Rothstein's Big Ten Forecast

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

It seems that Indiana is the only program that has to deal with injuries. 

Every team has players hurt or injured during the course of the year. But tough to find another team in the country as young while learning a new system who suffered not only the plethora of the injuries that IU experienced, but the timing of the injuries as well.

40 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Every team has players hurt or injured during the course of the year. But tough to find another team in the country as young while learning a new system who suffered not only the plethora of the injuries that IU experienced, but the timing of the injuries as well.

Don't mind him he is this boards Fepaugh

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

We can certainly talk about why Smith did develop really at all last season, why Juwan never developed a consistent outside shot, or why Fitzner was so bad, and yes those things would have bought us a couple more games and made IU potentially a tournament team, but my bottomline is if you cut the injuries even in half then IU is probably a top 4-5 Big Ten team and solidly in the tournament with a chance to advance maybe to the Sweet Sixteen. 

I disagree with this.  Even without injuries we still were not hitting shots and would not have had a chance to make the sweet 16.  To me that is just fantasy.  That team last year was not good with or without the injuries.  Green didn't do anything all year until the end.  Smiths lack of growth and inability to score at a normal level.  His defense was good and rebounding decent but his mistakes and lack of scoring cause us issues.  McRoberts digressed from the year before even before the injury and was liability on offense as much as he was a boon on defense.  Fitz who decided he couldn't hit the broad side of a bard after some early success really was a liability on both ends and was finally late in the season relegated to the bench.  Morgan was the bright spot playing outside his position most of the time.  I would say he had less leadership skills than what we would want but he did ok.  Romeo really faded as the season went and that could be due to his hand or that fact we had no other threat and they figured him out.

The injuries definitly didn't help us at all.  Since i don't know what hunter can bring i won't say he was the savior.  I don't care what people say they could do in practice and they though he was a one and done talent.  Until he plays on the floor, he is unknown.  Davis and Rob being hurt probably hurt the most.  Davis not being able to allow Morgan to play the 4 and Smith the 3 really hurt, although Smith at the 3 is scary too.  Rob was playing really well until the concussion and then never really did come back to himself.  But to me, that doesn't change the flaws this team had.  There was way more to fix than just injuries.  We won alot of early games against teams we should have beat and beat 2 teams that were really good.  The B1G really exposed our issues and brought them front and center.

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

We were up double digits on the road to start the game against Maryland, Northwestern, and Rutgers. Two of those games, NW and Rutgers, were without Davis and Green. IU lead NW 20-13 with 9 minutes to go in the half and scored 4 pts the remainder of the half and IU lead Rutgers 29-19 with 4 minutes left in the 1st half and didn’t score a point until there was 14 minutes left in the game. Guys like Anderson saw extended minutes in those contests.

Oh i agree we also gave games away not being able to score running the exact same offense with the same people every single game.  No change up, no try something different.  That is also one of my complaints

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

Its a valid excuse but there were other reason we lost games than just having people hurt. 

14 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Its a valid excuse but there were other reason we lost games than just having people hurt. 

Not disagreeing with that in the slightest. But I saw how IU played with a healthy squad through December and to end the year and I know it wasn't the same team I saw through the month of January into February.

The injury is excuse is just downright ridiculous.  MSU lost their 2nd best player and made the FF.  We had Romeo and Juwan all season.  The one game Juwan missed against MSU we won.  The only real loss was Hunter and he was a freshman and not a 5 star recruit. We have no idea if he would've had a huge impact or not.  I'm just sick and freaking tired of the excuses and everyone here should be too.  It's like the Crean era all over again.

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The injury is excuse is just downright ridiculous.  MSU lost their 2nd best player and made the FF.  We had Romeo and Juwan all season.  The one game Juwan missed against MSU we won.  The only real loss was Hunter and he was a freshman and not a 5 star recruit. We have no idea if he would've had a huge impact or not.  I'm just sick and freaking tired of the excuses and everyone here should be too.  It's like the Crean era all over again.

Check out the remaining talent level Michigan State had behind Langford buddy. Michigan State wasn't a young team playing for a 2nd year coach nor had anywhere near the talent level or depth of Michigan state. It's called perspective. Have some.

19 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Romeo might have played all year but he was injured and limited his shooting most of the year.  Also Izzo has been there 23 years and has a culture of winning their and they have experience players and it allowed them to over come 2 injuries.

9 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Check out the remaining talent level Michigan State had behind Langford buddy. Michigan State wasn't a young team playing for a 2nd year coach nor had anywhere near the talent level or depth of Michigan state. It's called perspective. Have some.

don't mind this guy either because he is one of those guys from  rivals that  knows it all but really has no clue what they are talking about.

21 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Romeo was hurt most of the year, man. He was supposed to be our 2nd best if not best player. Injuries were a huge issue plan and simple. Davis, Romero, Hunter, McRoberts, Thompson, Forrester, Phinisee, Green. It wasn't one guy, and it wasn't at one point of the year. It was many (important) guys and pretty much all season long. Morgan was a good player, not a great one. He wasn't leading IU to the FF by himself.  He did about all he could and was relied on way too much. Just because you don't like hearing about "excuses" doesn't mean they're not true. And no one is comparing Archie to Izzo.

21 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Romeo was hurt most of the year, man. He was supposed to be our 2nd best if not best player. Injuries were a huge issue plan and simple. Davis, Romero, Hunter, McRoberts, Thompson, Forrester, Phinisee, Green. It wasn't one guy, and it wasn't at one point of the year. It was many (important) guys and pretty much all season long. Morgan was a good player, not a great one. He wasn't leading IU to the FF by himself.  He did about all he could and was relied on way too much. Just because you don't like hearing about "excuses" doesn't mean they're not true. And no one is comparing Archie to Izzo.

Maybe we need a new strength and conditioning program? 

All I know is that this is one long and miserable off season. It reminds me of the off season ND football went through a few years ago when they went 4-8. Kelly changed the entire program after that.

That gives me hope here.

24 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

All I know is that this is one long and miserable off season. It reminds me of the off season ND football went through a few years ago when they went 4-8. Kelly changed the entire program after that.

That gives me hope here.

Sure because a strength and conditioning coach is really going to prevent concussions, blood clots, and torn achilles. 

2 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

That gives me hope here.

We need a bit of luck too. But I do appreciate you have hope. So do I. I don't think "coaching" was the main issue and I think recruiting has been fine. We just need everyone to come together as a team. Good teams (football, basketball, baseball) start with defense. The offense normally comes second and is based on confidence = roles and rhythm. The defense was there (for the most part). Now they have to tighten the offense (a lot). 

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i know someone i would like for them to go to Rivals and stay there and its not LDD

I’m starting to think we should take a page out of his book and start telling every single poster that responds to him how much of a jacka** he is... Since that seems to be allowed these days.

50 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

We need a bit of luck too. But I do appreciate you have hope. So do I. I don't think "coaching" was the main issue and I think recruiting has been fine. We just need everyone to come together as a team. Good teams (football, basketball, baseball) start with defense. The offense normally comes second and is based on confidence = roles and rhythm. The defense was there (for the most part). Now they have to tighten the offense (a lot). 

Strongly disagree that offense is secondary for good basketball teams... You have to have a great offense to compete for a championship.  

And focusing only on one side of the ball to the detriment of the other is what got the last coach fired.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Strongly disagree that offense is secondary for good basketball teams... You have to have a great offense to compete for a championship.  

And focusing only on one side of the ball to the detriment of the other is what got the last coach fired.

Coach Knight had a Defensive mind set.  However... he had some very good Offensive teams.  Combination of both.  Take a page out of the General's book .

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and a sourpuss to be named later.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m starting to think we should take a page out of his book and start telling every single poster that responds to him how much of a jacka** he is... Since that seems to be allowed these days.

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i know someone i would like for them to go to Rivals and stay there and its not LDD

does-this-mean-were-not-friends-anymore-ifi-thought-that-35848889.png

Archived