Ed Smith at it again

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If I was to give him advice it would be to stay away from social media. I know we love it...but if you don't have thick skin...it will disturb you.

There are plenty of idiots out here in the real world. I don't need to try to find more on Twitter, Facebook, or any of that ilk.

I refuse to use social media. Never have, never will.  Email, phone, and direct conversation do quite well for me. If I were a coach, I'd try to prohibit the guys from using social media, to reduce the noise level. (and my skin is plenty thick...)

But for those of you who like it...have at it! I just don't have any interest in it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Long story short is last year he was venting about his kid not being able to get any shots. Said only 2 players for IU could shoot the ball (Romeo and Morgan). The timing of his tweets last year and subsequent long losing streak, appearance of Justin not being interested/lackadaisical play.....seemed to coincide. 

Basically Justin's Dad has a mouth and uses twitter to voice that. No different than most but the problem is most parents with kids on teams don't say it out loud....unless of course your Nojel Eastern's Mom.

I have a question (not trying to argue)...do you think he was totally wrong with his accessment of some of the issues we faced on offense last year? Let's just take away the fact that he was Justin's dad....and he wasn't even calling for Justin specifically to get more shots...just that he thought the ball wasn't moving on offense and that the team was too reliant on 2 people to do all the scoring...we look so much more balanced this year and the ball really moves well at times. There is no doubt we played completely different last year. Even if you somewhat disagree with his point you can see he DID have a point. Now..the argument was we didn't have others with the ability to shoot and score etc...but what he was seeing...he was right...the ball stuck last year...only two guys were having a majority of the offense ran through and for...and we didn't fair well when the B1G teams keyed on that and we went through a losing streak. Perhaps the losing streak coincided with the fact of what he saw...and not some conspiracy that a parents tweet caused such turmoil with the team that we went on a losing streak.

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

There are plenty of idiots out here in the real world. I don't need to try to find more on Twitter, Facebook, or any of that ilk.

I refuse to use social media. Never have, never will.  Email, phone, and direct conversation do quite well for me. If I were a coach, I'd try to prohibit the guys from using social media, to reduce the noise level. (and my skin is plenty thick...)

But for those of you who like it...have at it! I just don't have any interest in it.

Well...this is one version of social media...but yes the popular twitter etc no doubt I don't follow.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well...this is one version of social media...

I guess you're right dg, but I view this board as more of a private club, or fraternity, than social media. But everyone interprets things differently, which is fine. It's what makes the world go round.

54 minutes ago, DWB said:

I guess you're right dg, but I view this board as more of a private club, or fraternity, than social media. But everyone interprets things differently, which is fine. It's what makes the world go round.

It is also moderated - proactively (not just on complaints about posts).

3 hours ago, GrangerHoosier said:

I'm sure Kentucky's social media is pretty interesting these days.

Just a random sample

CalipariCapo Freshman

bookerfan66 said:
The thing is that most of them will leave anyway.
Yep. And this is the reason that A LOT of fans are becoming apathetic towards U.K./college basketball. The players don’t give a rats ass about college ball, why should the fans?

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Do you visit other boards or follow IU on twitter...I stopped because the negativity was just too much...and the PERSONAL attacks on coaches and players were just disturbing. This board is so well run and so sheltered compared to what you see elsewhere....it's like a haven for good clean basketball conversation. The world that Mr. Smith is probably familiar with and following...it's a cesspool. He isn't wrong...although I'd argue it's bad everywhere...bigger fanbase just means more negativity when bad things happen and more positivity when good does. IU>UI....but UK>IU...it's just the way it is. If I was to give him advice it would be to stay away from social media. I know we love it...but if you don't have thick skin...it will disturb you.

I look at other boards, specifically Rivals, once in a great while, and I don't visit Twitter unless someone posts a link here, but I hear what you're saying. I just wonder sometimes how many are really IU fans and how many are just agitators...

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just a random sample

CalipariCapo Freshman

bookerfan66 said:
The thing is that most of them will leave anyway.
Yep. And this is the reason that A LOT of fans are becoming apathetic towards U.K./college basketball. The players don’t give a rats ass about college ball, why should the fans?

Their fanbase is no worse than ours. 

RMK didnt give a public statement about patience with Archie for no reason.

He knows our fanbase eats our own, and we can be our own worst enemy!

IU, UK, and Miami football fans are at the top of the heap when it comes to ruthless college fans.

We were getting called out on National Television,  by multiple broadcasters.  This forum isnt a good representation of what every other social media outlet is like.

I agree, parents should stay off twitter and junk like that. Its a bad look, and nothing positive can come from it

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Do you visit other boards or follow IU on twitter...I stopped because the negativity was just too much...and the PERSONAL attacks on coaches and players were just disturbing. This board is so well run and so sheltered compared to what you see elsewhere....it's like a haven for good clean basketball conversation. The world that Mr. Smith is probably familiar with and following...it's a cesspool. He isn't wrong...although I'd argue it's bad everywhere...bigger fanbase just means more negativity when bad things happen and more positivity when good does. IU>UI....but UK>IU...it's just the way it is. If I was to give him advice it would be to stay away from social media. I know we love it...but if you don't have thick skin...it will disturb you.

I am not on twitter but I do know our rivals board is a cesspool and if players or their families go there I know they would see the worse of this fan base.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Speaking of Nojel's mama, things have gotten pretty ugly over at GBI with Nojel's shooting woes. Nojel's mama is probably the only person left who still thinks he has a shot at the NBA...

Not true.  I think he has a .000000000000000000000000000000000000165 chance at the NBA.

No, no, Mr. Smith. You’re right, we, the terrible fans, who contribute wholly to your son’s ability to receive a top flight education for free, and work to better himself on a significant platform for *potentially* playing at the next level, are to blame for all of the issues you and your son are having with his stunted development.

Too far?

This tweet does not bother. At least not like what he did last year. 

Last year he made comments about our coach, interworking of the team etc. That crosses a line imo.

This, he is saying IU has some whack fans, which every fan base does.

Big difference. 

Regardless, as a parent of a player at a high profile program, my advice is just stay off social media. It serves no good purpose, and of course you will react emotionally about your kid. Just stay away.  

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I have a question (not trying to argue)...do you think he was totally wrong with his accessment of some of the issues we faced on offense last year? Let's just take away the fact that he was Justin's dad....and he wasn't even calling for Justin specifically to get more shots...just that he thought the ball wasn't moving on offense and that the team was too reliant on 2 people to do all the scoring...we look so much more balanced this year and the ball really moves well at times. There is no doubt we played completely different last year. Even if you somewhat disagree with his point you can see he DID have a point. Now..the argument was we didn't have others with the ability to shoot and score etc...but what he was seeing...he was right...the ball stuck last year...only two guys were having a majority of the offense ran through and for...and we didn't fair well when the B1G teams keyed on that and we went through a losing streak. Perhaps the losing streak coincided with the fact of what he saw...and not some conspiracy that a parents tweet caused such turmoil with the team that we went on a losing streak.

Problem is he was/is Justin's Dad. They can call on Monday morning like most parents or former coaches do and ask why their kids aren't getting looks but you never go public. At least most mature adults don't.

I’m a UT football fan...TRUST ME, there’s nothing abnormal about the IU fanbase. Any passionate fanbase is both good and bad. You get both. If you don’t like it go play for some team like Washington State that’s below average in EVERYTHING, is out west where everyone does stuff outside and doesn’t care. 

Get over it dad. Sorry. If you’re gonna be a pain on social media don’t get upset when others are also. Kettle meet pot.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:09 PM, DWB said:

i think it's more like a cult

Archived