Class basketball?

rico

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Don't think I have heard anyone mention this but being in the Jeffersonville sectional, playing Jeff at Jeff was a monster.  They have a major home court advantage in so many ways.  They are not like Indy schools.  They will put 3-4 thousand in the seats and they are loud.  The refs were always intimidated at Jeff.  I have watched basically every small school in the sectional get taken to the woodshed by the refs there at some point.  To go along with the home court advantage.  It just wasn't a fair playing ground.  

Same for the New Albany Sectional.  I'm sure many of you can attest to this across the state.  

At one time New Castle had won 22 out of 25 sectionals but one of those years my school won it and it was a huge deal.  At New Castle you know it holds like 9000 people but New Castle had half the gym and the other 7 teams got the other half of the seats.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Don't think I have heard anyone mention this but being in the Jeffersonville sectional, playing Jeff at Jeff was a monster.  They have a major home court advantage in so many ways.  They are not like Indy schools.  They will put 3-4 thousand in the seats and they are loud.  The refs were always intimidated at Jeff.  I have watched basically every small school in the sectional get taken to the woodshed by the refs there at some point.  To go along with the home court advantage.  It just wasn't a fair playing ground.  

Same for the New Albany Sectional.  I'm sure many of you can attest to this across the state.  

Don't get me wrong.  There were some "issues" with the single class system, at least around me.  But big venues were big venues.  Schools with the biggest gyms usually hosted a sectional.  I played at the Columbia City sectional, in my 4 years of HS CC never won the sectional.  Warsaw, with their history, didn't host a sectional in my playing days they played at Triton.  

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Good point...yeah you never wanted to draw the home team in the sectional....even if they weren't great they would definitely get the calls. Not sure who appoints officials but I remember some really bad games...not just against us but others. Luckily smaller sectionals could be moved around some years but typically it was the biggest gym.

Just now, dgambill said:

Good point...yeah you never wanted to draw the home team in the sectional....even if they weren't great they would definitely get the calls. Not sure who appoints officials but I remember some really bad games...not just against us but others. Luckily smaller sectionals could be moved around some years but typically it was the biggest gym.

If you played new Castle in the sectional who knew you were playing 7-5 back then

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you played new Castle in the sectional who knew you were playing 7-5 back then

Wasn't just sectionals...since high schools hire their own officials (at least they used to) oh my god....if you thought winning on the road in the B1G was tough....jeez some "good ol boys" officiating could make these officials in the B1G look like HOFers.

All I can remember of single class basketball is going to the Washington sectionals every year, watching Michael Lewis lead Jasper to win the 1996 regional,  and my dad taking me to see the last final 4 at the dome.  Dont remember much details but cannot forget the atmosphere.

Just glad I got to experience some of single class. 

On 1/28/2020 at 12:14 PM, 5fouls said:

Year round AAU further separates big versus small.  40 years ago, everyone had the opportunity for same amount of practice.

Nowadays, the top 3-4 players at big schools are playing AAU all spring and summer.

Meanwhile, the kids at the small schools are playing on the baseball team in the spring and no matter how many shots they get up in the driveway over the summer, it can't replicate the benefits of playing against top competition for a travel team.

The gap has gotten enormous.

Honest question:  does AAU influence the game at all for good?

I truly have no idea, but I do know that I RARELY read anything good being said about it.  It comes off sounding like a real cesspool, for various reasons.

29 minutes ago, Radio Zero said:

Honest question:  does AAU influence the game at all for good?

I truly have no idea, but I do know that I RARELY read anything good being said about it.  It comes off sounding like a real cesspool, for various reasons.

In my mind, the only redeeming value is giving players more of a chance against stronger competition.  That said, the games lack structure, so some of the advantage of better competition is lost.  

13 hours ago, Beowulf50 said:

My former high school from many years ago had probably their best year last year!! Shoals has never won a boys basketball sectional.....beat Loogootee twice!! Lost to Barr-Reeve in sectional!! Unfortunately Barr-Reeve wasn’t in 2A last year!! 

I remember as a young coach having no idea what a Jug Rock was, our head coach made it a point to stop by and show on our way to scout at Shoals. I was like oh those rocks that road runner makes fall on Wile E Coyote

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I remember as a young coach having no idea what a Jug Rock was, our head coach made it a point to stop by and show on our way to scout at Shoals. I was like oh those rocks that road runner makes fall on Wile E Coyote

When I was a kid we used to camp at martin state forest. My stepdad had me convinced he put the rock on top. I was a gullible kid. 

11 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Ok. Glad it at least gave you a memory. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm confused. Are you upset he did not know what a Jug Rock was?  Most people probably don't.  

No..... I just don’t care and want to get along with everyone!! For anyone interested though.. Shoals had their best year probably ever last year only to be beat by a absolute powerhouse in the team from Montgomery IN.!!

On 1/28/2020 at 9:42 AM, IUFLA said:

Single class for me too...hell, winning the sectional was a triumph that lived across generations for smaller schools...

Remember Shooter in "Hoosiers" saying, "Clete, you tell him, sectionals of 33, one point down. Five, four, three, two, let er fly...in and out. Yeah, well, I was fouled."

One of many good scenes out of that movie my favorite is when Jimmy makes the final shot.

Archived