Ed Smith at it again

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see some examples of what Mr Smith is referencing...I know some of our fans can cross the line but saying something like "Justin doesn't have good hands, and isn't a good outside shooter" isn't criticism of Justin as a kid, just an opinion on his basketball skills based on what we see...

Social media is relatively new, and I think some of the people in my generation need to understand that any idiot with a keyboard can and do post things simply as attention getters, while shielded by the anonymity the internet provides. 

Sometimes the cost of being in the spotlight is absorbing the heat it generates...

Suggestion to parents of players, if you find the social media feed to be bothersome don't read it during the season. I wouldn't like it if it was my child either, but I also wouldn't read it.  Sadly social media provides an opportunity for fans to vent, and some aren't so pleasant. Unfortunately that loud mouth negative poster sticks out more to this parent than the dozens of fans who want a picture with Justin after a game. Dad, turn off the social media noise and enjoy the season.

Some guys just get bored with normal. The old fable of the scorpion and frog applies. My guess given the time of day when he tweeted was he had a few holiday pops in him and didn't think anyone would see it. 

Otherwise I have no issue with his statement. Some of the stuff I see is brutal....but I don't think a players parent with a history of running his trap should be saying it. 

52 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

So, fill me in here...what is the back story?

Long story short is last year he was venting about his kid not being able to get any shots. Said only 2 players for IU could shoot the ball (Romeo and Morgan). The timing of his tweets last year and subsequent long losing streak, appearance of Justin not being interested/lackadaisical play.....seemed to coincide. 

Basically Justin's Dad has a mouth and uses twitter to voice that. No different than most but the problem is most parents with kids on teams don't say it out loud....unless of course your Nojel Eastern's Mom.

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

First of all he's absolutely right. 

Second of all.. delete your Twitter, duh? 

Fwiw this is kind of how I feel. 

This tweet is not like last year’s. This is just one message board, some of the things posted by fans about these players / college kids are just pathetic, things no one would say to the kid’s face. Yogi’s mom used to tweet in frustration too — and this one is more like hers. It’s easy to say parents of the kids should just shut up, but in fairness there are a lot of “fans” who should learn a little bit about basic decency. 

I would tell Mr Smith to ignore the idiots out there, and like Yogi’s mom learn to step away and let your kid handle his business on the court — especially considering Smith is having a good season — but he’s not wrong, the things some of the stupid fans say on message boards. 

7 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

I'm sure Kentucky's social media is pretty interesting these days.

He (Smith Sr.) may be correct if the only comparison is to UI.  I mean, they don't have nearly the fan base or intensity about basketball as IU.  The more fans, the more a-holes that will post on social media and I'd guess that whatever he's seeing would be amateurish compared to UK.  It comes with the territory.

It gets brought up a lot, so I'm going to weigh in on the whole IU fans/social media thing.  Places like twitter are full of "internet tough guys" that have to express their childish, over the top, opinions.  It's really unwise for a player or parent to get caught up in that crap.  There are legitimate uses for twitter, I guess, but as a forum for anonymous commenting it's a cesspool.

I don't know who these "fans" are that act like idiots, I'm not one of them and I doubt the fine posters on this and a couple of other message boards aren't either (sans the Scout site).  It stinks that this minority of people, who ever they are, can sully the reputation of an entire fan base, but there is nothing that anybody can do about it (unfortunately).  If anyone thinks asinine behavior is exclusive to the IU fanbase, just look at places like GBI open forum, just a different version of the IU (Scout) forum.  But again, fewer fans means less of the garbage.

Aside from the clowns on twitter, there is sometimes another form of criticism about our fanbase (generally from programs that haven't achieved our level or success or stature).  Typically it's about our "delusions", "arrogance", "entitlement", etc..  I suppose I can see how those opposing fans could feel that way,  IMO it's based partly in reality and partly in their envy.  Good or bad, I don't feel any shame or embarrassment about such accusations.  The exact same things are said about the fanbases of almost every traditionally successful program in any sport (amateur or professional).

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Speaking of Nojel's mama, things have gotten pretty ugly over at GBI with Nojel's shooting woes. Nojel's mama is probably the only person left who still thinks he has a shot at the NBA...

Had to go check it out for myself.  That is brutal, kinda feel sorry for her, but she brings it on herself.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'd like to see some examples of what Mr Smith is referencing...I know some of our fans can cross the line but saying something like "Justin doesn't have good hands, and isn't a good outside shooter" isn't criticism of Justin as a kid, just an opinion on his basketball skills based on what we see...

Social media is relatively new, and I think some of the people in my generation need to understand that any idiot with a keyboard can and do post things simply as attention getters, while shielded by the anonymity the internet provides. 

Sometimes the cost of being in the spotlight is absorbing the heat it generates...

Do you visit other boards or follow IU on twitter...I stopped because the negativity was just too much...and the PERSONAL attacks on coaches and players were just disturbing. This board is so well run and so sheltered compared to what you see elsewhere....it's like a haven for good clean basketball conversation. The world that Mr. Smith is probably familiar with and following...it's a cesspool. He isn't wrong...although I'd argue it's bad everywhere...bigger fanbase just means more negativity when bad things happen and more positivity when good does. IU>UI....but UK>IU...it's just the way it is. If I was to give him advice it would be to stay away from social media. I know we love it...but if you don't have thick skin...it will disturb you.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you visit other boards or follow IU on twitter...I stopped because the negativity was just too much...and the PERSONAL attacks on coaches and players were just disturbing. This board is so well run and so sheltered compared to what you see elsewhere....it's like a haven for good clean basketball conversation. The world that Mr. Smith is probably familiar with and following...it's a cesspool. He isn't wrong...although I'd argue it's bad everywhere...bigger fanbase just means more negativity when bad things happen and more positivity when good does. IU>UI....but UK>IU...it's just the way it is. If I was to give him advice it would be to stay away from social media. I know we love it...but if you don't have thick skin...it will disturb you.

Mr. Smith said nothing wrong and nothing non factual.  I will say this, all three boards that I know of have 3-4 individuals who flood negativity.  And then there are the same defending.  Outcome never changes.  You have to be a super hero with amazing powere to not have emotions with it.  Davis bunckered in his house, Crean went off twitter completely at IU (he is back on now).  Etc.  I don't care who you are it is taxing and will play head games.  

Archived