Luke Goode (2021) Commits to Illinois

12 hours ago, DC2345 said:

The offer is likely coming soon. He’s wanted an IU offer for a while.

I've only been able to watch videos online and talk with friends back home in Fort Wayne,  but I'd love to hear some thoughts and projections on his potential as a college player.

First, I love the fact that he is a successful quarterback.   You have to be a tough, competitive,  athletic leader to make that happen.  Especially at a large school like Homestead.  I get that he is not rated as highly as Dane Fife, but that's the former Hoosier that comes to mind.

Second, if the above assumptions are correct, you add to the fact that he is a sharpshooter,  and it seems like a no brainer.  Give me a competitor that wants to go on the road and silence the crowd with a dagger three, then shut down an opposing scorer on defense.  Be interested to know if any of this is close to how he projects from those that have seen him.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I've only been able to watch videos online and talk with friends back home in Fort Wayne,  but I'd love to hear some thoughts and projections on his potential as a college player.

First, I love the fact that he is a successful quarterback.   You have to be a tough, competitive,  athletic leader to make that happen.  Especially at a large school like Homestead.  I get that he is not rated as highly as Dane Fife, but that's the former Hoosier that comes to mind.

Second, if the above assumptions are correct, you add to the fact that he is a sharpshooter,  and it seems like a no brainer.  Give me a competitor that wants to go on the road and silence the crowd with a dagger three, then shut down an opposing scorer on defense.  Be interested to know if any of this is close to how he projects from those that have seen him.

Is he a sharpshooter though? He’s only shooting like 31% from 3

3 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

That's a great question I unfortunately can't answer. Hope to hear some other thoughts.  Much can go into a shooting percentage including level of competition,  how he is used, the type of defenses he faces, and ability of other teammates just to name a few. 

His stroke looks pretty smooth to me, and he appears to be very confident.  Looking forward to hearing more about him.

11 hours ago, HoosierKix said:

Yes. The problem is when you are the focal point of the offense you have to create shots and force shots that won’t be asked if him to take in college. That will bring your percentage down.

Looking at his stats.  He is a career 34% shooter from three. The fact he was 38% as a freshman on significant volume tells me he can shoot.  I would assume the increased focus by opposing defenses, and being asked to do more, has caused a drop in percentage.  The ability is there.  Saw he shot well last summer when he played up a year.

We wouldn't need him to be a focal point and ask him to create very often.  The question is, can he hit open looks from deep on kickouts from the post or drive and dishes, and also coming off screens.  Lander and a healthy Rob can really help with this.  Additionally,  our offense has created open looks, we just don't have guys that can hit them at a respectable rate.

Screenshot_20200229-091348_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Looking at his stats.  He is a career 34% shooter from three. The fact he was 38% as a freshman on significant volume tells me he can shoot.  I would assume the increased focus by opposing defenses, and being asked to do more, has caused a drop in percentage.  The ability is there.  Saw he shot well last summer when he played up a year.

We wouldn't need him to be a focal point and ask him to create very often.  The question is, can he hit open looks from deep on kickouts from the post or drive and dishes, and also coming off screens.  Lander and a healthy Rob can really help with this.  Additionally,  our offense has created open looks, we just don't have guys that can hit them at a respectable rate.

Screenshot_20200229-091348_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks but these are not the numbers of a deadeye shooter.  They are great for a fresh and soph.  Sure he's probably getting face guarded for 90 feet.  The Blackmons do too and hit much higher than that.  JBJR.  47% as a senior hitting over 4 a game.  I watched him hav3 a guy in his shirt for 90 feet still put up the easiest 38 I've ever seen a high school player do.  Shooters have an ability to hit shots like they aren't even trying.  Ryan Cline shot 45% on 180 shots his senior year(through sectional).  

These are shooters.  30% and being hopeful he's going to stretch the floor at IU is just wishful thinking.  I'm not against the kid, just saying, that's reality.   

3 hours ago, DocHoosier said:

The thing is Goode wouldn’t need to be a 16 PPG scorer for IU. His value would be a knockdown three point shooter which would help space the floor. With the current (and potential) pieces, I think he would be a seamless fit. Hope we offer soon

I wonder if he would be a Nick Z. Type of player? If so that would be hugeee

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Thanks but these are not the numbers of a deadeye shooter.  They are great for a fresh and soph.  Sure he's probably getting face guarded for 90 feet.  The Blackmons do too and hit much higher than that.  JBJR.  47% as a senior hitting over 4 a game.  I watched him hav3 a guy in his shirt for 90 feet still put up the easiest 38 I've ever seen a high school player do.  Shooters have an ability to hit shots like they aren't even trying.  Ryan Cline shot 45% on 180 shots his senior year(through sectional).  

These are shooters.  30% and being hopeful he's going to stretch the floor at IU is just wishful thinking.  I'm not against the kid, just saying, that's reality.   

Can't disagree  30% is awfully low for a shooter, and that's why I posted the stats and asked what those that have watched him play live think.  His stroke and release just look awfully good. 

He had a tournament where he played up in the EYBL last summer and shot 38%.  It'll be interesting to see how this summer and next year provide more opportunities to show if the number is closer to 38% or 30%. Of course, his college decision will have been made by that point, so it's up to our coaching staff to project what kind of shooter he will be in college. I'd love for him to be a feared sharpshooter for us, but that may or may not be a reality.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Can't disagree  30% is awfully low for a shooter, and that's why I posted the stats and asked what those that have watched him play live think.  His stroke and release just look awfully good. 

He had a tournament where he played up in the EYBL last summer and shot 38%.  It'll be interesting to see how this summer and next year provide more opportunities to show if the number is closer to 38% or 30%. Of course, his college decision will have been made by that point, so it's up to our coaching staff to project what kind of shooter he will be in college. I'd love for him to be a feared sharpshooter for us, but that may or may not be a reality.

I have definitely heard the talk of him as a shooter and watched a few clips and he looked deadly.  

48 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Sean McDermott is my comparison of who he is/potential. Sean only hit 34% from 3 as a Sr in HS. 

Sean was the #78 SG in the country. 

Luke is the #20 SG in the county. He is much more than a Zeisloft. No offense to Nick. 

Sometimes its not about ranking, but about how a kid fits into your program. 

I think he is way to good of a shooter to pass up. He gives us something we desperately need.  I think you try to get as many of the top 6 or so players in Indiana that you can get as well as the top 2 out of state targets 

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is the offer to Luke a sign that Wesley or Muhammad are getting away?? I mean we have offers out to both those guys and with who we have in the fold already are we really taking more than one guard in the 21 class?

I think the staff recognizes the need for shooters and he is a great get just in case we miss on the others. No more putting all your eggs in the ketchup basket 

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is the offer to Luke a sign that Wesley or Muhammad are getting away?? I mean we have offers out to both those guys and with who we have in the fold already are we really taking more than one guard in the 21 class?

Has Luke been offered by IU?

Archived