Congratulations Tom Allen

Also, I know this might not be an opinion shared by everybody, but congratulations to Fred Glass as well.  He caught a lot of flack from a lot of people for not having a national search when we hired Allen, but he knew who Allen was and how special he could be.  I expect Glass will happily make sure Allen is very well compensated after this season.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Also, I know this might not be an opinion shared by everybody, but congratulations to Fred Glass as well.  He caught a lot of flack from a lot of people for not having a national search when we hired Allen, but he knew who Allen was and how special he could be.  I expect Glass will happily make sure Allen is very well compensated after this season.

Inside of 2 hours after the news about Wilson broke, on HSN 2.0, my exact words were "Give it to Allen." I've never met the guy, but I could sense how good he was halfway through that season. That's also why I've never shed a tear over Wilson. I'm grateful for what he did, but he wasn't our long term guy. If things hadn't ended the way they did, he'd have moved on and up within a year or two.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Inside of 2 hours after the news about Wilson broke, on HSN 2.0, my exact words were "Give it to Allen." I've never met the guy, but I could sense how good he was halfway through that season. That's also why I've never shed a tear over Wilson. I'm grateful for what he did, but he wasn't our long term guy. If things hadn't ended the way they did, he'd have moved on and up within a year or two.

We talked about this a little this last week, but I thought from day 1 that Wilson was let go because Glass knew what he had in Allen and didn't want to lose him.

Just now, Leathernecks said:

We talked about this a little this last week, but I thought from day 1 that Wilson was let go because Glass knew what he had in Allen and didn't want to lose him.

Knowing he had a top tier guy already in house probably contributed. Wilson had other issues, some public and some not so public. I think it was just a combination of it all.

And looking at OSU now, Wilson didn't come out half bad either.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Knowing he had a top tier guy already in house probably contributed. Wilson had other issues, some public and some not so public. I think it was just a combination of it all.

And looking at OSU now, Wilson didn't come out half bad either.

I think if we didn't have somebody lined up, Wilson would have weathered the storm, but I think Glass was tired of all of his off the field crap.  However it happened, I couldn't be happier about it right now!

15 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree with this 100%.  Glass has hired at least 2 guys in Allen and Mercer who I think view IU as a destination job.  I love what both are bringing to the table and think long term stability will pay big dividends.

52 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I agree with this 100%.  Glass has hired at least 2 guys in Allen and Mercer who I think view IU as a destination job.  I love what both are bringing to the table and think long term stability will pay big dividends.

do you think if a school like auburn or florida st come calling allen will stay? i hope so but that would be hard to turn down

Kevin Wilson may have had skeletons but I give him credit for changing the attitude of the program.  He wasn’t afraid and he brought that perspective into the program.  The team went after bigger recruits and wasn’t afraid to tangle with the big boys.  He also knew the type of players to go after.  If you follow recruiting, Wilson instilled a sea change in the types of kids we went after.  The athleticism and rankings on the team went up.  It was very frustrating before that seeing essentially a defeatist attitude and a push for frankly a lot of MAC talent.  

Allen knows exactly what he’s looking for in football players and a roster as a whole. The results are bearing it out.  And we’ve got a lot of younger talent.  

26 minutes ago, coachv said:

do you think if a school like auburn or florida st come calling allen will stay? i hope so but that would be hard to turn down

I do.  Tom and Jeff are both Hoosiers by birth, and I think they both recognize the chance to create a legacy.....but, I've been wrong before, so there is that.

19 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Isn’t this Allen’s first time leading a bowl eligible program?  He was handed one bowl game with Kevin Wilson’s team.  He wasn’t the head coach that year.  Wilson did lead us to multiple bowls, along with McMillan and Mallory.  

McMillan was before the bowl Era. He does have a B10 title though.

And you are correct. Was trying to give Wilson his due, but forgot this is Allen's first time getting to 6. Post game exuberance took over.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think 99% of coaches in college football are more genuine than Fleck lol. Maybe not guys like Harbaugh and Kiffin lol. 

I think Harbaugh is more genuine than Fleck. Twice over, actually. He's quirky and a lot of Meechigan's fans don't help his cause, but I think what you see is what you get.

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I think Harbaugh is more genuine than Fleck. Twice over, actually. He's quirky and a lot of Meechigan's fans don't help his cause, but I think what you see is what you get.

Harbaugh just displays the whole "duality of man" concept, and does so on his sleeve. It comes off as contradictory or all over the place to a fault(especially with perceptions of things such as his level of good sportsmanship or allowing the extracurricular stuff at times) but definitely get what you see. Harbaugh is tough as nails plus passionate and they embody him when he is getting the kind of buy in he is looking for. Since he comes from such a well known visible sports family ,  you see more of the picture.. 

Fleck is a good coach, but seems more manufactured. In a society where people are also brands and products, sometimes that works out Lol . 

17 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You just went Carl Jung on me, didn't you?

That's a milestone even for HSN standards: from football to analytical psychology in under 3 posts.

I almost referenced "the Yin and the Yang" instead, FYI 😆

Football to ancient East Asian philosophy was the alterbate route.

16 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I almost referenced "the Yin and the Yang" instead, FYI 😆

Football to ancient East Asian philosophy was the alterbate route.

Now all I can picture is the old Monty Python sketch of the soccer match between the Greek and German philosophers with Confucius as the referee. 

Archived