Kyle Macy Sounds Off

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

We can agree to disagree on our current relevancy on a national stage. I am 46 years old and have traveled all over our country and then I do whether for business or pleasure I am decked out in IU gear. Up until about the past 5 years i was constantly talking Indiana Basketball with complete strangers.  Currently that is not the case. Every once in a while I run into an alum but the average person is not stopping me to talk. 

My son goes to school in Cincinnati and he had 4 tickets to IU Northwestern and asked his buddies if anyone wanted to go and they were like I dont really want to drive to see 2 bad teams play. These are college athletes that go several hours to watch quality sports.  

Outside of our fans most people think we have a great history but that is about all.  My best friend is a PU alum and because of the amount of money he donates he is in with several big donors and etc..  most PU fans still hate IU but dont really consider us a rival. They feel that MSU and UM are their rivals because those are the teams they are competing for to with the conference. Let that sink in for a minute.

We have an amazing history a great game day atmosphere but if we think we are relevant in a national level and anyone outside of our fan base cares about Indiana basketball we have our heads in the sand. It's time to reclaim our place in the sport before it's too late. Our history can only carry us so far

Personal anecdotes on talking to people, or your perception of when and how you're approached, is your way to measure the relevancy of the program, I don't see it, and have different experiences to the extent they matter, but that's your opinion and it is as fair as anyone's. 

Under Crean, for a time, we were very much in the conversation again, with the President picking IU to win it all, with repeat SW16's, with the longest-running #1 ranking in the country, with two B1G regular season championships, but as Gleas and I seem to rehash all the time, Crean couldn't build consistency, his recruiting fell off with bad class balance. He developed and helped get several players into the NBA, and those guys are for the most part collectively outstanding, just look at the list, Vic, Cody, Yogi, OG, Bryant, Troy, can include Vonleh, not much liked and a one-and-done but a solid NBA player, and we had guys like Wat ruining UK's record.

That just wasn't long ago, now we're in transition again. Now, again, we're struggling to build the program back up under a new coach. When you go through multiple coaching changes since 2000 that's going to be the deal, generally. Consistency remains the goal, hopefully CAM gets us there. Remains to be seen.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Personal anecdotes on talking to people, or your perception of when and how you're approached, is your way to measure the relevancy of the program, I don't see it, and have different experiences to the extent they matter, but that's your opinion and it is as fair as anyone's. 

Under Crean, for a time, we were very much in the conversation again, with the President picking IU to win it all, with repeat SW16's, with the longest-running #1 ranking in the country, with two B1G regular season championships, but as Gleas and I seem to rehash all the time, Crean couldn't build consistency, his recruiting fell off with bad class balance. He developed and helped get several players into the NBA, and those guys are for the most part collectively outstanding, just look at the list, Vic, Cody, Yogi, OG, Bryant, Troy, can include Vonleh, not much liked and a one-and-done but a solid NBA player, and we had guys like Wat ruining UK's record.

That just wasn't long ago, now we're in transition again. Now, again, we're struggling to build the program back up under a new coach. When you go through multiple coaching changes since 2000 that's going to be the deal, generally. Consistency remains the goal, hopefully CAM gets us there. Remains to be seen.

I did misspeak, my opinion is based on my experiences. In all honesty I think Syracuse was the only team that year that would have beaten us. Outside of our fanbase I do not feel that we get a fraction of the attention that 15 or more teams do. When we are good it's great for college basketball  but we just have not been consistent. 

59 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

PU fans claiming UM & MSU are rivals and we aren't is amusing.  They haven't had the success of those first two teams (S16 being their zenith).  Perhaps a better gauge is a look at their message board where you will always see at least one (and typically multiple) threads about IU.  Not to mention that they still have their classy "IU sucks" chant.  A fanbase doesn't obsess like that about non-rivals.  Illinois considers us one of their rivals, but you don't see us paying much attention to their program.

There's no doubt that over the past handful of years we haven't played at the same level as PU, but prior to that the success of the two teams was fairly similar.  The biggest difference I see is that we're still disappointed about S16 losses (particularly the Syracuse loss), while they beat their chests about S16 appearances - make of that what you will.

Some very good points and I do know the PU fans are obsessed with our history and do have a different level of expectation than our fans. Right now I personally would be ecstatic to make a S16 as far as that goes to make the Sweet 68!!

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I did misspeak, my opinion is based on my experiences. In all honesty I think Syracuse was the only team that year that would have beaten us. Outside of our fanbase I do not feel that we get a fraction of the attention that 15 or more teams do. When we are good it's great for college basketball  but we just have not been consistent. 

The thing is that if there were not real interest in IU then CBS and ESPN would not put most of our games on their network.  It can't be just IU has a big fan base that they will put our games on because these are national telecast going throughout the country.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that if there were not real interest in IU then CBS and ESPN would not put most of our games on their network.  It can't be just IU has a big fan base that they will put our games on because these are national telecast going throughout the country.

Our national coverage is significantly down.  Some games have to do with our opponent as well. Dont underestimate our fanbase. We are a draw because of our large die hard Hoosier loving fanbase . 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Our national coverage is significantly down.  Some games have to do with our opponent as well. Dont underestimate our fanbase. We are a draw because of our large die hard Hoosier loving fanbase . 

to me were are on national TV as much as any other team not named Duke or UK with games on ESPN, Fox and CBS

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We might be. I dont know but I have just guessed we were more Regional than national.  I might be wrong. 

I looked and it looks like were  on what I would call national TV 23 times in 35 games  this year and that would being on one of the Fox networks, one of the ESPN network and CBS.

Fox- 13

ESPN- 7

CBS- 3

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I looked and it looks like were  on what I would call national TV 23 times in 35 games  this year and that would being on one of the Fox networks, one of the ESPN network and CBS.

Fox- 13

ESPN- 7

CBS- 3

I posted this several months back, and will repeat for the sake of this discussion.

As of an article printed in 2018, IU has the second most living alumni of all universities in the United States, with 650,000. Only Penn St., with 673,000 has more. Also in the top 10 are B1G schools Purdue 10th, Rutgers-8th, Ohio State-6th, Michigan State-4th and Michigan-3rd. 

If I am in charge of sports programming for one of these national outlets you mention, any game involving schools with that many potential viewers (including extended families, friends, etc.) will be on the radar and an easy sell to advertisers. The quality of the team is not the first or foremost factor they would look at, nor how "relevant" they are in the national basketball landscape. The fact that there are so many potential consumers in the numbers is what the networks care about. And, as someone else said earlier, at least 3 of the schools in the top 10 mentioned above have been extremely relevant of recent times, and when IU plays them, the games receive national recognition because of the combined potential viewers of the two schools, as well as the perceived cache of the opponents. 

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

so to me with everything we are saying it should so we are still relevant nationally

I think we are just judging relevancy in different ways.  Each of us became fans for different reasons. I become fans of Indiana Basketball,. Notre Dame football the Cowboys and Lakers, all because with 4 channels on TV they were on all the time where I lived and I loved sports so much. AS i have and others have said we have a huge alumi base. Are we adding new fans outside of our area? I don't think so. Its hard to buy Indiana Gear in most areas out of state but yet there are 10 to 15 other teams that no matter where i go I can find their gear in the local stores. Are kids tuning in from other areas to watch Indiana Basketball? 

This is odd and might mean nothing but does Indiana pass the amusement park test? We love amusement parks and when we travel we always visit the closest 1. Not very often at the basketball shooting games can you win an IU ball. no matter where we have gone UK,Duke, Kansas, UL, MSU, UM, UNC, Nova, and recently Gonzaga and Virginia are always represented. You can't even win an IU ball at Kings Island. Our fan base is an older fan base that lives on the traditions and our past. To get new blood that has no connections to IU iit will take a long run of success. IU will  be a big draw because of number of fans and 5 titles but we are getting older and our kids and eventual grand-kids may not be fans because of the lack of success. 

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The thing is they can make more by playing Kansas,MSU or Duke and if they lose it's not the end of the world.  

Not sure that's true...

UK-KU Game Last Year Drew a 1.7 Nielsen Rating

IU UK in 2011 drew a 2.3...a significant difference

And the NCAA game in 2016 Drew an off-the-charts 6+ rating.

IU has a huge following, as does UK. We hate them and they hate us. Ratings, no matter if either team is up or down, are always going to be big.

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I posted this several months back, and will repeat for the sake of this discussion.

As of an article printed in 2018, IU has the second most living alumni of all universities in the United States, with 650,000. Only Penn St., with 673,000 has more. Also in the top 10 are B1G schools Purdue 10th, Rutgers-8th, Ohio State-6th, Michigan State-4th and Michigan-3rd. 

If I am in charge of sports programming for one of these national outlets you mention, any game involving schools with that many potential viewers (including extended families, friends, etc.) will be on the radar and an easy sell to advertisers. The quality of the team is not the first or foremost factor they would look at, nor how "relevant" they are in the national basketball landscape. The fact that there are so many potential consumers in the numbers is what the networks care about. And, as someone else said earlier, at least 3 of the schools in the top 10 mentioned above have been extremely relevant of recent times, and when IU plays them, the games receive national recognition because of the combined potential viewers of the two schools, as well as the perceived cache of the opponents. 

So if you were in charge Penn State would be on National TV more than anyone else?  I think quality and relavance play a bigger role in programming than you give credit for.  PSU vs Rutgers is never going to be the Game of the Week.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure that's true...

UK-KU Game Last Year Drew a 1.7 Nielsen Rating

IU UK in 2011 drew a 2.3...a significant difference

And the NCAA game in 2016 Drew an off-the-charts 6+ rating.

IU has a huge following, as does UK. We hate them and they hate us. Ratings, no matter if either team is up or down, are always going to be big.

Thank you I stand corrected. Now we need to just make it happen. this is the 1 game on the schedule that I sorely miss. Others may not but i do. 

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The thing is they can make more by playing Kansas,MSU or Duke and if they lose it's not the end of the world.  

So you're saying they fear losing to a team they view as inferior?

What UK has to gain is pounnding IU into the ground every year and proving without a doubt that they are better.  If they were truly confident, you'd think they's want to banish the memory of the Wat Shot loss and the last tournament loss against IU.  I mean, their recent history against IU is nothing to brag about.  You'd think they'd want to prove those wins were aberrations. 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think we are just judging relevancy in different ways.  Each of us became fans for different reasons. I become fans of Indiana Basketball,. Notre Dame football the Cowboys and Lakers, all because with 4 channels on TV they were on all the time where I lived and I loved sports so much. AS i have and others have said we have a huge alumi base. Are we adding new fans outside of our area? I don't think so. Its hard to buy Indiana Gear in most areas out of state but yet there are 10 to 15 other teams that no matter where i go I can find their gear in the local stores. Are kids tuning in from other areas to watch Indiana Basketball? 

This is odd and might mean nothing but does Indiana pass the amusement park test? We love amusement parks and when we travel we always visit the closest 1. Not very often at the basketball shooting games can you win an IU ball. no matter where we have gone UK,Duke, Kansas, UL, MSU, UM, UNC, Nova, and recently Gonzaga and Virginia are always represented. You can't even win an IU ball at Kings Island. Our fan base is an older fan base that lives on the traditions and our past. To get new blood that has no connections to IU iit will take a long run of success. IU will  be a big draw because of number of fans and 5 titles but we are getting older and our kids and eventual grand-kids may not be fans because of the lack of success. 

To me one thing I actually agree with DD on is that what is hurting Indiana University and the fan base is that the president of the University is bringing in more and more out of state kids.  We are worrying more about Chicago and the east coast and these kids did not grow up watching IU basketball or even being fans of the team.  They go there for 4 years and a lot of them when they leave are not really IU fans and they go back to home they go back to being fans of their favorite teams. 

I have always hated when I hear that some people think if you did not go to that school you are not a real fan of those teams.  Growing up in Indiana I knew a lot of die hard fans of IU sports especially basketball who never step foot on campus.  I rather have fans who grew up with IU basketball and lived it their whole lives over people who went tot the school for 4 years who really couldn't care less about the program.  I know it is all about money and it won't change but if we let more Indiana kids into IU who know what IU basketball is all about because their parents grew up on it we would not be worrying about a new generation of IU fans.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

So you're saying they fear losing to a team they view as inferior?

What UK has to gain is pounnding IU into the ground every year and proving without a doubt that they are better.  If they were truly confident, you'd think they's want to banish the memory of the Wat Shot loss and the last tournament loss against IU.  I mean, their recent history against IU is nothing to brag about.  You'd think they'd want to prove those wins were aberrations. 

You know probably more UK fans than I do an in their minds we are not even on the same planet with them. The ones that truly understand the game don't like their current model and would love to play us and beat us to shut us up but the other inbreds think they are far superior. The are the poster child for OAD and think our victories were flukes and why give us the opportunity to beat them again. 

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thank you I stand corrected. Now we need to just make it happen. this is the 1 game on the schedule that I sorely miss. Others may not but i do. 

Oh, I miss it too. Back in the 70s, if you wanted to get on my Dad's bad side, walk in front of the TV when IU was playing. 

If you wanted to commit suicide, do it when they were playing UK.

The Old Man's favorite saying..."What's the difference between a Hoosier and an a-hole? The Ohio River!" 

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You know probably more UK fans than I do an in their minds we are not even on the same planet with them. The ones that truly understand the game don't like their current model and would love to play us and beat us to shut us up but the other inbreds think they are far superior. The are the poster child for OAD and think our victories were flukes and why give us the opportunity to beat them again. 

Actions speak loudly here.  If Cal truly felt his program was that much superior to IU, he would be glad to play them...even in Bloomington.  Hell, especially in Bloomington for that matter.

Just shows that Cal isn't nearly as confident as his inbred fanbase.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Actions speak loudly here.  If Cal truly felt his program was that much superior to IU, he would be glad to play them...even in Bloomington.  Hell, especially in Bloomington for that matter.

Just shows that Cal isn't nearly as confident as his inbred fanbase.

hit the nail on the head my friend. 

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

So if you were in charge Penn State would be on National TV more than anyone else?  I think quality and relavance play a bigger role in programming than you give credit for.  PSU vs Rutgers is never going to be the Game of the Week.

Nope, of course that game would not be on national tv. IU is a basketball school. Neither of those two are. We get the benefit of the doubt, regardless of the quality of the product, due to the number of potential eyes that would watch our basketball school play. Flipped around, I would say that Penn St. gets that same benefit of the doubt for football telecasts. As things currently stand, you would never see IU on a nationally broadcast football game based on their own merits. If the opponent is one of the "football schools" from the conference, then yes. On the B1G network, yes because they only televise conference teams. But not on one of the major networks

Archived