Kyle Macy Sounds Off

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Straight from the horse’s mouth:

“ASOB: Did Indiana recruit you?

KM: Bob Knight didn't really recruit me very hard. He already had a bunch of great players, and didn't really need me. But later on, coach Knight told me if he had it to do all over again that he would recruit me, and I thought that was nice of him to say.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aseaofblue.com/platform/amp/2009/10/27/1102509/q-a-with-kentucky-basketball

I stand corrected Bob...

http://www.celticslife.com/2012/06/what-hell-happened-tojerry-sichting.html

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know the history and of course he is, when there’s no series.  He’s on record on that in countless interviews. 

Yet, he conveniently ignores the fact that IU for years was happy to play at neutral sites.  Enter Glass, and we go off on one of his eccentricities.   In Glass’ mind, he wanted home and home or his rotation idea or he’s going home with his ball.  UK is not interested in that, and they don’t need the exposure the way IU does.  

When Glass refuses to play in a neutral court series, he’s absolutely the problem.  He took something that was working and blew it up.  As I said, IU played the neutral court series for years and it worked out well.  I remember a senior guard named Damon Bailey getting the cover of SI after one of those neutral court victories.  

Thats the type of exposure —and money, frankly— IU is missing out on.  You hear IU claim budgetary problems yet when it comes to no brainers revenue generators, IU gets lost in the ego of the AD. 

If we get a sharp AD in here, he will understand the dynamics much better, and the series comes back. 

The IU / UK series has no business being played on a neutral court.  UK doesn't understand that because their arena is not on campus anyway.  College basketball rivalries should always be played on home courts.  Save the neutral court matchups for the made for TV stuff.  

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The IU / UK series has no business being played on a neutral court.  UK doesn't understand that because their arena is not on campus anyway.  College basketball rivalries should always be played on home courts.  Save the neutral court matchups for the made for TV stuff.  

Amen to  that

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know the history and of course he is, when there’s no series.  He’s on record on that in countless interviews. 

Yet, he conveniently ignores the fact that IU for years was happy to play at neutral sites.  Enter Glass, and we go off on one of his eccentricities.   In Glass’ mind, he wanted home and home or his rotation idea or he’s going home with his ball.  UK is not interested in that, and they don’t need the exposure the way IU does.  

When Glass refuses to play in a neutral court series, he’s absolutely the problem.  He took something that was working and blew it up.  As I said, IU played the neutral court series for years and it worked out well.  I remember a senior guard named Damon Bailey getting the cover of SI after one of those neutral court victories.  

Thats the type of exposure —and money, frankly— IU is missing out on.  You hear IU claim budgetary problems yet when it comes to no brainers revenue generators, IU gets lost in the ego of the AD. 

If we get a sharp AD in here, he will understand the dynamics much better, and the series comes back. 

You blame Glass, I blame Cal.  What is not in question is that even UK fans want some quality home games.  I personally  know season ticket holders who are tired of the non con home games being Wofford, Steven F Austin, and 5 guys from the local church league.  It's exactly what Kyle is referring to in the article.  You are in the extreme minority here my friend.

17 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

You blame Glass, I blame Cal.  What is not in question is that even UK fans want some quality home games.  I personally  know season ticket holders who are tired of the non con home games being Wofford, Steven F Austin, and 5 guys from the local church league.  It's exactly what Kyle is referring to in the article.  You are in the extreme minority here my friend.

Both IU and UK are to blame for this...

I have no problem with the other view and am sympathetic to the idea.   You guys raise good points.  

UK wants it one way, IU another. But I don’t like the solution of just not playing.  It’s like if you want chocolate ice cream but you only find vanilla in the freezer. Why deprive yourself of ice cream entirely, especially since we’ve been eating vanilla to great happiness in the past?  Glass says he wants the students to experience it once in Bloomington in every four years.  Ok, if it’s that significant, your solution is to scrap it entirely so the students don’t even get to be a part of the rivalry in any way, shape or form?  That kind of defeats his own point.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.  

I just don’t feel like this is the Cuban Missile Crisis where we don’t bend at all.  Playing the series is a big win.  There’s the money.  There’s the national exposure.  There’s the ability to get basketball prestige.  It gets the players ready for a tourney like atmosphere.  Playing a huge game on a neutral court helps get your team ready for events at tourney time.  There’s a big time feel to it. Recruits notice. The players sense and feel like they are in a big time atmosphere.   Other schools have filled that void by setting up big time games.  

Knight played it on a neutral court for many years.  We were accustomed to it on that second Saturday in December.  No one seemed bothered by it.  Fred Glass shows up and pulls the game away from us.  We had it before he was here, and poof it’s gone under his watch.   Like it or not, my prediction is that it comes back when Glass is gone. 

In any event, I think I’ve exhausted the topic and would rather talk about something more fun.  

Two things:

1. It's good to know we are not the only program that has issues. Between the program players or former coaches.

2. I thought early on. Mr. Glass offered an alternative.  Having games alternate between on and off campus.

---------------------------

Viewing the series from afar.  I have to admit, I had no problem watching the games in the big venues.  With half the arena dressed in blue. And the other dressed in Crimson. With a clear dividing line between the two.  Something that I looked forward to.  And felt the National TV networks looked forward to as well.

55 minutes ago, rico said:

Both IU and UK are to blame for this...

I disagree.  If I recall correctly, IU even proposed a compromise where every other year it would be neutral court, as long as there were on campus games in the rotation.  UK was totally against the on-campus games.  That's on UK.

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Those games where it was a 50/50 red/blue split were some of my favorite games I have ever attended. 

And for this out of stater.  I felt they were special.  Hey, I understand people wanting campus games.  However, the big venue games. For me. Raised the bar to another level.

I’ve argued this here before, but the bottom line is IU just doesn’t have the pull to dictate terms to UK right now, and we’re really the only ones who lose out on not playing the series.  Unlike IU, UK has nothing to prove.  Playing UK every year would give IU the opportunity to show that we still belong with the college basketball elite.  Just play the damn game in Indy and Louisville.

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’ve argued this here before, but the bottom line is IU just doesn’t have the pull to dictate terms to UK right now, and we’re really the only ones who lose out on not playing the series.  Unlike IU, UK has nothing to prove.  Playing UK every year would give IU the opportunity to show that we still belong with the college basketball elite.  Just play the damn game in Indy and Louisville.

Kyle Macy and I disagree with you.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kyle Macy and I disagree with you.

And that’s fine.  IU can continue to be stubborn about it and miss out on a marquee game and an opportunity to prove it’s still a relevant program if it wants to.  Definitely hurts the program though.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have no problem with the other view and am sympathetic to the idea.   You guys raise good points.  

UK wants it one way, IU another. But I don’t like the solution of just not playing.  It’s like if you want chocolate ice cream but you only find vanilla in the freezer. Why deprive yourself of ice cream entirely, especially since we’ve been eating vanilla to great happiness in the past?  Glass says he wants the students to experience it once in Bloomington in every four years.  Ok, if it’s that significant, your solution is to scrap it entirely so the students don’t even get to be a part of the rivalry in any way, shape or form?  That kind of defeats his own point.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.  

I just don’t feel like this is the Cuban Missile Crisis where we don’t bend at all.  Playing the series is a big win.  There’s the money.  There’s the national exposure.  There’s the ability to get basketball prestige.  It gets the players ready for a tourney like atmosphere.  Playing a huge game on a neutral court helps get your team ready for events at tourney time.  There’s a big time feel to it. Recruits notice. The players sense and feel like they are in a big time atmosphere.   Other schools have filled that void by setting up big time games.  

Knight played it on a neutral court for many years.  We were accustomed to it on that second Saturday in December.  No one seemed bothered by it.  Fred Glass shows up and pulls the game away from us.  We had it before he was here, and poof it’s gone under his watch.   Like it or not, my prediction is that it comes back when Glass is gone. 

In any event, I think I’ve exhausted the topic and would rather talk about something more fun.  

Actually Glass and Crean offered to play neutral court games to go along with home games so that should be good for both parties.  The real reason that we don't play any longer is that Cal was afraid we were going you end their long home winning streak the next year after the Wat Shot.

So this is what I thought was the dagger.

IU won this game. Kentucky goes on to win the National Championship. Cal wishes he never set foot in Assembly Hall as it ruined their shot at an undefeated season.

As far as I know, Cal wants to dictate when and where. That’s why there is no game. He/they hold themselves higher than thou. That’s my observation.

Cal Scared? Maybe strategic is a better term. Lowlife cut all corners cheater? Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Actually Glass and Crean offered to play neutral court games to go along with home games so that should be good for both parties.  The real reason that we don't play any longer is that Cal was afraid we were going you end their long home winning streak the next year after the Wat Shot.

Mr. Glass is on record of saying he does not have an issue with neutral court games. In terms of  the revenue they used to bring in.  And yes. He offered a compromise. 

In my mind. This is not on Mr. Glass. And totally on Calamari. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That and he couldn't stomach ESPN's constant replays of the "Watshot" and the celebration.  Bad for business.

38 minutes ago, slojoe said:

That and he couldn't stomach ESPN's constant replays of the "Watshot" and the celebration.  Bad for business.

I wonder how Cal would have reacted if he was the coach of UK when Laettner hit his shot against the 'Cats?

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bottom line is that, if Watford had not hit that shot, the IU / UK series would have never been cancelled.  That's hypocritical on Cal's part and everyone knows it whether they want to admit it or not.

Probably a lot of truth to that...bottom line is the 'Cats got beat by an "inferior" opponent.  Or at least that is the way that prick thinks.

Archived