PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

On 7/13/2022 at 4:43 PM, 5fouls said:

The PGA Tour has Tiger.  Even if it's just for the next 3-4 years, that's going to be a very large hurdle for LIV to overcome.  I've felt 'USFL' all along.  

Tiger plays 3-4 times a year….for two rounds…he is no longer a factor. It’s purely going to be can the LIV tour make their matches matter enough and interesting. Maybe introduce some slight variations in format etc. You can’t get too crazy but nothing wrong with doing some things differently. Making attendance fees super cheap to introduce young kids to the game…get creative with playoffs or alternate game types in the rounds…make scoring changes like a point system for (birdie 3 pts/Eagle 5pt/par 1 etc….just all sorts of things but if you just are going to go shot for shot exactly like PGA…probably not going to last. Majors are where people really tune in….rest of the tour stops I could care less if it’s LIV or PGA. Gotta come up with something of major level to hook fans.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

A lot of LIV guys at the top of the board…imagine after all the vitriol they’ve taken the past few months they would love to win a major. I’m pulling for one of them to do it. Would love it!

I only see 3 in the Top 20 of the leaderboard (DJ, Gooch, and Ancer).  Wouldn't call that 'a lot'.  

• Like 1

Phenomenal leaderboard for the last major of the season....and while I don't like these scores at St. Andrews it's the same for all so the heck with it. 

Both Cam's, Rory, Viktor, DJ, Scheffler, Hatton, Cantlay....shoot I think even guys like Fitzpatrick and Xander if the leaders stumble a tad have a shot over 36 holes. Problem for those guys is they need so many leaders to shoot E or even just a couple under each day.

Anyway...great leaderboard, one of the sports iconic venues with the world watching true competition. That's my type of golf. 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the part I'm struggling with. First saw Tiger at a pro-am in late 80's (Hardees Golf Classic) at age 13 and have loved the guy ever since. I don't want to see him struggling but I also don't want him to stop playing.

Maybe as a fan I should just be grateful for what he gave and let him ride out into the sunset until Charlie hits the tour.

I love the man....I have some great pre-9 iron Tiger stories and dont put in print. He has always been great to me. I'm afraid this is what we'll see from him every time he tee's it up. He needs that right leg to push off and can't. Faldo said today Tiger told him playing with the broken leg in the US Open was nothing to the pain he feels every day now. Someone in his life needs to step up and say enough.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The funny thing about that list is there is not a player on there that I rooted for even before there was such a thin as LIV.  Indifferent on Gooch, Westwood and Ancer.  But, DJ, Reed, Garcia, Poulter, Casey, and Dechambeau were players I have never liked.  Koepka would be another one on the 'not like' list had he made the cut.  Phil may be the only LIV player that I actually have rooted for at some point in the past.  

Edited by 5fouls

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The funny thing about that list is there is not a player on there that I rooted for even before there was such a thin as LIV.  Indifferent on Gooch, Westwood and Ancer.  But, DJ, Reed, Garcia, Poulter, Casey, and Dechambeau were players I have never liked.  Koepka would be another one on the 'not like' list had he made the cut.  Phil may be the only LIV player that I actually have rooted for at some point in the past.  

Big fan of Dustin Johnson if just to see his wife run up on the 18th for the victory kiss…oh wait did I say that out loud??

Honestly I’ve rooted for almost all those Americans at one point or another. Almost all have interesting personalities at least. Kind of like Travino and Rodriguez and those back in the day…anything but boring stiff country club pros. (I know I know most these guys probably grew up with a spoon in their mouth)

People give Reed crap for what he did moving the sand but your head would spin if you knew all the cheating that went on. They used to call Gary Players caddie Rabbit, pockets, because all if his pants had holes in the pockets. Gary would hit it in trouble and Rabbit would run to the area and Gary would always be in the open. We were paired with Brandel Chamblee and I walked in an area looking for his ball 2 mins later his ball was lying where i had walked around in, out in the open. I asked him if his ball landed in my foot print. Payne Stewart used to walk right behind his ball in the fairway to smash the grass down. I had a player, not going to say who, Tell him if he did it again that he would walk over and put it on a tee for him, then he could answer way he did it. VJAY was banned from playing in Asia for cheating. Changed a score on his card after both players signed it. Changed to one stroke better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

People give Reed crap for what he did moving the sand but your head would spin if you knew all the cheating that went on. They used to call Gary Players caddie Rabbit, pockets, because all if his pants had holes in the pockets. Gary would hit it in trouble and Rabbit would run to the area and Gary would always be in the open. We were paired with Brandel Chamblee and I walked in an area looking for his ball 2 mins later his ball was lying where i had walked around in, out in the open. I asked him if his ball landed in my foot print. Payne Stewart used to walk right behind his ball in the fairway to smash the grass down. I had a player, not going to say who, Tell him if he did it again that he would walk over and put it on a tee for him, then he could answer way he did it. VJAY was banned from playing in Asia for cheating. Changed a score on his card after both players signed it. Changed to one stroke better.

Thanks for sharing these stories...always curious about the behind scenes stuff like this. Appreciate  you bringing it to the board! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

If the wind stays down, we may see a 59 today.

That's what I'm thinking. Winds pick up a bit in a few hours but not much. Feels weird to say if a player isn't shooting a 67/68 they are probably losing ground.

Edited by Seeking6

One other quick comment before errands and stuff before leaders tee off. Anyone see that pin placement on 17? I get trying to protect the course a bit with these scoring conditions but someone i.e. a player might take one off the dome teeing off on 18 if any player tackles that pin tucked in behind bunker. 

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

With Reed, it's not that incident.  He just comes across as a total a-hole all the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for sharing these stories...always curious about the behind scenes stuff like this. Appreciate  you bringing it to the board! 

I laugh every time Brandel opens his mouth about a player. I was great friends with his long time caddie, Andy quit Brandel and told everyone he wanted to work for a player that he didnt have to look away from every time he got near his golf ball. Brandel cheated that much. When I was working for Curtis Strange, Fred Couples picked up his ball and took drops 4 times without Talking to Curtis first so he could agree or disagree. Finally Curtis was so pissed he asked Fred if they were playing lift clean and place and someone forgot to tell him. Then he asked him why did you take that last drop was the ruff to deep? Funny stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I laugh every time Brandel opens his mouth about a player. I was great friends with his long time caddie, Andy quit Brandel and told everyone he wanted to work for a player that he didnt have to look away from every time he got near his golf ball. Brandel cheated that much. When I was working for Curtis Strange, Fred Couples picked up his ball and took drops 4 times without Talking to Curtis first so he could agree or disagree. Finally Curtis was so pissed he asked Fred if they were playing lift clean and place and someone forgot to tell him. Then he asked him why did you take that last drop was the ruff to deep? Funny stuff.

What are the officials throughout the course doing while all this is going on?

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What are the officials throughout the course doing while all this is going on?

There are 3 crews of officals. A group of 4 maybe 5 on site. an advance crew thats at the next weeks event setting up the golf course. They spend 2 weeks at a site. and a crew at home. They rotate.

• Like 1