The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, rico said:

RSing Newman a bad thing?

In hindsight, yeah. But I’m guessing Painter liked what he saw out of Proctor and Eastern and could afford to redshirt Newman. Proctor started off well but has fallen off and Eastern still has his head up his ass. He’s probably thinking it’s not worth it to burn his redshirt halfway through the season now you know? The rumors were that Newman had been struggling with the playbook/defensive concepts so I’m okay with him redshirting. 

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

In hindsight, yeah. But I’m guessing Painter liked what he saw out of Proctor and Eastern and could afford to redshirt Newman. Proctor started off well but has fallen off and Eastern still has his head up his ass. He’s probably thinking it’s not worth it to burn his redshirt halfway through the season now you know? The rumors were that Newman had been struggling with the playbook/defensive concepts so I’m okay with him redshirting. 

I'm gonna guess he's also working on his shot release since that was a weakness in his strength...good shooter, but low release.  If he raises that some and maintains/improves his accuracy, he could be deadly from outside.

If I were Newman, I'd be fine with sitting this rebuild year out.  I think TwinDegrees is about the only one still thinking they'll come around like last year.

Watching Iowa-Maryland from Iowa City. Iowa by 14 at the half. Joel Wieskamp (4-5) has been unconscious from 3.

But Luka Garza is the guy. Jalen Smith blocked his first 2 or 3 shots, but Garza kept plugging away. 14 points at the half. The guy has the best motor I've seen in quite some time.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Watching Iowa-Maryland from Iowa City. Iowa by 14 at the half. Joel Wieskamp (4-5) has been unconscious from 3.

But Luka Garza is the guy. Jalen Smith blocked his first 2 or 3 shots, but Garza kept plugging away. 14 points at the half. The guy has the best motor I've seen in quite some time.

I wish we could blow out a good B1G team at home.  We used to do it quite often.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm gonna guess he's also working on his shot release since that was a weakness in his strength...good shooter, but low release.  If he raises that some and maintains/improves his accuracy, he could be deadly from outside.

If I were Newman, I'd be fine with sitting this rebuild year out.  I think TwinDegrees is about the only one still thinking they'll come around like last year.

Painter clearly has a vision and plan for the program. That run last year will earn him a ton of leeway with administration. He knew this was a rebuilding year and is looking 2-3 years down the road....he can afford to have a couple down years (yet probably still have a shot at tournament) before reloading with a vet team to make a run at another S16 conference championship.

5 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Kind of puts things in perspective, like how difficult the Big10 is. Maryland is talented and they just got whipped on the road. Maybe we should relax just a tad.... 

I'm as relaxed as Jim Mora talking about playoffs.  

22 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Butler won at Providence 70-58 despite 17 TOs and only 6 assists. Providence missed their first 13 shots and didn't score in first 6-1/2 minutes.

Still amazing how many missed on this team. I think they were picked 8th in own conference preseason rankings. Really like Tucker. More as a person I think. Here's a kid who Crean was hot after. Offered by Duke. He accepted immediately and sat on the bench. Chose Butler and doesn't mind one bit coming off the bench because he knows he'll get his 20-25 minutes every night. Refreshing. 

25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Butler won at Providence 70-58 despite 17 TOs and only 6 assists. Providence missed their first 13 shots and didn't score in first 6-1/2 minutes.

I would say the Dawgs are comfortably in the tournament...good squad.

Archived