Kyle Macy Sounds Off

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If we are so irrelevant now why do we still usually get one of the marquee matchup in the ACC/ Big Ten challenge. we also get as many ESPN and CBS games as we ever have so that doe snot seem to be irrelevant to me.  I also looked back at our schedules going back to the early 80's and they have been very similar to what we have done the last 10 years.  We usually play 3 really big marquee matchups with a few mid level power conference teams and a  few mid major teams.  The only real difference is that lately we played more teams below 300 than we use to do but the top of the schedule is pretty similar.

I don't think anyone is really saying IU is irrelevant, but less relevant is fair.  We still do get great matchups in the challenge, but a greater degree of relevance would not be a bad thing.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't think anyone is really saying IU is irrelevant, but less relevant is fair.  We still do get great matchups in the challenge, but a greater degree of relevance would not be a bad thing.

Not disagreeing with you but some make it sound like we are like Ball state in relevance.

^^ I think that's taking it a bit far. We're not currently "relevant" to non-IU folks as a program for real NCAA tourney aspiration, but we're only a few years now removed from the #1 ranked team with repeat SW16's, and 2 top 5 draft picks, and most probably see our getting back to that level soon. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Rico, I'd add Louisville to that list.  We'd plow through ND, Louisville, and Kentucky in the preseason plus some other marquee games in the pre-season NIT, Maui, or whatever other tourney we'd enter.  We were at the highest relevancy back then.

I just don't remember playing them in the 70's...but yeah I would stick them on the list.  Maybe even Cincinnati?

I am really going to hate myself for posting this, and will head directly to the shower immediately after—

I see the two programs being on equal footing in that they are both rolling in the dough and based on this thread, both have at least a part of their fan base who is dissatisfied with the quality of their opponents.

For every other perceived reason to resurrect this rivalry, UK presently has a leg up.

- Cal seems to be having no problems getting his share of the highest level recruits. He doesn’t need this game to showcase his program for Johnny Five Star. We aren’t in the same situation recruiting wise.

- UK gets tons of exposure as the premiere program in their conference (we no longer are), by making long conference tournament runs (we do not), and long NCAA tournament runs ( have to make the tournament first).

- UK gets tons of off the court exposure due to Cal being a lightning rod. Plenty of celebrities have come visit practices, ESPN has sucked up to them, much of the national media loves them. In the court of public opinion, they stand little to gain by playing us.

FKIM brought up the concept of leverage. Most would say that leverage is the important factor in any negotiations. UK has it right now. Unfortunately, we don’t. I think Glass needs to set aside his ego and do what it takes to get this rivalry going again. Negotiate short term. Two years maybe. After two years, if CAM has the program headed in the direction we think he will, we’ll gain more leverage and he’ll be able to renegotiate on a more level playing field.

I hate conceding to the likes of Cal as much as anyone on here, but I think we have to go the short term pain for long term gain on this one.

It’s really not rocket science Fred. Just put your ego aside and make the common sense decision 

I am good friends of moderators on the Duke, Illinois, and Kansas boards on the 247 platform  Have been for a decade or more. Established the relationship on the old Scout network. None are IU fans, by definition.  However, I asked. Not one of them consider IU to be irrelevant.  A couple mentioned our history. And our five national championships.

I don't think we are irrelevant, but we are not competing at a level we all desire and expect.  I've read enough crap on the internet to believe a lot of cbb fans outside of the fanbase think the B1G and the game itself is better when IU is at the top and I agree. 

Also, I want the IU/UK game back. Not sure if I care much where it's played. 

On 7/21/2019 at 7:26 PM, milehiiu said:

And for this out of stater.  I felt they were special.  Hey, I understand people wanting campus games.  However, the big venue games. For me. Raised the bar to another level.

It also gave 'non season ticket holders' a chance to see IU play a quality opponent rather than the pushovers we played in the 'Indiana' and 'Hoosier Classics'.

When I was a young man, I used to watch the Indiana All Stars vs. the Kentucky All Stars, it was great.

Then, for the most part, the Indiana kids went to IU and the Kentucky kids went to UK, and we saw their rivalry continued at the next level.

But now the Kentucky All Stars aren't very good, I think they have won but twice in the last 22 years.

How many players on Kentucky's team are from Kentucky now?

So, I honestly don't care.

If we renew the series, fine, if we don't, also fine.

The entirety of NCAA Basketball is more of a production any more than an athletic contest.  

14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ I think that's taking it a bit far. We're not currently "relevant" to non-IU folks as a program for real NCAA tourney aspiration, but we're only a few years now removed from the #1 ranked team with repeat SW16's, and 2 top 5 draft picks, and most probably see our getting back to that level soon. 

We can agree to disagree on our current relevancy on a national stage. I am 46 years old and have traveled all over our country and then I do whether for business or pleasure I am decked out in IU gear. Up until about the past 5 years i was constantly talking Indiana Basketball with complete strangers.  Currently that is not the case. Every once in a while I run into an alum but the average person is not stopping me to talk. 

My son goes to school in Cincinnati and he had 4 tickets to IU Northwestern and asked his buddies if anyone wanted to go and they were like I dont really want to drive to see 2 bad teams play. These are college athletes that go several hours to watch quality sports.  

Outside of our fans most people think we have a great history but that is about all.  My best friend is a PU alum and because of the amount of money he donates he is in with several big donors and etc..  most PU fans still hate IU but dont really consider us a rival. They feel that MSU and UM are their rivals because those are the teams they are competing for to with the conference. Let that sink in for a minute.

We have an amazing history a great game day atmosphere but if we think we are relevant in a national level and anyone outside of our fan base cares about Indiana basketball we have our heads in the sand. It's time to reclaim our place in the sport before it's too late. Our history can only carry us so far

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

most PU fans still hate IU but dont really consider us a rival. They feel that MSU and UM are their rivals because those are the teams they are competing for to with the conference. Let that sink in for a minute.

I've never met a Purdue fan that wasn't delusional to some degree.

As for the rest of your premise, I agree for the most part. I travel quite a bit myself and younger fans of other programs don't know the history so they certainly don't appreciate it. To them, we are irrelevent. 

Most of the fans of other programs I've met see us like the Alabama football program in the 80s. A slumbering giant. Good, but with all of the blue-blood advatages that makes great still possible.

What bargaining chips do we bring to the table? UK has nothing to gain by playing us. They sure do have a ton to lose.  We still talk about and love a Watshot that has gone down in Indiana folklore.  Right wrong or indifferent we are not anywhere near where UK is. As a die hard fan and hater of all things UK. That kills me to admit

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

What bargaining chips do we bring to the table? UK has nothing to gain by playing us. They sure do have a ton to lose.  We still talk about and love a Watshot that has gone down in Indiana folklore.  Right wrong or indifferent we are not anywhere near where UK is. As a die hard fan and hater of all things UK. That kills me to admit

We haven't been on UK level in a looooooooong time. Sampson probably would have had us there but it might have felt a bit uncomfortable. Crean had us close but lost the momentum that 11/12 should have delivered plus we had a series of in state targets that Crean just wasn't going to play the game with. Regarding this thread. If play UK great. If not fine by me. We have bigger issues in our AD's office instead of just one game.

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

TV Ratings = $$$$$

If there's one lesson to be learned in life it's "money talks."

And I'm sure those greedy bastiges in Lexington understand that.

PU fans claiming UM & MSU are rivals and we aren't is amusing.  They haven't had the success of those first two teams (S16 being their zenith).  Perhaps a better gauge is a look at their message board where you will always see at least one (and typically multiple) threads about IU.  Not to mention that they still have their classy "IU sucks" chant.  A fanbase doesn't obsess like that about non-rivals.  Illinois considers us one of their rivals, but you don't see us paying much attention to their program.

There's no doubt that over the past handful of years we haven't played at the same level as PU, but prior to that the success of the two teams was fairly similar.  The biggest difference I see is that we're still disappointed about S16 losses (particularly the Syracuse loss), while they beat their chests about S16 appearances - make of that what you will.

Archived