2023 NFL Discussion

rico

4 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Again, I am not talking about who the teams that trade up didn't select, but rather who they did select and how much draft capital the teams moving up gave them.

I can go through each draft and find great players who weren't selected where they should have been in hindsight, from Mahomes, to Tom Brady to Puka Nacua.

Again, my original point was trading up for Trubisky instead of staying put and taking Mahomes was worse than what the Panthers did. But that’s my opinion, I understand that you may disagree.

If Caleb Williams or CJ Stroud end up being better than Mahomes, then I will change my opinion.

3 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Again, my original point was trading up for Trubisky instead of staying put and taking Mahomes was worse than what the Panthers did. But that’s my opinion, I understand that you may disagree.

If Caleb Williams or CJ Stroud end up being better than Mahomes, then I will change my opinion.

But there is no guarantee the Bears would have taken Mahomes if they didn't trade up. The Panthers made perhaps the second worst trade in NFL history (after the Vikings/Cowboys Herschel Walker trade) by giving up a ton of capital to take Bryce Young. They gave up WAY more than the Bears did to move up. Yes we all know the Bears should have taken Mahomes now, but that trade with Carolina has allowed the Bears to stack their roster with starting caliber players and like you said, if Caleb ends up being a top 5 NFL QB...

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

But there is no guarantee the Bears would have taken Mahomes if they didn't trade up

But they could have. That’s my point. Not doing so, and instead trading away picks that could have been Mahomes (and 2 other Pro Bowlers), to get Trubisky, is worse than what the Panthers did, in my opinion, at this point. If either Stroud or Williams become as good or better than Mahomes, then I will change my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

But they could have. That’s my point. Not doing so, and instead trading away picks that could have been Mahomes (and 2 other Pro Bowlers), to get Trubisky, is worse than what the Panthers did, in my opinion, at this point. If either Stroud or Williams become as good or better than Mahomes, then I will change my opinion. 

And I’m saying 10 teams could have drafted mahomes. So it wasn’t just the bears who passed on mahomes. If the teams knew he would become the QB he has, he would have been drafted #1 and not even been available for the bears to take.

One thing I will say about the people drafting the QBs this season... while I'm not sold on Maye, Daniels, Penix, or Nix... they are certainly better options than this coming drafts QBs.... MERCY... 

THAT IS AWFUL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Doesn't fit the bottom of the barrel narrative. 🙈🙈

Who said he was “bottom of the barrel”?

His record is the dictionary definition of mediocre. 

Year 8: time to win a division. 

On 8/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, Boiler Sam said:

Not confusing at all. They are headed for yet another bad season with a mediocre at best roster. 

Here's one...

On 8/31/2023 at 4:53 PM, IU Scott said:

They have like the bottom 4 rosters in the NFL 

@Boiler Sam another one.... 

His job is to put talent on the field, he does that. Clearly. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Here's one...

@Boiler Sam another one.... 

His job is to put talent on the field, he does that. Clearly. 

Disagree. His job is to WIN division titles and playoff games. 

I should have said “yet another mediocre season” instead of “bad season”. My bad.

27 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Disagree. His job is to WIN division titles and playoff games. 

I should have said “yet another mediocre season” instead of “bad season”. My bad.

That's actually the players' and coaches' jobs. He can't physically win them anything. Just firing someone because of other people not doing their job would be catastrophically stupid. 

It's just funny seeing all of your complaints dispelled. 

Edited by btownqb

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's actually the players' and coaches' jobs. He can't physically win them anything. Just firing someone because of other people not doing their job would be catastrophically stupid. 

Who acquired the players and hired the coaches ? 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

So with that logic no GM should ever be fired since they don't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. The only numbers that matter is 54-60-1 and that is mediocre at best. He also thought it was a smart idea to hire Josh McDaniel to be his first head coach. Thank goodness he backed out of the new job.

• Haha 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

So with that logic no GM should ever be fired since they don't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. The only numbers that matter is 54-60-1 and that is mediocre at best. He also thought it was a smart idea to hire Josh McDaniel to be his first head coach. Thank goodness he backed out of the new job.

Ummm when you have shit players, players getting arrested, or an inability to build an OL you should be fired. Hence-- a prior GM... who sucked. 

2 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

Who acquired the players and hired the coaches ? 

He cannot go win the games for them. Absolute fact. He puts talent on the field, the graph confirms that. Argue a wall. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Ummm when you have shit players, players getting arrested, or an inability to build an OL you should be fired. Hence-- a prior GM... who sucked. 

He should have been fired but at least he got to the playoffs his first three years and won the division. If that gets you fired so should having a losing record, no division titles and only only making the playoffs twice in seven years.

• Haha 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

He should have been fired but at least he got to the playoffs his first three years and won the division. If that gets you fired so should having a losing record, no division titles and only only making the playoffs twice in seven years.

He shouldn't have. He should have been allowed to continue to build. Firing him might have gotten us another shit GM like Grigson, who drafts Bjeorn Warner and Phillip Dorsett in the first round. 

Edited by btownqb

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He shouldn't have. He should have been allowed to continue to build. Firing him might have gotten us another shit GM like Grigson, who drafts Bjeorn Warner and Phillip Dorsett in the first round. 

I said Grigson should have been fired but if his accomplishments gets you fired so should Ballard's because his record is worst. In the end of the day the only thing that matters is your win) loss record. There is no other place a GM would still have his job after 7 years with Ballard's re ord.

I just don't get your love of Ballard because he has been mediocre at best. He is to conservative and us never willing to make a huge move to get the team better.