Ed Smith at it again

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

35 MIN, 4 Pts, 6 Reb, 2-10, 0-1FT, 1 BLK, 1 STEAL, 1 TO!!!!  

He played really good defense..but that doesn't show up in the box score. Sure I wish the kid would have knocked down a few more of his looks but they just didn't go in. That said we need every bit of what he provided and would not have won the game without him. Wasn't his finest game but he has brought energy all year and is playing hard.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

No complaints at all with what Justin has provided this season.  He is a vital part of the team and we would not be anywhere close to 11-1 without him.  I just wish Dad would not use social media to stir things up.  

Even if I don't disagree with anything he (Ed) is saying necessarily my only wish is we could separate the kid from people's criticism of the dad. From last year to this year I personally just feel Justin has taken a lot of unwarranted flack and negativity simply because people don't like what his dad is saying. Criticism of his performance etc is one thing but it seems people want to pile on him just because of his dad and take personal shots at his kid. I just wish we could look at Justin as any other kid on the team despite what people feel about his dad. I know it's hard to separate feelings but I think Justin has played better this year so far and has really given us a lift.

I wish Justin Smith was as good as we think he should be.  Unfortunately he isn't.  He had terrible hands and can't shoot from the outside. He is playing too far from the rim with Brunk and TJD on the blocks.  He hasn't shown to have grown from last year you this year.  Some kids don't and that is just what it is.  He is a good defender who had helped us win games but he isn't going to be the guy to take over abs win games for us most of the year.

Time to accept what he is and move forward

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I wish Justin Smith was as good as we think he should be.  Unfortunately he isn't.  He had terrible hands and can't shoot from the outside. He is playing too far from the rim with Brunk and TJD on the blocks.  He hasn't shown to have grown from last year you this year.  Some kids don't and that is just what it is.  He is a good defender who had helped us win games but he isn't going to be the guy to take over abs win games for us most of the year.

His dad is not doing him any favors.  I've said it before. Justin is caught in between.  He needs to be listening to his coach, and not his dad. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

His dad is not doing him any favors.  I've said it before. Justin is caught in between.  He needs to be listening to his coach, and not his dad. 

Ed Smith didn't do anything wrong with this tweet.  He is an Illinois alumni and having a discussion.  He loves this team and it shows with his enthusiasm in the stands.  

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Maybe you described the problem. Playing too far from the rim. That is always where he played best. Not enough space for the 3 of them so that takes away what he does best.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Couldnt disagree more.

12 PPG, 50% shooting, and 5 rebounds a game.

Start finishing in the paint, he’s a guy who could put up 20 in a game consistently.

17 hours ago, JugRox said:

Couldnt disagree more.

12 PPG, 50% shooting, and 5 rebounds a game.

Start finishing in the paint, he’s a guy who could put up 20 in a game consistently.

Going to have to agree to disagree.  And I am not saying he is bad.  He just isn't as good as everyone thinks he could be.  And he is never going to average 20 a game.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Going to have to agree to disagree.  And I am not saying he is bad.  He just isn't as good as everyone thinks he could be.  And he is never going to average 20 a game.

Truth in the balance.  If he could hit a three at 40% the kid would be a pro.  I don't know that he loves basketball enough to Oladipo himself to be that good. 

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Truth in the balance.  If he could hit a three at 40% the kid would be a pro.  I don't know that he loves basketball enough to Oladipo himself to be that good. 

Smith was a much different player than Oladipo in High School.  For clarification both are top athletes; however, there was one main difference Oladipo has always shown a ticker that does not stop.  Justin was always being pushed to play harder.  Justin has turned that corner, in games at least.  Oladipo was always known as a defensive player and that is how he got his minutes in high school, Smith was not.   Justin is arguably the top defender on this team, and that shows the work he put in and ability to change his mindset.  He cares and the next step is his shot.  He has one off the cameras and needs to get it going in games.  To me is going to be part of his maturity and growth.  There is no doubt that he can one day turn it on and get it going.  Sometimes he overthinks the game.  

He is one of the most improved players at IU that we have seen in a long time.  We still have half of this season and his Senior year to continue to watch him grow.  

It is clear that Archie trusts him and wants him on the floor.  Would love to see him slash more while he is finding his game shot.  

33 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Smith was a much different player than Oladipo in High School.  For clarification both are top athletes; however, there was one main difference Oladipo has always shown a ticker that does not stop.  Justin was always being pushed to play harder.  Justin has turned that corner, in games at least.  Oladipo was always known as a defensive player and that is how he got his minutes in high school, Smith was not.   Justin is arguably the top defender on this team, and that shows the work he put in and ability to change his mindset.  He cares and the next step is his shot.  He has one off the cameras and needs to get it going in games.  To me is going to be part of his maturity and growth.  There is no doubt that he can one day turn it on and get it going.  Sometimes he overthinks the game.  

He is one of the most improved players at IU that we have seen in a long time.  We still have half of this season and his Senior year to continue to watch him grow.  

It is clear that Archie trusts him and wants him on the floor.  Would love to see him slash more while he is finding his game shot.  

I remember the evolution Watford went through at IU.  Justin's still got a lot of time to improve and he has clearly improved.  I stand by my comment about the 3 point shot and NBA.  I'm not saying it's not possible.  He has the attributes physically.  He's what, 21 years old.  And im in no way comparing him and Vic's game.  To Oladipo oneself they must become psychotic about the game of basketball and work long hours, many by themself in order to go beyond one's own natural ability.  Smith is just scratching the surface of natural ability at this time.  His story remains to be written.  

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I remember the evolution Watford went through at IU.  Justin's still got a lot of time to improve and he has clearly improved.  I stand by my comment about the 3 point shot and NBA.  I'm not saying it's not possible.  He has the attributes physically.  He's what, 21 years old.  And im in no way comparing him and Vic's game.  To Oladipo oneself they must become psychotic about the game of basketball and work long hours, many by themself in order to go beyond one's own natural ability.  Smith is just scratching the surface of natural ability at this time.  His story remains to be written.  

For sure!  Hopefully that will come, and if it does this team right now would be elite.  Wish he would take a little arc off his ball and use his wrist more on the shot.  Not Bracey flat :) Catch and shoot JS!

Archived