IU vs Western Illinois pre-game thread

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Was gonna start a thread to address this, but, this seems like a good spot:

Have there been indications, one way or the other, regarding injuries to our thin backcourt?

Not that I’ve seen but I would say that it’ll probably get brought up during the Radio show with Fisch tomorrow night.

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Western Illinois plays their home games in a 5,139 seat arena.  Smaller than several high school arenas in Indiana.

At least a dozen, even if you don't count the mothballed Wigwam.  Hell, there's some in Illinois that approach that size.  Really stretching the old memory bank here, but I think Joliet Central has a gym that seats 4500.

Western Illinois top player is Kobe Webster, a Park Tudor alum. Shot 41% from behind the arc and averaged 17 per game.

Senior guard CJ Duff averaged 11 per and shot 43% from 3.

They seem guard oriented from highlights I watched and looking at stats. One front court player to watch is soph Ben Pyle. Averaged 9 per as a freshman. 

They do have some size, but it looks to be inexperienced, either incoming JuCos or freshmen. Finished 10-21 last year and picked 7th in the Summit League this year.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m sure Western can use the paycheck for this game. 

Overall enrollment at Western dropped from 11,094 in 2015 to 8,502 last fall, more than a 23 percent decline.

Freshman enrollment is down 40% since 2016

They’ve been laying off faculty & staff

That's extreme.  There has to be a serious underlying factor involved.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

For the first time, I’m contemplating getting Big Ten+. I usually don’t mind missing 1-2 of the early games, but usually they’re not consecutive games on +, so missing one isn’t a big deal. Not sure I can wait until the 17th for the first TV game. 

Go for it. Currently the Portland State game after Western Illinois is also scheduled for BTN+

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

For the first time, I’m contemplating getting Big Ten+. I usually don’t mind missing 1-2 of the early games, but usually they’re not consecutive games on +, so missing one isn’t a big deal. Not sure I can wait until the 17th for the first TV game. 

I can't do it.  It is just a money grab from the Big Ten. We already pay extra for that channel and they have overflow channels they show the football games on.  I'm not dropping $10 extra to watch what amounts to a glorified exhibition game.  I'm really pretty annoyed at the amount of BT+ games we have this year.

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m sure Western can use the paycheck for this game. 

Overall enrollment at Western dropped from 11,094 in 2015 to 8,502 last fall, more than a 23 percent decline.

Freshman enrollment is down 40% since 2016

They’ve been laying off faculty & staff

Can't imagine a school in Illinois having enrollment problems. Shocking. Haha.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That's extreme.  There has to be a serious underlying factor involved.  

No, there were/are many:

1) governor doesn't fund higher ed for 2 years

2) incompetent president and middle-management

3) a hostile and antagonistic contract negotiation

4) a board of trustees that want(ed) to shutter as much in the major campus to promote expensive growth/hiring at the satellite campus.

1, half of 2, 3, and four are over.

27 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

No, there were/are many:

1) governor doesn't fund higher ed for 2 years

2) incompetent president and middle-management

3) a hostile and antagonistic contract negotiation

4) a board of trustees that want(ed) to shutter as much in the major campus to promote expensive growth/hiring at the satellite campus.

1, half of 2, 3, and four are over.

You're closer to it, but here's a few things I gleaned...

1. Illinois, in general, is a dumpster fire government...lots of corruption and incompetence
  2. Aggressive tuition increases are probably the largest cause.  Cause of these aggressive tuition increases are likely many of the factors you laid out.
  3. Sounds like they are struggling to offer the kind of education students are looking for...just not much solid demand in many liberal arts majors today.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're closer to it, but here's a few things I gleaned...

1. Illinois, in general, is a dumpster fire government...lots of corruption and incompetence
  2. Aggressive tuition increases are probably the largest cause.  Cause of these aggressive tuition increases are likely many of the factors you laid out.
  3. Sounds like they are struggling to offer the kind of education students are looking for...just not much solid demand in many liberal arts majors today.

Most of what you say is correct for Illinois in general, but not the specific circumstance at Western. Here are some links that should elaborate my points above (if interested):

https://www.tspr.org/post/wiu-faculty-vote-no-confidence-administrative-leadership

https://www.tspr.org/post/budgetary-tale-two-campuses

https://www.tspr.org/post/wiu-faculty-wants-board-trustees-release-closed-session-minutes

Take a look at the picture in the last story (from last November). Everyone in that picture is gone.

5 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Most of what you say is correct for Illinois in general, but not the specific circumstance at Western. Here are some links that should elaborate my points above (if interested):

https://www.tspr.org/post/wiu-faculty-vote-no-confidence-administrative-leadership

https://www.tspr.org/post/budgetary-tale-two-campuses

https://www.tspr.org/post/wiu-faculty-wants-board-trustees-release-closed-session-minutes

Take a look at the picture in the last story (from last November). Everyone in that picture is gone.

That's crazy.  Lots of problems there...they'd better turn that ship around quickly or they are toast.  Appreciate the insight...as I acknowledged earlier, you are a lot closer to the situation than I am.  Hope you're not adversely affected by the turmoil.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That's crazy.  Lots of problems there...they'd better turn that ship around quickly or they are toast.  Appreciate the insight...as I acknowledged earlier, you are a lot closer to the situation than I am.  Hope you're not adversely affected by the turmoil.

Thanks. I'm not (too much), but some of my friends are.

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

Usually you can watch the replay soon after if you don't want to pony up the $. I watched the replay vs. Gannon on Friday after work (I dvr'd when it aired at 9am Friday). Not sure if the 2-3 remaining BTN+ games are going to be replayed or not though.

Archived