Lousiville?

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I understand what you mean, but to me elite means consistently over time, not just elite moments here and there. Those are all great things you mentioned, absolutely, and I wasn’t knocking Crean, he did some great things, but IU hasn’t been consistently elite in terms of winning for 15+ years. For example, I don’t consider Texas Tech elite at this point. They had 2 elite seasons, but IMO to be an elite program you have to do consistently over time  

IU has missed the tournament in 8 of the last 15 seasons, including each of the last three and 4 of the last 6, with those last two data points not including Crean’s first 3 seasons. IU has only made the tournament 4 times in the last 11 seasons. 

I’ve been very vocal about supporting Archie and I believe if we’re all patient he has a good chance to get IU back to being consistently elite. 

But yes, IU has had some elite moments, for sure, I was just referring more to consistently elite. 

I see things fairly similarly. Here, I’m saying in this context I don’t fault the U. After Sampson (for which the U deserves lots of blame, etc.), IU’s hire of Crean was all in all a good one, he did a hell of a job bringing IU back from a complete destruction of the program and the academics of the players. The transition to CAM probably took too long and Crean’s tenure ended badly, but now we’re just 2 years in. Whether we’re getting back to elite remains to be seen.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with that position in my opinion. The issue is, and you've alluded to this with the IU fan base and I'll extend it to the administration, but it's like there's an identity crisis among the fans and admin.  IU (encompassing fans, alumni, administration, etc.) doesn't know who it wants to be. Everyone wants winning of course, but there are factions that want to be Duke, UK, Kansas, etc., there are factions that want to UVA, Villanova, etc., and the program for years seems to be bouncing back and forth with no clear path or direction. 

I think this is why we need to stick with Archie because I think he's the first coach that has an identity most Hoosier fans from the Knight era can relate too. That is, play hard nosed defense, play smart unselfish team ball, graduate players that go on to be good citizens, & win without compromising our integrity. Sampson had a small part of it but didn't "get" the graduate player, good citizens part, & obviously, the integrity part.

I believe Archie has a vision to do just that but a minority of our fan base is making the rest of the fan base & the university we all love, look bad. Archie's contract is set up to give him the time to implement his way of doing things. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Look, maybe I am wrong and the Archie will ultimately prove to be a failure.  But, do we want that failure to be because our fanbase was so busy infighting and wanting to prove he wasn't "the guy" that we never gave him the 100% support that he and the players deserve?  Or, do we want to get behind our coach, our players, and our university? Maybe we can help create the synergy needed to help facilitate positive change! Maybe WE are the missing ingredient in the success formula to help return us to being the relevant program we think we should be?

For me, it is an easy answer. Be positive, be supportive, occasionally put naysayers in their place, & help build people up.  That is how our university will become great again. Just mho.

8 minutes ago, IUFan4Life said:

I think this is why we need to stick with Archie because I think he's the first coach that has an identity most Hoosier fans from the Knight era can relate too. That is, play hard nosed defense, play smart unselfish team ball, graduate players that go on to be good citizens, & win without compromising our integrity. Sampson had a small part of it but didn't "get" the graduate player, good citizens part, & obviously, the integrity part.

I believe Archie has a vision to do just that but a minority of our fan base is making the rest of the fan base & the university we all love, look bad. Archie's contract is set up to give him the time to implement his way of doing things. Why is that so hard for people to understand? Look, maybe I am wrong and the Archie will ultimately prove to be a failure.  But, do we want that failure to be because our fanbase was so busy infighting and wanting to prove he wasn't "the guy" that we never gave him the 100% support that he and the players deserve?  Or, do we want to get behind our coach, our players, and our university? Maybe we can help create the synergy needed to help facilitate positive change! Maybe WE are the missing ingredient in the success formula to help return us to being the relevant program we think we should be?

For me, it is an easy answer. Be positive, be supportive, occasionally put naysayers in their place, & help build people up.  That is how our university will become great again. Just mho.

Great post! Completely agree, as I was preaching patience all season long. I think Archie has a real change to be ‘the guy’ if we can all just have some patience and let him build this thing. 

44 minutes ago, IUFan4Life said:

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t really think Colorado is the bar for whether or not IU is elite. Again though, IU is absolutely elite in terms of fan base, the audience IU delivers to networks, history/tradition, home court advantage, revenue, etc., etc., but IU has not been elite on the court in terms of winning the last 15 years or so. 

You are correct. However, the people I talk to still consider IU to be an all time elite program. In fact two of my friends feel very strongly that IU is still a Blue Blood Program.

I didn’t read all the comments so if I am repeating someone else sorry! I think the biggest thing is Louisville went and got a proven coach every time. Who did Pitino follow, they paid a lot of money to get him. Mack is a proven coach and recruiter. I like Archie I think we did this right, but to follow Knight with Davis who admitted he wasn’t ready to be a head coach. Then stick with him for what was it 8 years. Then go with Sampson a known cheater. Good coach but was already known for run corrupt programs. Then follow him with Crean who did a great job at first ,but seemed like he wanted to play a style of basketball that we will run you off the floor. Wasn’t fun to watch because we played no Defense and turned the ball over at record paces. I think it’s a style that wins you games when it works ,but loses games that you should win because of all the turnovers if your not making your threes! 

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

You are correct. However, the people I talk to still consider IU to be an all time elite program. In fact two of my friends feel very strongly that IU is still a Blue Blood Program.

I haven’t said anything different, agree with everything you said there. 

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

Is that it for your definition of the 'Indiana Way"? Does style of play matter to you?

I'm not advocating for the following necessarily, but how would you feel about the below, as long as your initial criteria is being met?

- Names on the back of the uniforms?

- New uniforms every few years?

- New arena?

- Lots of one and dones, but ones that go to class during their one year?

- A coach that wins with your initial criteria, but says things like Cal about putting guys in the NBA?

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit,  :coffee:

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It's a shame to think that some IU fans don't think that IU is no longer an elite program. While I talk to other fan bases that still consider IU as an elite program, based on our history, despite what has gone on recently.

I live in Iowa and the Iowa & Iowa State fans that I know refer to IU as a has been.  After RMK was fired, IU has been very mediocre at best.

3 minutes ago, BDB said:

I live in Iowa and the Iowa & Iowa State fans that I know refer to IU as a has been.  After RMK was fired, IU has been very mediocre at best.

I actually converse with a mod of an Iowa site.  He does not feel that way.  Always speaking highly of our program.  And though he did not like Coach Alford, felt that Iowa did not do him any favors, when Steve kept asking for a dedicated BB practice facility, such as Cook Hall at IU... and many other top tier programs across this great nation of ours.

By the way. I love Iowa. Think it is a great state. Know many people that are from Iowa, or grew up there, and got a degree from Iowa.  Now. Thanks to you for sharing.  I will add you to my list of people I know and love that are connected to Iowa.

52 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit,  :coffee:

I wasn’t necessarily advocating for those things, was just making the point that there is a decent sized, pretty vocal segment of the fan base that simply winning without cheating isn’t enough. It’s got to be done in a certain way, and while I’m all for embracing tradition and not being like every other program, that can also hold a program back. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Which is worse? Being a has been, or being a never was?

Just passing on what I hear out here.  ISU has started to turn the corner and have become a good basketball school the last 10 years.  Prohm will do a good job if he doesn’t leave.  Crazy Fran, I am not a fan of. 

16 hours ago, milehiiu said:

This is interesting:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/

Breakdown of above:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/polls.html

IU has been in the polls more in recent years than I would've guessed, but that span from 71 to 2000 is. . . well, wow. 

Archived