IU vs Maryland Pre-game Thread

milehiiu

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN has this one as a toss up with a 50.3% chance we win. I like our odds much better than that.

I think we match up pretty well with them. Our tackling has gotten a lot better, and we've done a pretty good job against the run. Where we've really been hurt is by deep passes and QBs that scramble when plays break down.  They can scramble, but they don't pose much threat of the deep ball, so I think we'll be able to contain them better than we did MSU.

They are going to hit some big runs, but I think the key is to keep their big runs to 15 yards instead of letting them go for 50. Hopefully Ball's athleticism helps with that and he has a breakout game. Same with Cam Jones and our DBs.

I don't think their defense can hold down Penix. Purdue just threw for over 400 yards against them, so hopefully Penix can go for at least 300-350 yards. Maryland is 126 out of 130 teams in passing yards allowed per game.

I have a really good feeling about this game, and can't wait for Saturday!

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Defensively IU has to stop the Maryland run game.  If they get that going we will be in trouble.

Based on our last game's D. I feel there is a good chance of our D stopping their running game. I really feel that Coach Allen has turned things around on D.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Based on our last game's D. I feel there is a good chance of our D stopping their running game. I really feel that Coach Allen has turned things around on D.

We did well in the MSU game of stopping their running backs.  Lewerke obviously had a few long scrambles that hurt the rushing yards allowed, but outside of him, we only allowed 64 yards on 22 rushes.  Only 51 yards rushing allowed to UCONN.  Dobbins is really the only RB who did much against us, but he's 2nd in the nation in rushing, so that will probably be true of every team they face.  Even against Ball State, who it seemed like we couldn't tackle, they only had 2.5 yards per carry for 100 total rushing yards.

I'm fine if we load the box and make them beat us through the air.  Pigrome isn't going to throw for over 300 yards even if we only had 9 guys on defense, so we can let him chuck it all he wants.  Have to put all our focus on stopping the run.  Hold them under 200 rushing yards, and we should win.  Under 150, and we should win easily.

They played Rutgers two weeks ago, we played Rutgers last week. No significant personnel differences.

Their defense gave up 300+ yards and actually let that train wreck of an offense score. We gave up 76 yards in total.

Their offense put up more points but we had called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter, and were actively telling the dogs to lie down in the 4th.

If Rutgers is a litmus test, I like our chances.

8 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Last time we played at Maryland didn't we jump out 14-0, and then just seemed to stop playing?

You are 100% right seeking6, get a win move on to the next. 

I know there are plenty of games left but I don't want to hang my hat on getting to 6 wins by having to win at Penn St, home vs Michigan when the students have already left for Thanksgiving break (thanks Big 10!!) or on  the road vs our rival who might be healthy by that time. These next 3 games are so very important. Have to get to 6 before final 3.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know there are plenty of games left but I don't want to hang my hat on getting to 6 wins by having to win at Penn St, home vs Michigan when the students have already left for Thanksgiving break (thanks Big 10!!) or on  the road vs our rival who might be healthy by that time. These next 3 games are so very important. Have to get to 6 before final 3.

Agree 100%.  These next three are all very winnable.  Not likely to beat PSU at Happy Valley...and while I REALLY want to knock off the Wolverines, it's probably going to take some breaks and really outstanding play to do it.  Here's hoping because I'm there with friends who are Michigan fans.  Really believe we go 7-5, but with some help maybe 8-4.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

ESPN is projecting IU in the Red Box Bowl.

College football bowl projections

If you can't keep track of bowl names anymore (like 99% of the planet), this is actually the same bowl we played in 2 years ago (formerly the Foster Farms Bowl, began life as the Emerald Bowl).  San Francisco, Levi's Stadium, December 30. 

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If you can't keep track of bowl names anymore (like 99% of the planet), this is actually the same bowl we played in 2 years ago (formerly the Foster Farms Bowl, began life as the Emerald Bowl).  San Francisco, Levi's Stadium, December 30. 

Thanks for that.  At least, if we make it. The game is scheduled to be televised. I recall one bowl game, a number of years ago, that IU played in, and it was not televised. At least I was not able to get it.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for that.  At least, if we make it. The game is scheduled to be televised. I recall one bowl game, a number of years ago, that IU played in, and it was not televised. At least I was not able to get it.

2007 Insight bowl.  Was broadcast on the then-fledgling NFL Network.  I didn't get it either. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

2007 Insight bowl.  Was broadcast on the then-fledgling NFL Network.  I didn't get it either. 

That's right about the bowl game.  I was upset that I  could  not watch it.  I followed it on a game tracker.  And Mr. Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout network, as members posted updates. 

Archived