PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

Not sure how this Saudi thing plays out but seems like it imploded yesterday the same way Greg Norman would implode on Sunday's. Kind of ironic.

Was maybe a little surprised at some of the comments directed at Phil too. Maybe Phil thought his words would carry more weight? Apparently not.

Florida swing starts this week. Up first Honda Classic. Haven't even looked at lineups yet but  Im, Berger, Koepka and few others historically play well here. 

On 2/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, Seeking6 said:

Not sure how this Saudi thing plays out but seems like it imploded yesterday the same way Greg Norman would implode on Sunday's. Kind of ironic.

Was maybe a little surprised at some of the comments directed at Phil too. Maybe Phil thought his words would carry more weight? Apparently not.

Florida swing starts this week. Up first Honda Classic. Haven't even looked at lineups yet but  Im, Berger, Koepka and few others historically play well here. 

I was only a caddie for 30 years on tour and knew Phil lied about certain things. Now you're a player sitting through meetings on things, you really know he lied about things. His statement said he thought he was off the record so you know he was trying to make his position look better. He owned it though so i'll give him that. Phil has always been fake and full of crap so he is getting what he deserved. Greg Norman is a great dude by the way. He was my mom's fav., he knew it,  and any time she was around Greg would spend 20 to 30 mins chatting with her. He was going to start a world tour years ago and Tim Fiincham stole his idea and started the World Golf Events.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Indykev said:

I was only a caddie for 30 years on tour and knew Phil lied about certain things. Now you're a player sitting through meetings on things, you really know he lied about things. His statement said he thought he was off the record so you know he was trying to make his position look better. He owned it though so i'll give him that. Phil has always been fake and full of crap so he is getting what he deserved. Greg Norman is a great dude by the way. He was my mom's fav., he knew it,  and any time she was around Greg would spend 20 to 30 mins chatting with her. He was going to start a world tour years ago and Tim Fiincham stole his idea and started the World Golf Events.

Would love to hear your stories. That is awesome to hear about Norman/your Mom too. I was never a big Phil guy but he grew on me over the years. Seems all of this Saudi stuff really backfired though...and maybe there are some darker things in Phil's closet.

That statement yesterday seemed genuine to me but it also read like someone saying sorry but still saying what he said was right. 

I didn't know this until this morning. The LPGA doesn't provide health insurance? They get $1850 stipend to their own benefits? 

• Like 1

I have a question for all of you good to great golfers. I know there are several on here. I feel good with my knowledge of the game of basketball and I love to play golf and watch the tour but as far as equipment I am clueless. Ayden is an 8th grader and currently 5ft tall. I am not sure how tall he will get. He currently has a set of clubs that is the top set of the US Kids clubs. They are 1 year old they fit him perfectly but it is a limited set and for his Freshman year I want to get him a nice set that will last a few years or until he really out grows them. Any suggestion?? The two sets I am looking at are the Callaway XT Teen set height for 63" and above Callaway Junior XT 10-Piece Complete Set (Height 63” and Above), Left Hand, Kids, Black/White/Grey

Or The King Cobra Varsity set 60" to 65" Cobra Varsity 11-Piece Complete Set, Right Hand, Kids

I am thinking the Callaway just because it does not have an end height on them. I have not seen either in person to compare so any suggestions would be great. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have a question for all of you good to great golfers. I know there are several on here. I feel good with my knowledge of the game of basketball and I love to play golf and watch the tour but as far as equipment I am clueless. Ayden is an 8th grader and currently 5ft tall. I am not sure how tall he will get. He currently has a set of clubs that is the top set of the US Kids clubs. They are 1 year old they fit him perfectly but it is a limited set and for his Freshman year I want to get him a nice set that will last a few years or until he really out grows them. Any suggestion?? The two sets I am looking at are the Callaway XT Teen set height for 63" and above Callaway Junior XT 10-Piece Complete Set (Height 63” and Above), Left Hand, Kids, Black/White/Grey

Or The King Cobra Varsity set 60" to 65" Cobra Varsity 11-Piece Complete Set, Right Hand, Kids

I am thinking the Callaway just because it does not have an end height on them. I have not seen either in person to compare so any suggestions would be great. 

I'd have no clue but as long as we are on the topic, my wife needs a new set. Any recommendations for a basic ladies set for someone who will probably play just a few times per year? She is 5'11".  It is time for her to stop sharing mine. 

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd have no clue but as long as we are on the topic, my wife needs a new set. Any recommendations for a basic ladies set for someone who will probably play just a few times per year? She is 5'11".  It is time for her to stop sharing mine. 

Play it again sports or even goodwill. I get a really nice set of ladies club, had to be purple with a purple bag for my wife at Goodwill under $30 total.  I also bought her a pair of shoes and an outfit at play it again. She will look like a pro for sure if she ever steps foot on a course😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't think you could go wrong with either....but I'm not the best equipment guy to ask. I have Cobra myself but I bought them just because of price. Hopefully someone can help you out!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Besides the places Billingsley suggested I know the Golf Galaxy near me has a used set area....I've bought several drivers and hybrids there over the years. Great clubs for 25% of the original cost.

One other place that might have good one's are estate sales if those are your things. My aunt's neighborhood here in town usually has at least 1-2 per year and they always have golf clubs/golf cart bargain hunters at them.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, Billingsley99 said:

I’d personally go with the callaways.  Cobra jacks with the lofts too much for my liking.  Callaway would be the more consistent club in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thank you I appreciate it. I was leaning toward Callaway but wanted some opinion from those that know much much more than I

Taylor Made make the best clubs on the market. Thats why Tiger went to them. As far as your son. Dont rush him into adult mens club to quickly. Let him grow into them or he will get bad habits because of the weight. Find him a good used ladies set so he gets used to the length and weight. Ebay is a great place to find clubs online or 2nd swing. Once he grows then get the mens set.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 12:40 PM, Reacher said:

At 5'11 she might need to stay with a mans set. Ladies clubs might be to short for her. Does she handle the weight of your clubs? She could always go with a mens set with S300 or zzlite shafts. Pretty common shats to find. lower weight.

Edited by Indykev
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Taylor Made make the best clubs on the market. Thats why Tiger went to them. As far as your son. Dont rush him into adult mens club to quickly. Let him grow into them or he will get bad habits because of the weight. Find him a good used ladies set so he gets used to the length and weight. Ebay is a great place to find clubs online or 2nd swing. Once he grows then get the mens set.

Titliest makes the best clubs and balls on the market.  Taylor Made is good though.  Tiger followed the 💰.  He still putts with a Cameron that’s not labeled.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I know nothing about golf…..

Tiger's putter is a Cameron that is labeled Cameron, his putter grip is a ping grip which he blacks out. Tiger also never played Titliest or Nike irons. He played Mizuno irons which both Titliest and Nike paid millions to Mizuno for blank head so they could stamp them with their logo's. Taylor Made basically stole patents from Mizuno to get Tiger to sign. Golf balls, the top players in the world have their own ball made. One you or I will never play. Rookies that come out try all the top players golf balls to find one they like or they get what they get. I had a pro that I didnt work for give me a couple of dozen balls one time because he didnt want to carry them. I hit my irons 2 clubs farther. I told the guy I was working for and he switched the next week and we finished in the top ten 8 weeks in a row winning one. He hit that ball 20 yards farther off the tee and an iron farther. It changed his career. I have a little knowledge not much.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Tiger's putter is a Cameron that is labeled Cameron, his putter grip is a ping grip which he blacks out. Tiger also never played Titliest or Nike irons. He played Mizuno irons which both Titliest and Nike paid millions to Mizuno for blank head so they could stamp them with their logo's. Taylor Made basically stole patents from Mizuno to get Tiger to sign. Golf balls, the top players in the world have their own ball made. One you or I will never play. Rookies that come out try all the top players golf balls to find one they like or they get what they get. I had a pro that I didnt work for give me a couple of dozen balls one time because he didnt want to carry them. I hit my irons 2 clubs farther. I told the guy I was working for and he switched the next week and we finished in the top ten 8 weeks in a row winning one. He hit that ball 20 yards farther off the tee and an iron farther. It changed his career. I have a little knowledge not much.

His putter wasn’t always labeled Cameron I know that for sure I saw it covered or modified in some way so cameron wasn’t showing when he was playing in the Ryder cup or presidents cup shortly after he made the switch.  We don’t see anything those guys play with wether it be balls or clubs.  Hell we can’t even get most of the apparel those guys wear, just knock offs of the same brand. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Indykev said:

This. Spot on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

This is fascinating to me. Thanks for sharing. I guess I never realized that stuff with the balls. How do they Dr them to make such a difference to what the public just buys? Appreciate these insights!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Players Championship on deck. So many guys to choose from this week. I don't gamble on individual plays (only do fanduel lineups) but it would be tough to not put a couple $ on guys like DJ or Koepka given the odds....despite poor course history for DJ.

I'm rolling with Morikawa in my leagues. Forecast calls for rain most of Thursday and Friday. Winds up Saturday....very cool for Florida on Sunday. 

Guys under the radar but have great course history are Scott, Sergio, Casey...even Kim. 

Good luck this week!

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Players Championship on deck. So many guys to choose from this week. I don't gamble on individual plays (only do fanduel lineups) but it would be tough to not put a couple $ on guys like DJ or Koepka given the odds....despite poor course history for DJ.

I'm rolling with Morikawa in my leagues. Forecast calls for rain most of Thursday and Friday. Winds up Saturday....very cool for Florida on Sunday. 

Guys under the radar but have great course history are Scott, Sergio, Casey...even Kim. 

Good luck this week!

It is the proverbial crapshoot.  But very interesting and fun.  😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1