The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

On 1/6/2020 at 7:30 AM, IU Scott said:

As for why shooting is way down and I think one of the reasons that the line was moved back.  I also don't know if kids growing up work on their outside shot as much as learning to drive the ball to the basketball and using their athletic ability.  Most team run the high ball screen to get the players an opening to get to the basket.  To me the ball screen bring s to many defenders to the ball and makes it easier to guard you. 

As for the college game I just think the talent level is way down because of kids leaving early for the pros.  It is harder for teams to build continuity and to me a team needs to build through the years to get better chemistry which leads to better play.  Also with so many transfers it is hard for that player to come right in and fill comfortable with their new team which leads to some bad offense.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up shooting being down.  Until this year when the line moved back, it had gone up 1% in the last 10 years.  Before that, the 3 point line was a foot shorter, so percentages were slightly higher, but last year matched the year prior to moving it to 20' 9".  It only makes sense that they would be down this year (about 2%) with the line moving back almost a foot and a half.

That is to go along with a substantial increase in the amount of threes being shot recently.  Usually, when frequency increases, percentage will decrease.  It used to be that only the best shooters were shooting a lot of threes, but now there are a ton of guys that shoot them.  There are also some worse quality shots being taken due to the importance placed on the 3.  The thought that a lot of shooters now are not good is just incorrect.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprises aren't surprises anymore.

Ohio St loses again and boy wonder 2.0 is staring at 2-5 with road trips coming to us and Penn St in next week. Iowa loses again to start 1-3. Don't like our losses but stacked up against college hoops....not as bad as what's going on nationally. Virginia is a tough one to figure out too.

I think the NCAA Tourney Committee would have better luck just drawing names this year.

9 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Did I just hear Dakich say Bobbby Knight is rumored to be at Assembly Hall for the OSU game?

Someone mentioned in the Coach Knight thread that a poster on another site was saying the OSU game there was a chance.  Could be a case where Dakich and Leary are reading message boards for scoops.  Lol.  Or maybe it's true.  

The obvious OSU connection makes sense.  Although to me I'd think a low key game without the big spotlight would be more likely.  At any rate lets all hope he shows up soon.

Go Hoosiers!!!  

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

Someone mentioned in the Coach Knight thread that a poster on another site was saying the OSU game there was a chance.  Could be a case where Dakich and Leary are reading message boards for scoops.  Lol.  Or maybe it's true.  

The obvious OSU connection makes sense.  Although to me I'd think a low key game without the big spotlight would be more likely.  At any rate lets all hope he shows up soon.

Go Hoosiers!!!  

Have no date to back it up but I swear some of those guys come to boards like this daily and pick and choose the information they might share. The IU/Ohio St has always been the game that made the most sense since Knight moved back to Bloomington this fall. Nothing earth shattering there. So either the radio guys are finally getting around to saying it.....or news is leaking out from elsewhere.

Either way. Will be a nice moment and one I'll remember but right now my focus is this team.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ohio St loses again and boy wonder 2.0 is staring at 2-5 with road trips coming to us and Penn St in next week. Iowa loses again to start 1-3. Don't like our losses but stacked up against college hoops....not as bad as what's going on nationally. Virginia is a tough one to figure out too.

I think the NCAA Tourney Committee would have better luck just drawing names this year.

UVa is a head scratcher for sure.  But then again that is the way this season has went for a lot of teams.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

UVa is a head scratcher for sure.  But then again that is the way this season has went for a lot of teams.

And BC had 2-3 starters out I believe. 

Bennett has enough equity so this year may not matter much but so far.....has to be one of his worse teams during his tenure. When all done come March you could see Virginia in the 40's/50's ranking wise. That team just isn't good. On the other hand....the team we depantsed in Florida St is good and getting top 8 good. That win for us will payoff huge down the road.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And BC had 2-3 starters out I believe. 

Bennett has enough equity so this year may not matter much but so far.....has to be one of his worse teams during his tenure. When all done come March you could see Virginia in the 40's/50's ranking wise. That team just isn't good. On the other hand....the team we depantsed in Florida St is good and getting top 8 good. That win for us will payoff huge down the road.

I do believe BC was down 3 guys...think the Eagles got beat by 40 in their last game to Duke.  TBH, I think the Cavs will struggle to get in(sound familiar?).  Yep, that FSU win is looking pretty dang good right now.

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rutgers over PSU 72-61. 

I watched a bit of that game. Both teams will give you a fight.

That said, for Chrissakes how many years had Mike Watkins been at Penn State? When they said he was a senior, I was thinking AARP type...

I think he was a freshman Jess Settles last year at Iowa...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched a bit of that game. Both teams will give you a fight.

That said, for Chrissakes how many years had Mike Watkins been at Penn State? When they said he was a senior, I was thinking AARP type...

I think he was a freshman Jess Settles last year at Iowa...

Growing up we always referred to it as Jeff Lebo disease. I swear he played at Carolina for a decade and while he didn't play as long as others it just felt like he did. 

35 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rutgers now 3-1 in conference. The assumption Rutgers is not good doesn’t fit this season. B1G is a bruising conference especially on the road this year. Our guys need to bring the fight in every game 

All I know is that all the B1G teams that make the NCAAT will be battle tested and then some.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Absolutely, the Bucknuts are regressing.  Showing no improvement.  Something must be wrong with Carton.  Yada, yada, yada...

Yup how could this happen in year 3?! Better just get him out now and start over it’s obvious his offense is awful. He is in way over his head.. all the other times he went to the NCAA tourney were flukes..

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Ohio St loses again and boy wonder 2.0 is staring at 2-5 with road trips coming to us and Penn St in next week.

Muhammad, Washington and Walker combined were 0-15 from three. OSU as a team was 5-27. Only stat I need to see anymore is which team made more 3s. MD had 8, OSU 5.

In GA's loss to KY last night they were 5-23 from 3 (KY was 6-12). In the win over Memphis, they were 10-22. Memphis was 7-22 and lost by 3.

Villanova beat Creighton by shooting 6-33 from 3 (Samuels and Moore combined were 0-14) versus the Blue Jays 3-14. Both teams had 12 made FTs. Villanova had 23 made field goals vs 22 for Creighton. So despite shooting 18% from 3, and <38% overall, Vill won by 5 due to three more made 3s.

While TX Tech was an exception last night, making more 3s than Baylor in a loss, they were 5-12 FTs. Baylor won by shooting a sizzling 9-17 FTs.

The college basketball product is becoming unwatchable.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Muhammad, Washington and Walker combined were 0-15 from three. OSU as a team was 5-27. Only stat I need to see anymore is which team made more 3s. MD had 8, OSU 5.

In GA's loss to KY last night they were 5-23 from 3 (KY was 6-12). In the win over Memphis, they were 10-22. Memphis was 7-22 and lost by 3.

Villanova beat Creighton by shooting 6-33 from 3 (Samuels and Moore combined were 0-14) versus the Blue Jays 3-14. Both teams had 12 made FTs. Villanova had 23 made field goals vs 22 for Creighton. So despite shooting 18% from 3, and <38% overall, Vill won by 5 due to three more made 3s.

While TX Tech was an exception last night, making more 3s than Baylor in a loss, they were 5-12 FTs. Baylor won by shooting a sizzling 9-17 FTs.

The college basketball product is becoming unwatchable.

Thanks for the break down.  Interesting stuff for sure.

29 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I get all the tongue in cheek comments regarding Holtman and CAM.  I try not to worry or compare other coaches outside of ours. At this point the product we put on the floor does not pass the eye test. 

Eye test?  But what do the analytics say?  Geez.  They tell me 11-3 with a loss to a ranked team and 2 others to teams receiving votes.  LOL

Archived