2023 NFL Discussion

rico

19 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Penix has the talent. But I am trying to think of a college quarterback that was so injury prone, yet went onto a long healthy NFL career.

It's possible, but risky to draft that high imo.

Although I 100% am pulling for him. I am definitely a Penix fan.

He's also awful against pressure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I cannot fathom taking Penix or Nix in the first rd. To each their own. 

A lot of experts had Penix to best QB in the draft if not for injury questions and Nix as the most ready to play today. Heard it every day on NFL radio.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

A lot of experts had Penix to best QB in the draft if not for injury questions and Nix as the most ready to play today. Heard it every day on NFL radio.

There are a lot of really bad experts at the draft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

thats what i was pointing out to you when NFL gm's took penix and nix 8 and 12 but you know better.

Yeah the NFL GMs do a great job (Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Johnny Manziel) at picking 1st rd QBs!! 

54% of QBs taken in the first round don't sign a contract with the team that picks them... yeah I'm so dumb to question them... smh. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, Mitch Trubisky, EJ Manuel, Daniel Jones, Paxton Lynch, Christian Ponder, Brandon Weeden, Dwayne Haskins, Jake Locker, Mac Jones, Blake Bortles, Josh Rosen, Trey Lance, Mariota, Sam Darnold., Blaine Gabbert, Sam Bradford, and JaMarcus Russell .......all were apparently NOT picked by football people. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

You would think they would have at least looked to trade down before taking them. Ballard said he tried to trade up and would thought the Falcons or Broncos would have been willing to trade down. It is obvious either of those two QB's would have been their for their at 15

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom White said:

I don't know about Nix, but I can see it for Penix. Atlanta has their veteran QB (Cousins) under contract for a few more years. That gives Penix time to sit and watch, listen, learn and absorb all he can from a solid starter. I think that is a benefit for him and the team both down the road.

Problem is that Penix is already 24 and if he has to wait 3 years to play that makes him 27

• Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

You would think they would have at least looked to trade down before taking them. Ballard said he tried to trade up and would thought the Falcons or Broncos would have been willing to trade down. It is obvious either of those two QB's would have been their for their at 15

It's unimaginable to me the Falcons not just trying to get Penix with their 2nd rd pick. Idk. 

Vikings, Colts, and Raiders should be thanking other teams. 

Just now, btownqb said:

It's unimaginable to me the Falcons not just trying to get Penix with their 2nd rd pick. Idk. 

Vikings, Colts, and Raiders should be thanking other teams. 

Would have loved for the Colts to get up to 8th and pick Adunze?

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Would have loved for the Colts to get up to 8th and pick Adunze?

The Falcons situation is deeper than just "I don't think Penix should have gone in the first rd"... like if they had signed Cousins, and then picked, you know the YOUNGEST QB in the draft JJ McCarthy, maybe I would have understood it, probably not, but JJ is almost 3 full years younger than Penix. Last night was wild. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Lost amid the slavering over the quarterbacks who went No. 1, 2, and 3 was Nix's supremacy in several critical statistical areas that Payton highly prioritizes. The Broncos had eyes for Nix dating back weeks, and late Thursday night, Payton talked about how the Oregon product "stood out" from his fellow first-round QB brethren.

"I would say that probably early into the process, shortly after these workouts, he stood out in a lot of areas," Payton said on Thursday night following Round 1 of the draft. "You pay close attention to all the film study. Obviously, he’s played a lot of football, but [he stood out in] sack differential, turnover differential, accuracy, third-down passing. [He was] first, first, first, first in this class. First in end-of-half, first in end-of-game, two-minute situations, second in red zone. Then let’s do another passing statistic and remove a lot of the short, underneath throws. Obviously, that’s part of what they do offensively, and you remove that, and you come back with the analytics, and it’s still first. I would say his arm strength was—we saw it at the Pro Day—but even in the private workout, was very good. He’s super smart."

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Lost amid the slavering over the quarterbacks who went No. 1, 2, and 3 was Nix's supremacy in several critical statistical areas that Payton highly prioritizes. The Broncos had eyes for Nix dating back weeks, and late Thursday night, Payton talked about how the Oregon product "stood out" from his fellow first-round QB brethren.

"I would say that probably early into the process, shortly after these workouts, he stood out in a lot of areas," Payton said on Thursday night following Round 1 of the draft. "You pay close attention to all the film study. Obviously, he’s played a lot of football, but [he stood out in] sack differential, turnover differential, accuracy, third-down passing. [He was] first, first, first, first in this class. First in end-of-half, first in end-of-game, two-minute situations, second in red zone. Then let’s do another passing statistic and remove a lot of the short, underneath throws. Obviously, that’s part of what they do offensively, and you remove that, and you come back with the analytics, and it’s still first. I would say his arm strength was—we saw it at the Pro Day—but even in the private workout, was very good. He’s super smart."

He should be better at those categories lol... he's 2 years older than the rest of them!!