The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I can remeber the B10 having  more dominant teams than we do this year. But I have never seen it this deep. I have never seen any conference this deep in any year. 

To say it is a grind or gauntlet does not even beging to describe it. Every single game seems like a  cion flip in conference play for every team.

Would not be shocked at all to see Purdue beat MSU today.

Big East before the split put 11 or 12 in the tourney one year.  And if I remember correctly had at least 2 title contenders.  

40 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

On that note, if MSU does win today, they may start separating themselves a bit, from the field.

Then again, in this conference anybody can drop 3 out of 4 at any stretch.

Fun to watch. Has to be daunting for the coaches.

This is kind of where I'm at. I don't think us or anyone is catching Sparty so why not have someone in the same collective 8-9 teams tier like Purdue lose. Plus...it's never a bad when Purdue loses. 

16 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Gonzaga now has 35 straight conference road wins. Wonder how that would play in the B1G?

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

He wouldn't have 3

Gonzaga's KenPom SoS is 241. Rutgers has weakest SoS in B1G at 73. IU is 66. B1G average SoS is 28.

And...Gonzaga's one loss: 82-64 to MI.

Some other notables:

LVille 82  13-3

Auburn 111   15-0

KY 138    12-3

TX Tch 146    10-5

Memphis 197     12-3

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Gonzaga's KenPom SoS is 241. Rutgers has weakest SoS in B1G at 73. IU is 66. B1G average SoS is 28.

Some other notables:

LVille 82  13-3

Auburn 111   15-0

KY 138    12-3

TX Tch 146    10-5

Memphis 197     12-3

The NCAA kind of has a way of suggesting while not mandating teams do something with schedules or honestly even their conference affiliation. To me I get why Few has stayed at Gonzaga....but one thing I've always thought would be such a good fit is Gonzaga joining Pac 12 in hoops. Maybe seeding Gonzaga at a 3 or 4 might motivate them a bit? SOS of 241 isn't deserving of any 1 or 2 line in my book. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't decide which record is more surprising to me. Ohio St at 1-4 and in last place or Illinois at 4-2 sitting in 2nd. Ohio St schedule hasn't done them any favors since UK win. Technically they haven't had what i would call a bad loss unless Wiscy at home is one. On the other side Illinois won at Wisconsin and basically just holding serve at home. 

I'll lean with Ohio St being more surprising to me. Both teams will level themselves out a bit....I see Illinois has another home game vs NW but after that they have 6-7 games where some L's will be coming.

I was talking about this with my dad who’s an Illini fan the other day.  He’s pretty stoked on them right now, and I think rightfully so.  I think they could easily go something like 9-5 over the rest of the season to get to 21-10 (13-7 in conference).  Sweep Northwestern, split away games at Purdue and Michigan, beat Minnesota at home, split with Iowa, split home games against Maryland and MSU, split road games at PSU and Rutgers, beat IU and Nebraska at home, lose at OSU.  That would probably put them in the top 5 in the conference and safely in the tournament.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was talking about this with my dad who’s an Illini fan the other day.  He’s pretty stoked on them right now, and I think rightfully so.  I think they could easily go something like 9-5 over the rest of the season to get to 21-10 (13-7 in conference).  Sweep Northwestern, split away games at Purdue and Michigan, beat Minnesota at home, split with Iowa, split home games against Maryland and MSU, split road games at PSU and Rutgers, beat IU and Nebraska at home, lose at OSU.  That would probably put them in the top 5 in the conference and safely in the tournament.

Credit to Underwood for adapting their style of play. He dropped the pressing, aggressive defense that had everyone in foul trouble last year. They are playing solid defense without fouling near as much.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The NCAA kind of has a way of suggesting while not mandating teams do something with schedules or honestly even their conference affiliation. To me I get why Few has stayed at Gonzaga....but one thing I've always thought would be such a good fit is Gonzaga joining Pac 12 in hoops. Maybe seeding Gonzaga at a 3 or 4 might motivate them a bit? SOS of 241 isn't deserving of any 1 or 2 line in my book. 

No way the PAC 12 takes in a non-football school.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't think Roy is leaving unless he decides it's time for himself. As others have said...great recruiting class coming in. When the time does come I believe they go family route like Jerry Stackhouse......or make a run at Donovan.

That's what I'm saying though...the guy looks like coaching is no longer fun for him...

I'd never promote Williams as a bastion of pureity after the crap about UNC and bogus classes, but I think he has some degree of loyalty to UNC...I remember when he was at Kansas and Dean Smith stepped down...after Gutheridge got hired, someone asked him if he was disappointed...

He said no, that Gutheridge deserved the job, and he would have thought less of UNC if they'd hired anybody else...

I just think if he believes he can't give UNC basketball his full devotion, he's out...regardless of what kind of class they have coming in...

Archived