2023 NFL Discussion

rico

10 hours ago, btownqb said:

From the draft grades I have seen, the consensus seems to be the Bears and Colts both received between B+ and A for the draft. I don't put much stock into draft grades for 2/3 years, but I do think both teams drafted well this week.

Edited by FritzIam4IU

10 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

From the draft grades I have seen, the consensus seems to be the Bears and Colts both received between B+ and A for the draft. I don't put much stock into draft grades for 2/3 years, but I do think both teams drafted well this week.

I have no clue. Simply sharing what I see. I'd be pretty happy as a Bears fan getting the only QB prospect, imo, that has a chance to be a star in this draft and a top 3 WR. 

As a Colts fan, we need some depth places--- found that. 

The two safeties, corner, and Day 3 WR are all gunna be excellent special teamers and with the new rules could be very valuable. 

Colts still have 20+ million in cap space-- with maybe needing a vet Free safety as their only hole? As their only starter spot missing. Maybe you sign a vet corner, too? But idk if the roster space was there. 

Outside of spending on that--- I wouldn't mind seeing a chunk of that used to extend Ryan Kelley for a year or two. 

I did laugh at espn for having "TE" as a position of need for the Colts, its not. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I have no clue. Simply sharing what I see. I'd be pretty happy as a Bears fan getting the only QB prospect, imo, that has a chance to be a star in this draft and a top 3 WR. 

As a Colts fan, we need some depth places--- found that. 

The two safeties, corner, and Day 3 WR are all gunna be excellent special teamers and with the new rules could be very valuable. 

Colts still have 20+ million in cap space-- with maybe needing a vet Free safety as their only hole? As their only starter spot missing. Maybe you sign a vet corner, too? But idk if the roster space was there. 

Outside of spending on that--- I wouldn't mind seeing a chunk of that used to extend Ryan Kelley for a year or two. 

I did laugh at espn for having "TE" as a position of need for the Colts, its not. 

I think both teams did well and I do read the draft grades as well just as a general reference point.

I was hoping the Bears were going to draft the center Bortolini from Wisconsin...so I was glad that if he didn't go to the Bears, the Colts got him.

It is refreshing that both teams are happy with the draft.  I think both teams have legit chance to make the playoffs next season.

I did see the Bears just signed an undrafted free agent from James Madison, defensive lineman Jamree Kromah, I thought that was cool considering coach Cig coached him.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

On 4/24/2024 at 5:51 PM, IUFLA said:

True, but teams can and do manipulate the numbers...and I'm sure the McCaskeys hire experts in that field...

They all have to spend roughly the same amount. The difference is “how” the contracts are drawn up. The issue for most “small market” and “capital tight” owners is that they can’t afford to put the HUGE $$ into escrow for the giant guaranteed contracts as easily as those owners who are flush in capital. That can limit the structure of their contracts and the ability to attract and retain the most elite players in free agency. So teams can go cheap even when they are meeting cap restrictions. That’s why you see some teams trade guys instead of sign to big extensions as opposed to pushing the cap hits down the road.

On 4/26/2024 at 10:54 AM, btownqb said:

I cannot fathom taking Penix or Nix in the first rd. To each their own. 

I don’t get why you get Kurt Cousins in free agency if you were taking a qb. Talk about not having a plan as an all organization. No leadership there. If they liked Penix they were going to be able to land him all along. Worst case scenario if they got cold feet they could have moved up a spot or two. Guy is now going to be like 26-27 years older of earliest when he starts and you will have given up the benefit of his cheap contect during his early seasons. 

Its funny I heard on the radio a guy say it’s the equivalent of being married and falling in love with a hot girl at the club…well you don’t get to go to the club when your married. You have a family so too bad you’re committed. You don’t get to go to qb pro day and fall in love with a guys arm and spend a first rd pick. Just poor poor job running that team but I mean it’s the Falcons…they also passed on Bill Belichick because the front office feared losing power and influence.

image.png.6cc7511721bece04643444a43d8a6de4.png

image.png.9f9787a41fc7c374a2334e8a4783bdd3.png

Kiper's observation of the Colts. 

I don't really understand the complaints about corner, and don't get knocking the draft because they didn't pick a position that HE felt they needed to upgrade. 

Jaylon Jones JUST turned 22 years old and started in 10 games last year, playing in all 17. 

Julius Brents 2nd rd last year, Kenny Moore is a Top 2-3 slot corner, Dallis Flowers comes back from injury, and with 20+ million in cap, I would be pretty surprised if they didn't sign, at least, one vet corner. 

Either way-- the corner room didn't need anymore youth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

image.png.6cc7511721bece04643444a43d8a6de4.png

image.png.9f9787a41fc7c374a2334e8a4783bdd3.png

Kiper's observation of the Colts. 

I don't really understand the complaints about corner, and don't get knocking the draft because they didn't pick a position that HE felt they needed to upgrade. 

Jaylon Jones JUST turned 22 years old and started in 10 games last year, playing in all 17. 

Julius Brents 2nd rd last year, Kenny Moore is a Top 2-3 slot corner, Dallis Flowers comes back from injury, and with 20+ million in cap, I would be pretty surprised if they didn't sign, at least, one vet corner. 

Either way-- the corner room didn't need anymore youth. 

They must have something up their sleeve for a vet corner. You can’t count on Flowers being 100% back from an Achilles in year 1, in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

They must have something up their sleeve for a vet corner. You can’t count on Flowers being 100% back from an Achilles in year 1, in my opinion. 

that's why Dallis is CB4, at best, anyways. 

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

that's why Dallis is CB4, at best, anyways. 

I don’t think Jones, Brents, Kenny, and Flowers is a group you can go into the season with. 

Love who they did get tho. Replacing Kelly and Smith a year or so ahead of time, more speed at WR, and hopefully an edge who can get pressure when it matters. 

6 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

That trade may end up being about as bad as the Bears trade up for Trubiski. 

The trubiski trade was stupid but the Carolina trade to bears is already way worse. Look at all the players the bears have already gotten from that trade and we still have Carolina’s second round pick next year. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

The trubiski trade was stupid but the Carolina trade to bears is already way worse. Look at all the players the bears have already gotten from that trade and we still have Carolina’s second round pick next year. 

Pat Mahomes disagrees…

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Pat Mahomes disagrees…

When did the Bears trade with KC? I'm talking about who the Bears received in exchange for the #1 pick they traded with the Panthers not every player a team passed over in the draft. 10 teams could have drafted Mahomes in that draft.

19 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

When did the Bears trade with KC? I'm talking about who the Bears received in exchange for the #1 pick they traded with the Panthers not every player a team passed over in the draft. 10 teams could have drafted Mahomes in that draft.

Trading up and drafting Trubiski instead of staying put and drafting Mahomes is worse, in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

Trading up and drafting Trubiski instead of staying put and drafting Mahomes is worse, in my opinion. 

First off, I was pissed when the Bears did this trade, but 10 teams had the opportunity to draft Mahomes and didn't, so clearly most NFL people did not anticipate him turning into one of the best QBs to play the game. Despite the poor decision of Ryan Pace to pick Trubisky, the Bears did not give up nearly as much to move up the 1 spot as Carolina did to jump up and take Bryce Young.

Bears received/selected the following from the Carolina pick:

Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, Caleb Williams, DJ Moore, and the 2025 second round pick, and Tory Taylor since they traded back a spot to get Wright from the spot they had from Panthers.

5 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

First off, I was pissed when the Bears did this trade, but 10 teams had the opportunity to draft Mahomes and didn't, so clearly most NFL people did not anticipate him turning into one of the best QBs to play the game. Despite the poor decision of Ryan Pace to pick Trubisky, the Bears did not give up nearly as much to move up the 1 spot as Carolina did to jump up and take Bryce Young.

Bears received/selected the following from the Carolina pick:

Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, Caleb Williams, DJ Moore, and the 2025 second round pick, and Tory Taylor since they traded back a spot to get Wright from the spot they had from Panthers.

I’d rather have Mahomes than all of those guys. But that’s just me. And then you could have also had Kamara and Mark Andrews too. 

Edited by Boiler Sam

8 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I’d rather have Mahomes than all of those guys. But that’s just me. And then you could have also had Kamara and Mark Andrews too. 

Again, I am not talking about who the teams that trade up didn't select, but rather who they did select and how much draft capital the teams moving up gave them.

I can go through each draft and find great players who weren't selected where they should have been in hindsight, from Mahomes, to Tom Brady to Puka Nacua.

• Like 1