2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, agreed. So you think Kyler Murray is worth more than $60M more, Russ is worth more than $35M more, and DeShaun Watson is worth more than $110M more based on their play? 

Because those guys have all set the rate for QB pay, and now you have to pay Lamar comparatively to those contracts for his play. That's just basic economics, and while there may be some sort of market reset on QBs at some point, it is very unlikely to be Lamar who is the one who does that. 

Uhh lord no. I thought that was evident. And no, you don't have to pay Lamar according to those guys contract. Pay Lamar what he's worth. 

1 minute ago, Boiler Sam said:

Must think he can get more on the open market?

I’m not a fan of the Colts trading multiple high draft picks for him but he’d be a huge upgrade over Ryan. 

no shit? lol 

But no, I wouldn't give up much to get Lamar. I certainly wouldn't give him any sort of substantial guaranteed money. 

Lamar for two straights years has had late season injuries that completely derailed the Ravens seasons and playoff hopes last year and chances in the playoffs this year. I don't think that is going to get better for him later in his career, and it could completely derail his career all together.

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Uhh lord no. I thought that was evident. And no, you don't have to pay Lamar according to those guys contract. Pay Lamar what he's worth. 

So how are you determining that?

Econ 101 tells you it’s using those benchmarks and the market rate. I’m open to a new way of thinking, so what is it?

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So how are you determining that?

Econ 101 tells you it’s using those benchmarks and the market rate. I’m open to a new way of thinking, so what is it?

By watching him. Or watching lack of Lamar in the Ravens last like 6 games this season. Watching lack of Ravens in the playoffs last season because he couldn't stay healthy. 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, Boiler Sam said:

That’s how franchise QB contracts are negotiated. 

I’d put Lamar on the Dak level. Good enough to get you to the playoffs but not to a Super Bowl. 

I would take Dak 100/100 over Lamar. But, Dak got 125 million guaranteed.... Lamar asking for more than 133 is laughable.  

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

By watching him. Or watching lack of Lamar in the Ravens last like 6 games this season. Watching lack of Ravens in the playoffs last season because he couldn't stay healthy. 

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't determine market rates for QBs. What are you using to determine what QBs are worth?

If you want to say you wouldn't pay Lamar what market rate is because of his injuries that's totally fine, but that doesn't change his market rate because there are 32 teams and someone is going to pay him. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I would take Dak 100/100 over Lamar. But, Dak got 125 million guaranteed.... Lamar asking for more than 133 is laughable.  

That Dak deal is 2 years old. And his leg had just been snapped in half. He’d get $160-$180 million guaranteed as a UFA now.

Franchise QB inflation is the best inflation. 

• Like 1

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't determine market rates for QBs. What are you using to determine what QBs are worth?

If you want to say you wouldn't pay Lamar what market rate is because of his injuries that's totally fine, but that doesn't change his market rate because there are 32 teams and someone is going to pay him. 

Good QBs with good contracts. He isn't better than Dak, so he shouldn't be paid that way. 

The facts the Cards look like fools shouldn't matter at all to the Ravens. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good QBs with good contracts. He isn't better than Dak, so he shouldn't be paid that way. 

The facts the Cards look like fools shouldn't matter at all to the Ravens. 

If the Ravens don't think he is any better than Dak then that is what they should use as an anchor point, but Lamar is still 4 years younger, has won an MVP, and Dak's contract is 2 years old at this point. All salaries keep going up year over year because the cap does.

If you're the Ravens, you can mess around and let Lamar go because you don't want to pay him what other teams will almost assuredly pay him or else you can just pay him yourself. If you let him go, do you really think the Ravens best shot at Super Bowl is a different QB over getting a run with a healthy Lamar? 

I'd personally be working really hard to get him a WR1 and then try to take some of the running load off of him, which they should be able to do with healthy running backs finally. 

• Like 1

If the Ravens don't think he is any better than Dak then that is what they should use as an anchor point, but Lamar is still 4 years younger, has won an MVP, and Dak's contract is 2 years old at this point. All salaries keep going up year over year because the cap does.

If you're the Ravens, you can mess around and let Lamar go because you don't want to pay him what other teams will almost assuredly pay him or else you can just pay him yourself. If you let him go, do you really think the Ravens best shot at Super Bowl is a different QB over getting a run with a healthy Lamar? 

I'd personally be working really hard to get him a WR1 and then try to take some of the running load off of him, which they should be able to do with healthy running backs finally. 

I think... I am glad I'm not in the Ravens spot. 

The bold wouldn't enter my mind though, if I'm a Baltimore executive. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think... I am glad I'm not in the Ravens spot. 

The bold wouldn't enter my mind though, if I'm a Baltimore executive. 

It’s like the Pacers with Myles, another injury prone guy coming to the end of his contract:

Should the Pacers offer more than $25 million a year? No. (In my opinion) 

Should his agent turn down $25 million a year because Myles will get more than $25 million a year in free agency this summer? Yes.

• Like 2

Heard Mike Florio talking about how the Bengals should handle Burrow's next contract.  He said he thought Mike Brown should just break the unwritten rule and give Burrow a flat percentage of the team's salary cap.  Like give him 20%, I believe is what Florio said.  I don't have a clue, but thought it sounded interesting.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I never begged for Ehlinger to play. I just mentioned I would have used him instead of the others. I also said I would have just him in the RZ and short yardage because our team has struggled with that for years. Most teams use their QBs legs in short yardage and goal to go situations. 

Lamar is overrated. He isn't worth 130 million. If he was offered that and turned it down, he's a fool. 

You are worth what the markets says you are worth. I believe you said you are a teacher. What would you do if another teacher was brought in at your school and found out they were getting paid $25,000 more than you are.  You have been a teacher longer and have accomplished more, would you just say nothing or would you ask for more money than the new teacher.

Edited by IU Scott

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Lamar for two straights years has had late season injuries that completely derailed the Ravens seasons and playoff hopes last year and chances in the playoffs this year. I don't think that is going to get better for him later in his career, and it could completely derail his career all together.

Lots of conversation last week that the decision of the Baltimore OC to retire was based greatly on the realization that Lamar was getting too beat up in the offense they were running, and that they  wanted to bring in a new coach/philosophy more "pro-style." From the interviews I have heard, Lamar understands he can't keep taking the physical punishment, and actually wants to be part of the hiring process in bringing in a new OC.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You are worth what the markets says you are worth. I believe you said you are a teacher. What would you do if another teach was brought in at your school and found out they were getting paid $25,000 more than you are.  You have been a teacher longer and have accomplished more, would you just say nothing or wod you ask for more money than the new teacher.

Well... if I missed 25% of the days I was suppose to work, I would probably not think I had much to bargain with. 

• Like 1

I'm going to play both sides of the fence on this one. I think @btownqb is right that Lamar isnt worth the $250M or whatever he's looking for. 

I wouldn't want my team to give him that given his injury history and style of play. 

With that said, I think @KoB2011 and others are also right. Lamar was smart to turn the Ravens offer down, but like it or not, he's going to get way more then the Ravens offer. Someone, and maybe still the Ravens, are going to pony up for him. It's just the way the market works. 

• Like 2