PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

Monahan says the PGA TOUR has been prudent over the years in “managing reserves” which has given them the chance to make changes. Also credits their partners. Seems like more money has been located.

Phil knew where the money was the whole time. Players better be on their knees when they call Phil to thank him.

So these 20 or so  elevated events with $20M purses aren't just for top 60 only....still full field events so it actually helps the perceived lower tier guys too. Win one of those and immediately your top 60.

Pretty calculated and good response. Open up the purse strings. More $ for players at events, PIP,etc....while still having real golf where cuts have to be made. I'm waiting for the downside here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So these 20 or so  elevated events with $20M purses aren't just for top 60 only....still full field events so it actually helps the perceived lower tier guys too. Win one of those and immediately your top 60.

Pretty calculated and good response. Open up the purse strings. More $ for players at events, PIP,etc....while still having real golf where cuts have to be made. I'm waiting for the downside here. 

0 of the events listed are full field events. The LA open comes the closest but its still not 150. Arnolds and Jacks are Invitational. Top 70 from previous year and current year. All the Guaranteed money flying around just makes them exhibitions anyway. Not earning it in the dirt. Tournament of Champions now includes the non-winners from the Tour championship. NO CUT EVENT. 2 year exemption for non-winners that finish in the top 30. 0 incentive to win if you get the same benefit. Everything is catered to the top 30 as tour usual.

PIP is basically Guaranteed money. Ricky Fowler under current system will be 1 of the 20 getting money. When all know how his last few years have looked. Tiger still might be #1 with playing 0 tour events last year.

Are you all seeing THE LIV Tour here yet? Giving OWRP to these events should give LIV world ranking points.

53 minutes ago, Indykev said:

0 of the events listed are full field events. The LA open comes the closest but its still not 150. Arnolds and Jacks are Invitational. Top 70 from previous year and current year. All the Guaranteed money flying around just makes them exhibitions anyway. Not earning it in the dirt. Tournament of Champions now includes the non-winners from the Tour championship. NO CUT EVENT. 2 year exemption for non-winners that finish in the top 30. 0 incentive to win if you get the same benefit. Everything is catered to the top 30 as tour usual.

Point remains it's more than 48 right? You'll have tour events all year long with top 60....plus all the other events that will cater to the lower tier if you want to call them that....which I don't. Really cool part is the best players on tour will now it appears be in more events. 

The only downside I barely see is that some of the tour stops will be perceived as not as important because they aren't elevated,etc....but that's been going on since the beginning of time so no difference there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Point remains it's more than 48 right? You'll have tour events all year long with top 60....plus all the other events that will cater to the lower tier if you want to call them that....which I don't. Really cool part is the best players on tour will now it appears be in more events. 

The only downside I barely see is that some of the tour stops will be perceived as not as important because they aren't elevated,etc....but that's been going on since the beginning of time so no difference there.

Yes you will see the top PGA Tour guys in more fields 12 times. The other 25 events you wont see any. Its only 12 more guys than LiV. In a few cases less. No matter how you spin it, the PGA Tour is now LIV and every player should be kissing Phils ass today.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Yes you will see the top PGA Tour guys in more fields 12 times. The other 25 events you wont see any. Its only 12 more guys than LiV. In a few cases less. No matter how you spin it, the PGA Tour is now LIV and every player should be kissing Phils ass today.

Haha....we must be reading different articles because I kept seeing the words full fields...maybe not 150 but 120.

In terms of Phil. He's always been in search of people telling him he's right. If that's still his deal...cool. He's tarnished his legacy forever because as usual he took the wrong approach shot to the green.

Now everyone can go their separate ways and be done with it. I'm pretty confident in the PGA. LIV? Couple years tops. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha....we must be reading different articles because I kept seeing the words full fields...maybe not 150 but 120.

In terms of Phil. He's always been in search of people telling him he's right. If that's still his deal...cool. He's tarnished his legacy forever because as usual he took the wrong approach shot to the green.

Now everyone can go their separate ways and be done with it. I'm pretty confident in the PGA. LIV? Couple years tops. 

How many times have you met Phil? 120 is not a full field. only 3 of the listed events will have 120 from the past numbers, do they change now? The others not even close. We havent even seen the fall out yet from todays mess. There will be some. LIV is here to stay, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

How many times have you met Phil? 120 is not a full field. only 3 of the listed events will have 120 from the past numbers, do they change now? The others not even close. We havent even seen the fall out yet from todays mess. There will be some. LIV is here to stay, sorry.

Phil only twice. My wife's best friend though is attorney/counsel for PGA. Heard enough over the years to qualify myself as just barely above average fan. 

All today and this summer has done has create division. There is no growing the game. Just division and choosing a side....just like everything else in the country.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Phil only twice. My wife's best friend though is attorney/counsel for PGA. Heard enough over the years to qualify myself as just barely above average fan. 

All today and this summer has done has create division. There is no growing the game. Just division and choosing a side....just like everything else in the country.

I myself will watch both. The tour by staying in the states and robbing the DPWT of their 10 best every year isnt for sure growing the game.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 12:49 PM, Indykev said:

I think I follow golf/am more into golf than the average fella, but I also think you are infinitely more connected and follow it/into it than me…. I don’t get the big draw to LIV that you have. Sorry if you’ve explained it, but can you again?

I genuinely respect your opinion on golf (and other stuff) and am just curious why you’re pushing it so hard. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think I follow golf/am more into golf than the average fella, but I also think you are infinitely more connected and follow it/into it than me…. I don’t get the big draw to LIV that you have. Sorry if you’ve explained it, but can you again?

I genuinely respect your opinion on golf (and other stuff) and am just curious why you’re pushing it so hard. 

My feelings run deep. On how the tour treated caddies for years. How they were going to make caddies keep stats for shot link for free while they made millions. Europe pays the caddies $100 a day for the same thing. Then in the 90's they made it easy for European players to join the tour which cost U.S players and caddies jobs.

Also they let players for years play other events, on other tours, I benefited from that, without a question. Now Norman comes along and they block him once again. The first time they just stole his idea, this time they seem to be doing it again, but There is a couple of things I need to see thats being reported a couple of different ways. I've said it here before but I love Greg Norman because of the way he went out of his way with my mom.

I love all golf and will watch all 3 tours. Liv, PGA and Champions. DPWT has been raped of all their players they are getting less OWRP than the KF tour. Even when I caddied until today i've used tour coverage on tv as a sleeping pill. LIV on the other hand is so fasted pace, I caught myself leaning forward in my chair. 4 and a half hours it was over. People should watch what they want but the bashing of LIV players needs to stop.

I have a lot more but I started channeling Choops...time for sleep.

• Thanks 1

Cam Smith, Cam Young, Cam Tringale, Marc Leishman, HV3, Anirban Lahiri, Joaquin Niemann. Here are my 7 new players going to LIV. Made from several phone calls. I could be wrong on a couple but I think i'm right on it. No one I talked to would commit to knowing all 7. These were the names being thrown out there. Everyone says I'm crazy with Cam Young, but his parents only said he wants to win majors when asked about LIV. They didnt say he's not going because he wants to win majors.

This would give LIV the Top 3 finishers at this years PLAYERS. Smith, Lahiri and Casey. Do you think Norman thought about that? lol.

Edited by Indykev

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Cam Smith, Cam Young, Cam Tringale, Marc Leishman, HV3, Anirban Lahiri, Joaquin Niemann. Here are my 7 new players going to LIV. Made from several phone calls. I could be wrong on a couple but I think i'm right on it. No one I talked to would commit to knowing all 7. These were the names being thrown out there. Everyone says I'm crazy with Cam Young, but his parents only said he wants to win majors when asked about LIV. They didnt say he's not going because he wants to run majors.

This would give LIV the Top 3 finishers at this years PLAYERS. Smith, Lahiri and Casey. Do you think Norman thought about that? lol.

Will we see a Team Cam?  :coffee:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Will we see a Team Cam?  :coffee:

No team Cam. Young is for sure out, just confirmed by a great friend. Big name coming however. Top 30 player on last Ryder Cup team. I was surprised to hear Harold Varner III. I had 3 people give him up as moving. I was going with Daniel Berger until I was told a big name.                 

Mito Pereira

Edited by Indykev

So cool of a story for Scottie Scheffler. 3 years ago won Korn Ferry Tour POY. Today with a win he has a chance at $30M on course earnings. Another cool story for the Korn Ferry fans....the guy chasing him Im was 2018 player of year. 

Should be fun this afternoon watching these guys grind for their paydays. Rory coming on, Cantlay can't make back to back putts....but Scottie is keeping the door open. Will be a fun few hours for sure. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So cool of a story for Scottie Scheffler. 3 years ago won Korn Ferry Tour POY. Today with a win he has a chance at $30M on course earnings. Another cool story for the Korn Ferry fans....the guy chasing him Im was 2018 player of year. 

Should be fun this afternoon watching these guys grind for their paydays. Rory coming on, Cantlay can't make back to back putts....but Scottie is keeping the door open. Will be a fun few hours for sure. 

Scheffler struggling.  I would say IM and Rory are looking better.

• Like 1