PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Good for the PGA. Acknowledging that they can’t compete with the NFL, The Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines starts tomorrow and wraps up Saturday night.

Maybe college basketball, the B1G in particular, could take a lesson and not schedule games up against the playoffs of the most popular sport in America 

Saw an interview with Nantz talking about this briefly with Dan Patrick.  Nantz is going to handle the coverage Saturday from Arrowhead Stadium.

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Good for the PGA. Acknowledging that they can’t compete with the NFL, The Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines starts tomorrow and wraps up Saturday night.

Maybe college basketball, the B1G in particular, could take a lesson and not schedule games up against the playoffs of the most popular sport in America 

Exactly...and in the same time tapping their coverage into primetime on Friday and Saturday night with CBS handling things until 8pm on the East Coast both nights. 

I'm a Tiger guy...but Phil over time has grown on me. Interesting stance for sure. I honestly didn't know some of the numbers he spoke of. If these are true the PGA is going to have to figure out a way to make the product more shareable in terms of revenue. Guess it's just like any other sport. $30k per second of that one clip? It's the PGA's intellectual property?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phil-mickelson-pga-tour-media-rights-obnoxious-greed

20 hours ago, Reacher said:

Nobody talking about the Pebble Beach Pro Am? Tom Hoge got his first win in 200+ starts. Nice story. Incredible course.

https://www.pgatour.com/wiretowire/2022/02/07/tom-hoge-wins-2022-att-pebble-beach-pro-am.html

We touched on it a bit in gambling thread. Had him in my lineups. Just shows how hard it is to win on tour but so glad when guys like him get that first one. Fully exempt status I think until end of 24?

Can't imagine the weight that was lifted not to mention the extras that go with winning on tour besides $....Augusta,etc...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We touched on it a bit in gambling thread. Had him in my lineups. Just shows how hard it is to win on tour but so glad when guys like him get that first one. Fully exempt status I think until end of 24?

Can't imagine the weight that was lifted not to mention the extras that go with winning on tour besides $....Augusta,etc...

Correct, exempt thru 2024.

Had to be a life changer for him.

• Like 1

Riviera up this week and we get to hear from Tiger tomorrow. Hopefully will give us an update on potential return.

Riviera and Augusta have always had a similar leaderboard for whatever reason. Shot maker course I guess. Will post picks in gambling thread once I narrow things down a bit. Besides majors and WGC events has to be one of the strongest fields of the year. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:53 PM, Seeking6 said:

I'm a Tiger guy...but Phil over time has grown on me. Interesting stance for sure. I honestly didn't know some of the numbers he spoke of. If these are true the PGA is going to have to figure out a way to make the product more shareable in terms of revenue. Guess it's just like any other sport. $30k per second of that one clip? It's the PGA's intellectual property?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phil-mickelson-pga-tour-media-rights-obnoxious-greed

Most of that money, which Phil failed to talk about, goes to the players pension fund, paid by the tour. Any and every player that makes over 150 cuts become life time members of the tour. Points are given for cut made, top 10's and wins, Ryder cup, Major wins. Each point is worth a certain $ amount. Any living player that qualifies gets paid from this fund when they retire. There are billions in this fund. At one time about 15 years ago they were already talking about Tiger and Phil bankrupting the fund if they retired close to each other. The only part I agree with him on is they had to pay the tour a million dollars each to play in the match. Thats stupid.

Everytime Phil goes overseas he is going for a Million appearance fee. Plus they have the best benefits in the world free. I know of a player who hurt his back and went on short term disability and could stay on it for 7 years and was making a Million a year to not play. I would go play with him at his course, he would shot 65. I asked him if was ready to play again and he said why, they are giving a million to stay home with my kids.

I would say both sides are greedy. Phil being a little more so.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Riviera up this week and we get to hear from Tiger tomorrow. Hopefully will give us an update on potential return.

Riviera and Augusta have always had a similar leaderboard for whatever reason. Shot maker course I guess. Will post picks in gambling thread once I narrow things down a bit. Besides majors and WGC events has to be one of the strongest fields of the year. 

Always a strong field due to its history but the 2 courses are nothing a like. You get some of the same players on the leaderboard , minus Tiger, who never plays Riviera very well because you cant play from their ruff, Augusta ruff is only an inch or so. Augusta used to mow everything and had no ruff at all until they needed ways to beat Tiger.

On 2/6/2022 at 9:26 AM, Seeking6 said:

Just a crazy stat to pass along this morning. Jon Rahm has been ranked #1 for 36 weeks. To catch Tiger's combined weeks record at #1...Rahm would have to be #1 for roughly the next 12 1/2 years.

Some stats will never be broken.

Here is a crazy stat for you. The world ranking system is messed up because it promotes non play, meaning its easy to lose points playing than it is staying home. Guys at home pass players that play every week. Anyway back to my point. If you qualified for the U.S. Open and it was your first Pro tour event ever and you won some how, you would be ranked #1 in the world based on how points are given. Crazy I know. The players have been arguing that scenario for years. Push back is it will never happen.

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Most of that money, which Phil failed to talk about, goes to the players pension fund, paid by the tour. Any and every player that makes over 150 cuts become life time members of the tour. Points are given for cut made, top 10's and wins, Ryder cup, Major wins. Each point is worth a certain $ amount. Any living player that qualifies gets paid from this fund when they retire. There are billions in this fund. At one time about 15 years ago they were already talking about Tiger and Phil bankrupting the fund if they retired close to each other. The only part I agree with him on is they had to pay the tour a million dollars each to play in the match. Thats stupid.

Everytime Phil goes overseas he is going for a Million appearance fee. Plus they have the best benefits in the world free. I know of a player who hurt his back and went on short term disability and could stay on it for 7 years and was making a Million a year to not play. I would go play with him at his course, he would shot 65. I asked him if was ready to play again and he said why, they are giving a million to stay home with my kids.

I would say both sides are greedy. Phil being a little more so.

I'd have to dive in a little more to decide if I think Phil or the tour is being greedy but not owning your own images? Not sure I agree with that.

12 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Always a strong field due to its history but the 2 courses are nothing a like. You get some of the same players on the leaderboard , minus Tiger, who never plays Riviera very well because you cant play from their ruff, Augusta ruff is only an inch or so. Augusta used to mow everything and had no ruff at all until they needed ways to beat Tiger.

Historically the crossover between Riviera's leaderboard and Augusta have strangely close not counting Tiger of course. Should be a fun tournament. I took a virtual tour of it...and afterwards went aerial. It almost ruined the course I like so much. Didn't realize how many homes (Pacific Palisades)  were jammed up against the course. I'll see if I can find a photo to share. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Here is a crazy stat for you. The world ranking system is messed up because it promotes non play, meaning its easy to lose points playing than it is staying home. Guys at home pass players that play every week. Anyway back to my point. If you qualified for the U.S. Open and it was your first Pro tour event ever and you won some how, you would be ranked #1 in the world based on how points are given. Crazy I know. The players have been arguing that scenario for years. Push back is it will never happen.

Not even the most messed up scoring system in the world can't deny Tiger's stay at #1 for that long. To me given how competitive the tour is.....that stat won't ever be touched again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Historically the crossover between Riviera's leaderboard and Augusta have strangely close not counting Tiger of course. Should be a fun tournament. I took a virtual tour of it...and afterwards went aerial. It almost ruined the course I like so much. Didn't realize how many homes (Pacific Palisades)  were jammed up against the course. I'll see if I can find a photo to share. 

Brentwood is right there. I used to stay 2 blocks from O.J's house when I went to Riviera. The course is the middle of neighborhoods.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This was the one on twitter earlier today. I know how crazy CA real estate is (family has been there for years) but to me this is crazy.

Riviera.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not even the most messed up scoring system in the world can't deny Tiger's stay at #1 for that long. To me given how competitive the tour is.....that stat won't ever be touched again. 

Tiger played the least and won the most. The system was made for him. You are correct, that will never be broken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Brentwood is right there. I used to stay 2 blocks from O.J's house when I went to Riviera. The course is the middle of neighborhoods.

I accidentally quoted my post. Have family from Santa Barbara to Pasadena to OC....and I don't think I'll ever get used to the idea of bungalow homes going for millions. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching Riviera today. Niemann has been nothing short of remarkable with back to back 63's.

Lots of big names lurking about 5-9 shots back including JT, Spieth, Scott, Hovland, and Morikawa. Seems like the course is more gettable this year. 

On the flip side was amazed at some of the guys who MC or barely made the cut.