning of last season and lost by 3 in OT.  Our team obviously is quite different but they have a lot of those same players from that team.  I expect a close game on Thursday and hopefully Purdue will prevail.

Haarms better bring his "A" game.

31 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Or the travel by Tennessee player vs Iowa too. 

17 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here's the thing I would be looking at as I'm sure most Purdue fans are. Size/strength of UT's guards who will be bumping CE all day long. Will the officials allow it? 

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If Purdue can find guys to guard Williams and Scholfeld then they will have a good chance.  I am wondering if Eastern and Eifert can guard them and keep them off the boards.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If Purdue can find guys to guard Williams and Scholfeld then they will have a good chance.  I am wondering if Eastern and Eifert can guard them and keep them off the boards.

Easier said than done. Those guys are studs. I feel like Eastern will likely guard Schofield but might guard Williams some too. 

Either way, Purdue has played good basketball.  I'm not a fan by any stretch of the imagination -- quite the opposite-- but I can accept that they played good team ball this season.  And Painter has done a nice job fitting the pieces together.  You can't take that away from him.  Grady Eifert has been a revelation.  He's a fun guy to root for, I am sure.  

28 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Either way, Purdue has played good basketball.  I'm not a fan by any stretch of the imagination -- quite the opposite-- but I can accept that they played good team ball this season.  And Painter has done a nice job fitting the pieces together.  You can't take that away from him.  Grady Eifert has been a revelation.  He's a fun guy to root for, I am sure.  

In my opinion, this is Painter's finest coaching job since he's been at Purdue.  The sum is greater than the parts scenario. 

Agree re Eifert.  And it's funny because going into the year, I'd guess 99% of the fanbase wanted Wheeler to start over Eifert because of his potential.  A lot of them significantly underrated Eifert (myself included).

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

In my opinion, this is Painter's finest coaching job since he's been at Purdue.  The sum is greater than the parts scenario. 

Agree re Eifert.  And it's funny because going into the year, I'd guess 99% of the fanbase wanted Wheeler to start over Eifert because of his potential.  A lot of them significantly underrated Eifert (myself included).

I think Eifert is a lot like McRoberts for us because they do the little things to help win games.  If McRoberts could have been totally healthily all year I think we would have been in the tournament.

4 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

As long as we're mentioning blown calls, Tacko should have fouled out a few plays before any of those bad calls at the end happened. I mean, I hate Duke as much as anyone, but there were missed calls in both directions. It was also pretty dumb for Tacko to commit his fifth foul when you're up by 3 and Zion is driving the lane, and let's not forget the missed alley oop well before that, too. Duke didn't win because of the officials, they won because they played smarter down the stretch.

What was the dumb play UCF made? If you say the alley oop was dumb please just stop watching modern basketball. It was wide open and hit the guy in his hands; he can drop that just as easy as a bounce pass. There was nothing dumb about that play. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

What was the dumb play UCF made? If you say the alley oop was dumb please just stop watching modern basketball. It was wide open and hit the guy in his hands; he can drop that just as easy as a bounce pass. There was nothing dumb about that play. 

Maybe not dumb but just make the routine play instead of trying the sportscenter top play.  So modern basketball is suppose to be about entertainment over winning because that is what is sounds like.  Dawkins should have worried more about catching the ball instead of trying to dunk it.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think Eifert is a lot like McRoberts for us because they do the little things to help win games.  If McRoberts could have been totally healthily all year I think we would have been in the tournament.

Eifert shoots...

Archived